• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 04:00 PM

I've been web searching for a new drive belt for my '06 Husqvarna GTH2448T. I have the part number from the owners manual - 532140218. New number seems to be just 140218. Either way I come up with belts that are " OEM " but different lengths., in quarter inch increments. 84 1/4". 84 1/.2", and 84 3/4". I haven't yet taken off the old belt to measure it because it's still seems to be working, but I'd like to have a spare handy since it's getting old and I know that Murphy will make it break on a late Saturday or Sunday. I "think" I'd be safe with the 84 1/2" one, but WHY the different lengths ??

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,505 Thanks
  • 30,287 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 04:13 PM

Not sure why some numbers cross as an exact match, but will be different length. See it all the time. The manufacturer of the power equipment make the belts in non-even inch lengths so you think you have to use "their" belts. I find it much easier in cases of plain V-belts just to go to TSC & go to an even length belt. If your drive belt uses a spring loaded tensioner pulley, you likely coul;d go 84" or 85".

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,297 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 04:51 PM

This is what I found,
Lawn Mower Parts 532140218. Length: 84-1/2" •Width: 1/2" Replaces AYP # 532140218. :thumbs:

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,273 Thanks
  • 29,441 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, it is pretty common for the manufacturers to try to pigeonhole you into the OEM belt because no one else carries their weird size. Sears has been good for that over the years.

Our local auto, etc store is really good about taking belts and bringing back the ones you don't use. I usually get the one I think will work, one up & one down.

Good luck in your search & BTW, I edited the title for you.

#5 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 08:30 PM

Yea, I have to agree with olcowhand, many belts are an off size. Spring loaded usually means you can go either one size bigger or one size smaller. I find it is usually better to go to the smaller size, makes no difference. Sometimes, without the spring tensioner, it makes the belt very tight, but in a little bit of usage the belt will heat up and relax or stretch out enough to be just the right size. On my mom’s rider the replacement belt was very tight, I let the boy ride it around for a half an hour before it loosened up enough that the clutch would disengage. He had fun and we didn’t spend the big money for the proper belt.

#6 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 07:03 AM

Thanks guys, for all the answers. Olcowhand, I wonder if it's the manufacturers or sales people who want to sell THEIR belt. John, I found that same belt also at one point. I guess I'll go with that one, since it's "in the middle". Hopefully it will go on easier than the smaller one, and won't loosen as fast as the larger one. MH81, thanks for editing. Bmerf, as I mentioned to John - I'm hoping that the middle size will work. Again, thanks guys ! I'm just trying to be careful and do the right thing.