Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

The Ad Said Jd 317 Needs Tlc - How Could I Resist!

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#61 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 04:03 AM

Looks great, Brian! Won't be long until it's a roller!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#62 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 08:22 AM

Looking real good! You make me want to see if the 317 that is sitting in pieces in a yard down the street could be purchased. I know the KT17 is toast again.

Theres a lot of problems to address but I have a plan for most of them. These old tractors are worth restoring IMO although they are not as feature laden or as popular as a 318.

#63 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 10:56 AM

Theres a lot of problems to address but I have a plan for most of them. These old tractors are worth restoring IMO although they are not as feature laden or as popular as a 318.

I agree... and that lack of popularity also makes them more affordable. :thumbs:

#64 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 05:13 PM

Got a few more things dealt with. Installed a steering pivot bushing in the frame, got a bunch of parts from Joes Outdoor power, de rusted some stuff in the e tank and got the funky steering wheel off the steering gear. I'll soon have enough to paint a batch of parts.

I knew I needed a new steering wheel as a small chrome wheel had been welded to a hub and was stuck on the shaft. I cut the wheel off the hub with a grinder and got the steering gear out of the console hole. I then took it downstairs and clamped it in a vise on the drill press and drilled a series of holes in the hub with the press depth set to stop at the shaft. I then took a hacksaw blade and sawed through the remains of the wheel that was welded to the hub until I had it split pretty much down to the threads on the steering gear. I then supported the hub and put a large screwdriver in the saw blade kerf. A couple of bangs with a hammer and it split the hub and it slid right off. I put just a little mark on the flat part of the shaft but the spline was untouched. Heres some pics. I can now service the steering gear and I just have to find another wheel. It might not be that easy. There are none showing on ebay.

DSCF8203.jpg DSCF8198.jpg

#65 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted September 23, 2012 - 05:59 PM

Glad you got the hub off without damage to the shaft!

#66 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 05:21 AM

I like a challenge Kenny and this restore is giving me plenty of them. It felt great when that hub gave way and popped off. Now the next problem is that the threads in 2 of the mounting holes in the steering gear (the blind ended ones of course) are stripped out. I think I'll retap from 3/8 to 7/16" and enlarge the frame mounting holes to match. Someone had tried to lock the bolts in place using a piece of thin metal under the heads that was bent over the flats of the nut. Of course with stripped threads that didn't help one bit. The steering column was loose when I brought it home.

#67 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 07:29 AM

I'm happy you are able to meet these challenges and do a proper fix on them, Brian. How deep are these blind holes? Would there be an option for a heli-coil?

#68 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 24, 2012 - 07:17 PM

Probably about 1 1/4" or thereabouts just by eye. I may have to buy or borrow a dead end tap to get enough threads, but I'd rather just go 7/16 then mess with heli-coils. Stopped by the JD dealer today and ordered a bunch of small parts. Also, air and oil filters, hydro fluid and a carb kit.

#69 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:04 PM

Got some bushings for the front axle. I now need to find a machine shop to do the work. I took the steering gear apart and it's in pretty good shape. I tapped the 2 stripped out mounting holes for 7/16 NC bolts. I've got to remember to bore out the frame mounting holes to accept the larger bolts. Got my parts from JD and with the parts I got from Joe's all the linkage will be new/ replacement parts or have new bushings from the steering gear to the wheels. Continuing to strip a few parts in the E tank and get them ready for paint.

#70 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 05:22 AM

Sounds like you have most everything gathered together. We should be getting some progress pics soon, maybe?

#71 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 10:10 AM

It may be a while Kenny. I need to concentrate on a building project, a lean too wood shed on the side of my garage. I've got the posts poured but the weather has kept me from working on it the last few days. I'm also picking away at the MF8.

#72 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 10:23 AM

I'll be lurking around!

#73 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 03:40 PM

One of the nuts is not even tightened down. It's a good 1/4" from the manifold. That one I can get a clear shot at with the nut splitter. The other one has the clamp for the breather tube bolted under it so is not accessible. I thought of sawing or grinding through it as you suggested. I am putting the penetrating oil to it and will try some heat and see if it comes loose before I start cutting it off. It doesn't look promising.

Is there enough room to weld another nut to the existing one? If so, usually the heat from the welding will break the threads apart and it doesn't transfer too much heat, to the aluminum castings. Just a thought.

Didn't read through the whole thread. Looks like you got the bolt out! : >)

Edited by dave8338, October 03, 2012 - 03:58 PM.

• JDBrian said thank you

#74 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 06:08 PM

Is there enough room to weld another nut to the existing one? If so, usually the heat from the welding will break the threads apart and it doesn't transfer too much heat, to the aluminum castings. Just a thought.

Didn't read through the whole thread. Looks like you got the bolt out! : >)

Yes, I've moved on to bigger and harder problems.LOL! It's now become a winter project with hopefully a launch next spring. I have other things on the go now so can't spend much time on it.

#75 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 05:03 PM

Got the frame in the basement so I can work on it during the winter. I had to get it out of the garage to get the car back in. I got the wheel bearings out of the front wheels and will clean them up for painting. Haven't had much time to work on it but I'm gradually getting most of it into the basement. The engine will stay in the garage. I'm hopeful that Joe will find me a steering wheel. I'm just waiting to hear back from him.
  • Trav1s said thank you