lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 10:02 PM

a good friend mine has a Wheelhorse 414-8 and the he was having problems with the carb on it.
we check the throttle shaft and it had a lot of play in it. I told him that it has a vacume leak the could be the problem and I have repaired several of my carbs. We removed the carb and I took it home to fix. I took it all apart and cleaned it and put in 2 bronze washers 1/4" id and 7/16" od with a little gasket sealer and put the throttle shaft back in with new screws with blue lock-tite.
Gave the carb with a new gasket to put back on the motor to him and told him what I did to the carb.
He looked around his garage and handed me two wheel weight saying he does not use them since he got a heavier set.
wheel weights.png

I had around $2.10 in the bronze washers, screws and lock washers. Not counting the carb cleaner and my time. the carb cleaner took most the the paint off, so I finished removing the paint.

he was happy and so am I.
put the wheel weight on my JD 214
they look and lot better the my home make concrete wheel weights, over 50 lbs each that I have been using for years

#2 CRE1992 OFFLINE  

CRE1992
  • Member No: 11285
  • 28 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 11:25 PM

Nice! I have lots of wheel weights myself! For most of my sets I paid $25 per pair.

Posted Image

#3 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 03:07 AM

a good friend mine has a Wheelhorse 414-8 and the he was having problems with the carb on it.
we check the throttle shaft and it had a lot of play in it. I told him that it has a vacume leak the could be the problem and I have repaired several of my carbs. We removed the carb and I took it home to fix. I took it all apart and cleaned it and put in 2 bronze washers 1/4" id and 7/16" od with a little gasket sealer and put the throttle shaft back in with new screws with blue lock-tite.
Gave the carb with a new gasket to put back on the motor to him and told him what I did to the carb.
He looked around his garage and handed me two wheel weight saying he does not use them since he got a heavier set.
wheel weights.png

I had around $2.10 in the bronze washers, screws and lock washers. Not counting the carb cleaner and my time. the carb cleaner took most the the paint off, so I finished removing the paint.

he was happy and so am I.
put the wheel weight on my JD 214
they look and lot better the my home make concrete wheel weights, over 50 lbs each that I have been using for years

That was a pretty good deal.
  • lyall said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 05:10 AM

Nice trade! I'm trying to picture how you fixed the carb. Did you drill out the carb and use the washers as a bushing?

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 05:46 AM

That's nice for him to do that , I bet if he tried to pay you you wouldn't have taken anything for doing it now both of you are happy , Al
  • lyall said thank you

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 09:22 AM

That is not a bad trade! I am also curious, how did you use the washers?
  • lyall said thank you

#7 Kevin Vasich OFFLINE  

Kevin Vasich

• Member No: 7211
  • 87 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 02:35 PM

Nice I got to get wheel weights

#8 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 08:47 PM

JDBrian and Ryan313
the bronze washers acts as a bushing that is why there are 2 washers. one would work but two fit and give the support the throttle shaft needs

note this work on Kohler carbs number 26, 28, and 30.

the bronze washers fit tight in the counter bore, that is why I use a 1/4" bolt about 1-1/2" long to get them in right

I did not have drill or bore the count hole. the bronze washer just press in.
I just tap lightly on the head of the bolt until the head of the bolt in level with the top of the carb

One carb when I work on it had an o-ring in the counter bore. It was an older carb and I did not have to remove the throttle shaft. the linkage on top of the throttle shaft clamped on it. that was the easiest to fix.

that a look a A-1 Millers web site http://gardentractor....com/a1carb.htm
that is where I got my idea from.
when I went to ACE hardware that is what I could get.

remember when you remove the two screws in the throttle shaft is to be slow and only make a 1/4 turn at a time.
rock it back and forth and advance only 1/4 turn . I have not broken a screw in the throttle shaft. I have done around 10 carbs so far.

once you do one it is very easy
the next time I do a carb - I better take pictures to show how I take the carb apart and put in the bronze washers

#9 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 10:01 PM

Would like to see pics' on those re-builds Lyall. Will be waiting.

#10 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 11:31 PM

I found the pdf on my hard drive so I uploaded it to the Manual section in the Engine Manuals under Kohler
look for Kohler carb_rebuild. it should be on page 6