Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

The Ad Said Jd 317 Needs Tlc - How Could I Resist!

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#31 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,601 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 09:28 AM

My thoughts getting the stubborn nuts removed: clean the outer threads with a small wire wheel if possible, give it some heat (use MAP gas instead of propane), cool, PB Blaster, soak, then a bit more heat.

#32 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 07:26 PM

Got both of them off. The first one, the one that was loose, came off with just a bit of wire brushing and penetrating oil. Turns out it was just to hold the cover on,. There is another nut under the cover for the exhaust manifold itself. The one on the other side had the breather tube clamped to it and I couldn't get a box end wrench on it. I bent the clamp up, removed the tube and then flattened the clamp enough to get a box end on it. It still wouldn't budge. Heated it up with a propane torch for maybe 30 seconds, gave it a few taps with a hammer and after it cooled some more penetrating oil. After that sat for awhile I was able to move it a little in both directions. One more round of oil and off it came. Now I can get the breather cover off and see what it looks like.

#33 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 07:56 PM

if it has grease fittings than the drive shaft has been replaced . i put a new shaft in the 317 that i sold for the guy that bought it this past spring it wasnt to bad of a job . if your adapter is bad i do have a good one on my work bench that your more than welcome to have . but it may be cheaper to get a new one than ship this one .

#34 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 06:07 AM

Thanks for the offer Gary. I need to find out what is going on before it ends up ruining the new shaft. It has the grease fittings and still had the JD part no. tag before I pressure washed the tractor. It's a sturdy looking drive shaft, it actually looks stronger than the one on my 2320 24hp diesel. Should get the engine out of it in the next few days.

#35 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 02:53 PM

Someone has done some rough repairs on this tractor. The steering is a mess from the wheel to the axle and I think it may have been rolled at one time. The bracing that holds the steering gear has been repaired using bolts and other metal welded in. Heres some pics of the mess.
DSCF8108.jpg DSCF8110.jpg

DSCF8111.jpg DSCF8109.jpg

Someone also thought it was a good idea to peen the end of the spline on top of the left spindle. My guess is to keep it from turning. The spindles were running dry and the axle pivot was loose, wheel bearings worn and slack every where in the linkage. It was downright dangerous to drive and the steering effort was a good workout.

I think some brake work was done recently because it looks like there are new brake linings and one drum has been replaced at one point - it's green like a 140. Both rear wheels/drums were loose. The castle nuts were not tightened. I don't think they realized that there are 2 holes through the axle so you can usually get it tight on one set. That was an easy fix.

DSCF8116.jpg DSCF8118.jpg

This tractor had the rear PTO and a tiller was with it originally but the PO didn't want it. The hydro fan part is still on the tractor but the shaft is gone. The check valves have been messed with and one was stuck in the up position and there is not much left of the button. I got it freed up but neither one of them return to the up position without a little tug to help. I couldn't test the hydro levers when I picked up the tractors but the valve feels good including the float position.

DSCF8121.jpg DSCF8122.jpg

Well, it's getting torn down to just the frame with the hydro attached and the brake shaft as it appears to be one part that is in good shape, not bent or worn. Just a little update on my progress. I'm not able to spend too much time on it as I have lots of other stuff on the go.

#36 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 02:55 PM

Looks like you are getting things done Brian. :thumbs:
  • JDBrian said thank you

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 04:24 PM

Guess that's one way to 'fix' it.

#38 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Guess that's one way to 'fix' it.

About that "filler" bolt. It hit against the steering gear lever so they ground the back off the nut and washer on the lever. It still didn't turn all the way to the stop in the steering gear. I think I can grind out much of the bolt and get rid of the problem. It's easy to do this stuff now that it's all apart. It is not easy to work on them with all the parts installed. There always seems to be something in the way when you need to get to a bolt or nut.

#39 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Congrats on the "new" JD! Good luck with it! I am sure you will have it in tip top shape in no time!

#40 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,601 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:09 PM

That 317 without the skin looks so much like my 120 it's scary! :smilewink:

Edited by Trav1s, September 07, 2012 - 08:09 PM.

• JDBrian said thank you

#41 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 05:28 AM

About that "filler" bolt. It hit against the steering gear lever so they ground the back off the nut and washer on the lever. It still didn't turn all the way to the stop in the steering gear. I think I can grind out much of the bolt and get rid of the problem. It's easy to do this stuff now that it's all apart. It is not easy to work on them with all the parts installed. There always seems to be something in the way when you need to get to a bolt or nut.

Maybe with it all apart, you can do a better fix on it. I'd bet the original fix had lots of stuff in the way, so that's what they did. I have faith you will at least make it a stronger fix.

#42 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 07:11 PM

That 317 without the skin looks so much like my 120 it's scary! :smilewink:

Yes, it's pretty ugly and the flash brings up the rust. With most of the stuff out of the way I can give the frame a good cleaning, deal with the rust and paint it which will make a big difference.

#43 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 08:15 PM

You think that maybe it had done some offroad time? Find any mud in the deep crevices?

#44 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:18 AM

You think that maybe it had done some offroad time? Find any mud in the deep crevices?

No, the tractor was owned by a school to maintain a fairly large property. I think it had been sitting for a few years before the PO got it. He had done some work on it over the years but when I asked about the steering wheel being replaced he didn't know why. My guess is it was rolled over at some point a fairly long time ago and put back in running order as cheaply as possible.
  • Trav1s said thank you

#45 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 07:02 AM

Amazing, how some people "repair" things. I guess a lot of it is as you say, not being able to have
good access to the area that needs fixing, but I've seen plenty examples of just plain old
butchery.
Good to see you're gonna fix it all up right Brian.