12 replies to this topic

#1 theatre1444 OFFLINE  

theatre1444
  • Member No: 11302
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 12:23 AM

Hello,
I just found this site the other night when I was trying to learn about my John Deere 210, 38" Deck, Serial# 0210G 082627M. It was purchased in 1977.
I had entered my question into Google (John Deere 210, Belts replacement) and it brought up where you had asked a question regarding a pulley and led me to the Garden Tractor Talk Site.
I registered for the site, although I do not know how to navigate on the site. I have never entered a chat forum before. I typed my information and tried to submit it, although I must be doing it incorrectly because it would not submit. I went back to google and found your information again and am writing to you to ask if you could please tell me how to correctly post my question and how to send this out for help.
The Transmission Belt has slipped off and I do not know how to put it back on.The belt was replaced last year and only has approx. 15 hrs. of use on it. I do not know why it slipped off.
I do not have a manual for my John Deere 210. It was probably lost when my home was ruined during Hurricane Season in 2007.
I have tried calling the local John Deere Dealer who informed me that he made a decision 10 years ago to no longer work on the old J.D. machines and told me to call him when I was ready to buy a new one. I also tried reading on the internet about replacing the belts although I do not understand the information or the parts without a diagram. A neighbor tried to replace the belt and said it was not like the large tractors he works on and did not know how to do it properly.
My John Deere had been in storage for about 10 years and I took it out last year to put it back into service. At that time I also called the J.D. Dealer who referred me to a man who had his own mower business. I made arrangements to take it there. He serviced the carburetor, replaced the belts, blades, spark plug and battery. He told me that it was in good condition for its age.
I used it twice for approx. 3 hrs. each and then it quit. Unable to start it, I took it back and the man ran a by pass regarding some wiring. I used it again for approx. 4 hrs. and it quit again.
I stored it over the winter and when I took it out it started up. A neighbor said that it might be overheating and shutting off. He took off the front side panels and it did not quit again until the belt slipped off.
The man at the mower shop had to close his business and now works for the local J.D. Dealer.
It is just my daughter and I now taking care of 5 acres and I am determined to see that my John Deere is sevriced properly. I would also like to know if there is anyone in my area (Sarasota, FL.)who would be able to inform or teach me how to properly care for my John Deere.
I would appreciate any advice.
Thank You,
Tereza

#2 Kevin Vasich OFFLINE  

Kevin Vasich

• Member No: 7211
  • 87 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 02:39 PM

:welcometogttalk: Greg
  • theatre1444 said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 03:29 PM

A new member asked a question in another topic and I thought it might be best to move that post here. Hopefully, it will get better coverage if it is in a thread by itself.

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 09:17 PM

I'm sorry I don't have time to go over this more thoroughly now, I will elaborate on the diagram tomorrow night.
2011-02-20_162704_drive1.jpg

The pulley on the left side of the picture is the pulley on the inside of your right rear tire.

#5 theatre1444 OFFLINE  

theatre1444
  • Member No: 11302
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 12:04 AM

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I could not read the diagram as the resolution is small. Do you know anyone with a pdf of the repair manual?

Edited by theatre1444, September 05, 2012 - 12:43 AM.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 05:02 AM

theatre1444,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#7 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 09:29 AM

Theater1444, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to hang out and there are a LOT of very knowledgable folks here who can help you on most topics!

IF you click on that diagram that Cat385 put in his post, it will open it in a new window that is larger, so you should be able to make out all the details.

You can also go to jdparts.com and enter your model number to get pictures/diagrams of your tractor and it's systems, as well as parts cost and availablity from your local Deere dealer.

Deere manuals are a touchy subject - read some of the posts on the forum about Deere manuals here, but if you have questions about "how do I remove XXXX" , or "what does this part do?" ask and somebody will give you the info!

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 08:12 PM

On your drive belt, the belt that goes from the variator to the transmission pulley on the rear end: Was the belt in poor condition? If the belt is bad, no worries. If the belt looks fine, then one of the pulleys may need to be looked at. The pulley marked #11 in the diagram is usually the weakest link. Without loosening it, try to wiggle it. If it moves around a lot without loosening the bolt, it may need to be replaced. The outside pulley of the variator sheave could also be an issue, but that usually is a case of the pulley rusting up and not spinning freely. If the belt is off, try spinning it with your hand. It should be easy to turn. If it turns slowly or binds, spray it with a lubrication spray such as WD40, PB Blaster, or my favorite, JD Chain lubricant spray.

To replace or put back on the rear belt, first remove all but one of the bolts on the pulley attached to the rear end. Loosen the remaining bolt, and then loosen the bolt holding the idler pulley (#11). You should be able to re-thread the belt at this time. With the idler pulley still loose, re-attach and tighten the bolts in the rear pulley. (#13) Then re-tighten the middle pulley.

On the overheating issue, it should not be necessary to remove the side tins to keep the engine cool. On the 1977 models, the side tins were louvered, instead of the small diameter screens used on the early models. The louvers are near impossible to clog, so if it is a true overheating issue, it is the engine itself. If there is any residue of oil on the outside of the engine that dirt or clippings are sticking to, clean them off. Pay close attention to the fins on the top and side of the motor on the right side (as seen when seated on the mower) above the pulleys.

I do not believe you have an underlying bigger issue with the engine. If it was overheating in the first 20-30 minutes of running, that would be something to worry about. 4 hours? It's not dying because of a catastrophic issue. Once you get the belt replaced and the machine moving again, we can worry about it dying if it happens again.

Please report back if you have any more questions. I'm sorry I took so long to get this posted after putting up the diagram. My two girls were back to school on Tuesday, and they had stories to tell and homework to try and wiggle out of.

#9 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 11:21 PM

When my 216 started throwing the drive belt my problem turned out pulley #11 had somehow gotten bent,no clue how it happened either.If it turns out you have a bad belt do yourself a favor and buy a deere belt you'll be glad you did.

Not sure if any other 200 series owners on here do this but I find it much easier working on the drive belt,brakes,etc. by pulling the fender pan off,first 5 to 10 minutes well spent.

#10 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 09:42 AM

I am also having somewhat of an issue with my 1980 JD 210 it drives fine yet sometimes hesitates. Engine runs great. When i look down at that #11 pulley iin the diagram it flops all over the place yet never throws the belt. I have owned the machine about 2 months now & havent tried to tighten that pulley. Other issues arose first such as new air filter, plug, oil, flushed rearend, fuel filter. Sounds like alot but tractor was free so no complaints here!!!!

#11 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 09:44 AM

Trying to add a picture of the JD...........hmmmmmm

#12 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 10:00 AM

Welcome Farmlife! Can I make a suggestion? Please start a new thread for your problems as it will help us keep things straight and better get to the bottom of both problems. :thumbs:

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 10:20 AM

Welcome to the forum, Farmlife. I agree with Trav1s. It would be hard to keep things separated. If you look farther down the Forums page there are some videos for help with the forum (posting pics and stuff)