Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

The Ad Said Jd 317 Needs Tlc - How Could I Resist!

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#151 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Sounds good JD., I am going to order some of those engine mounts since you like them. The price is a whole lot better then Deere. Thanks!!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#152 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 10:32 AM

Sounds good JD., I am going to order some of those engine mounts since you like them. The price is a whole lot better then Deere. Thanks!!

I have the part no. for them. They do require some simple fabrication to make them work. There are a couple of issues yet to be ironed out. I am not 100% certain I have the engine level at this point.I'll post later to get some folks with 317's to make a couple of measurements for me. The other issue is that these mounts are not snubbed (limited in their travel in case they break or are subjected to a high load).. The stock plate mounts are inheriently self snubbing when used with a large washer under them. I think these could be snubbed and I plan on doing that but it won't be for a while. i also haven't tried them with a heavy load on the motor or with the front PTO engaged. I have a 49 blower that I may be able to get running this fall to test that aspect out this winter.

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#153 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Well, I got it running late last night and took it for a spin. A few issues. The PTO didn't seem to be engaging. The engine is very noisy, I think it's on it's last legs. The hydro had some creep and was a bit jerky. I think that's a minor issue. I still have a lot of details to sort out. I borrowed the fender deck from the 314. On the + side the headlights work, regulator seems to be charging the battery, steering is good and the engine started almost instantly after not running for almost 2 weeks.

#154 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 05:23 PM

Some of that may go away with use! Good luck with it!

#155 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 03:16 PM

Ok, I have a few pictures. I still have some stuff to add to the tractor but it's functional. The side covers are painted but I'm waiting for the paint to harden up a bit before installing them. The battery is showing close to 14volts when charging. I checked this with a DVM and it's pretty accurate. That seems a bit high to me. What do you guys think. I think the PTO is working but I couldn't hear it engage with the engine running the other night. With the engine off you get a clunk when it's turned on and the pulley is no longer free to turn. 

Photos - It was a nice fall day here! 

DSCF9339.jpg  DSCF9340.jpg

DSCF9341.jpg  DSCF9342.jpg

DSCF9343.jpg  DSCF9344.jpg  

#156 LOW96HB OFFLINE  

LOW96HB

• Member No: 7109
  • 6 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Nice.... :thumbs:

• JDBrian said thank you

#157 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 01:33 PM

JD., That 317 sure does look nice, you have done a very nice job on it. I can't help on a GT ALT. output, but most cars and trucks have an output of 13.8 to 14.6 Volts.

• JDBrian said thank you

#158 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 04:29 PM

JD., That 317 sure does look nice, you have done a very nice job on it. I can't help on a GT ALT. output, but most cars and trucks have an output of 13.8 to 14.6 Volts.

Sounds like it's normal then. I've got to make a new PTO heat shield. The old one was an inverted U and attached to the motor mounts. It's shot, with holes worn through it where the pulley was rubbing and the mounting flanges cracked or broken. I'm going to make one like whats on the 314. It's a flat plate that sits above the pulley. It should be pretty easy to make one. I have some 16g sheet I can use. After that's on there I can get the grill from the 314 installed and get the side covers on it. I think I'll move the sleeve hitch over to the 317 as well. If I end up getting the Snow thrower running I'll need weight on the back and the sleeve hitch would make it easy to add some weight plates on the back. 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#159 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 04:35 PM

That looks great, Brian! I think the alternator is doing it's job. Sounds like the PTO is also. Can't wait for the finally finished pics. You have been at this a while now! That will be a sweet tractor!

• JDBrian said thank you

#160 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 06:50 AM

That looks great, Brian! I think the alternator is doing it's job. Sounds like the PTO is also. Can't wait for the finally finished pics. You have been at this a while now! That will be a sweet tractor!

It's been just over a year since I bought the tractor. A complete frame up restoration takes a lot of hours on a tractor with this many parts! I hope to get the side covers on it this weekend. I need to get this finished as a lot of other non GT projects are waiting.

• KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#161 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 12:24 PM

Brian is making better time than I do. Looks great!

#162 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 09:01 AM

Just an update. I got the PTO shield on and when I went to install the side covers they didn't want to fit. I had to loosen the front trim, the inverted U shaped piece that holds the grill and mounts the hood, and adjust it to get a fit. This isn't easy as you can't get at the bolts when the cover is mounted. I got the right one on but the left one had to wait as the temps have been frigid here lately and it's just to cold to do this kind of work in the garage. Once I get that cover on I'll see if I can snap a few pics and then put the cover on the tractor and store it for the winter.

I have taken the angle drive, hydraulic cylinder and lines off the 49 blower. One line is toast. It looks like the other one was replaced already. The 49 will be my next project. 

• KennyP said thank you

#163 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 03:39 PM

Ok, got the 317 out today and fired up. Went for a little ride and took a few pics of some of the little things I did late last fall. I built a new battery hold down for it from a piece of 1" angle iron and 2- 1/4" eye bolts. I shaped the end of the eye bolt to hook in the holes in the console and then they tighten down to the angle and hold the battery down. It's very much like the stock setup which I've never seen because every one of these tractors I've looked at had the battery flopping around loose. 

DSCF9703.jpg  DSCF9704.jpg

I built a heat shield to put between the muffler and the PTO pulley. I made it like the one on the 314 which is a flat plate. I then fastened it to the engine using  angle brackets using 2 conveniently located holes on the front of the block. You can see it through the grill just below the muffler.

DSCF9705.jpg

I got 1 side cover to fit but couldn't get the other one to line up. My hands were freezing so I left it for a warmer day. 

DSCF9707.jpg  DSCF9708.jpg

• Trav1s, twostep and Sawdust have said thanks

#164 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Just followed your whole project. Very nice job & a lot of issues accomplished. I like the step by step phases you shared it's inspiring to see that someone else takes a long time to do things & do them right.

• JDBrian said thank you

#165 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 05:10 AM

Just followed your whole project. Very nice job & a lot of issues accomplished. I like the step by step phases you shared it's inspiring to see that someone else takes a long time to do things & do them right.

Thanks. A long time for sure. I still have a MF8 ,mostly restored that never gets finished. I started it in 2009! It keeps getting put aside for other tractor projects. This year I'll finish it...I hope!

• Trav1s and Sawdust have said thanks