Kohler Oil Pan Size 341 Vs 321?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 04:30 PM

Does the engine footprint of the 14 hp kohler 321 match that of the 16 hp 341? I am looking at the engine block where it mates up to the oil pan.

I am about done with the rebuild of the Ford LGT165, EXCEPT for the engine work. My machine shop closed down and there was no other local source that was reputable, so I had to ship the work off and am having it done long distance, but is taking a while.....

Anyway, the Ford has the oil pan welded into the tractor - a pan for a 341 engine. I have access to a 321 that I could drop onto the welded in pan IF it is the same size - that way I could test out the hydraulics, drive train, etc until I get the oem engine done and back together.

So does anybody know if they are interchangable?

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 07:03 PM

The oil pan is welded into the tractor! I didn't realize that. I think all the large K's 301, 321, 341 have the same footprint. There are 2 styles of block though 1 with the mounting tabs on the base and the other with the block threaded. I'm not sure if that would matter. Is that what mounts the engine to the tractor - the welded on oil pan?

#3 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,242 Thanks
  • 7,473 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 07:08 PM

There are two different oil pans and blocks. They don't interchange. One pan has the external mounting ears. The other doesn't.

#4 Arti OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11282
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 08:07 PM

The oil pan gasket part number is the same for the 14 and 16 horse Kohler. I don't know if the oil slinger on the rod is different, some pans are shallow. but it should work other than that. To be sure you would need the spec numbers on the motor the pitfalls are,

1. The flywheel maybe different, the bolt pattern is different on some of them so the driveshaft won't hook up.
2. The crankshaft is likely a different size the electric clutch will be an issue.
3. Exhaust will likely be different.
4. Hooking up the throttle and choke will likely be different.

Other than that it is feasible and the 14 hp will more than likely have enough power to run the tractor.

#5 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 08:56 PM

The early Ford LGT's had the oil pan welded in between the frame tubes -AND the front axle mount bracket is built into the bottom of the pan! Makes for a super stiff front end, but kinda hard to change motors used....

I understand that there are WIDE and NARROW versions of the oil pan. The ford uses the wide pan, but I wasn't aware there were two different BLOCK sizes? Will have to check into that...

I THINK (not sure though) that the flywheels are interchangable on the 14-16 blocks - there is a different flywheel for the starter/generator vs the stator model - I do know that...

I wouldn't be hooking up the front pto, just the drive shaft to the hydro. This would be a quick fix for the next couple months to play with the tractor and sort it out until the 341 is back from the shop and reassembled. It won't have to mow or work at this point. Plenty of other mowers to do that for the rest of this season...

Carb and choke are in the same spot so the linkages should work fine as is. The ford uses a pipe fitting and slide over pipe, so if the exhaust is different diameter, I can use a reducer to make it work for the short term.

As far as power, ford offered the same tractor with the 14hp engine as the LGT145, so for most stuff, the smaller engine would work fine if it fits and I didn't have the 16 hp in the oven.

Guess I'll just have to pick up the motor and measure it against the pan to see if it would work. Road trip to be scheduled to get it out of storage.....

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,667 Thanks
  • 39,051 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 04:32 AM

It will all come down to the spec # of the 321 and how the pan attaches to it. Without having it right there, it's hard to say if it will work or not. I hope it does, though.