• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 WHdbJD OFFLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 580 Thanks
  • 451 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 05:34 PM

I painted some small parts with Rustoleum paint, Two weeks later, they still do not feel dry,
No paint comes off on my fingers , they just feel "tacky".
I did not paint in a temp. controlled enviroment,, could the problem be too high humidity?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 05:56 PM

I had the same problem last year while doing my Dads plow. It was the end of summer and really sticky with humidity. They took forever to get rid of the tacky feel. I noticed it most on the areas I had gotten a little thicker.

Word of advice. Do not try to reassemble until that feel goes away. Spray can paint is not nearly as hard as mixed paint and it's much softer until it's dried completely. I finally got them all out in the sun on a bright day with a breeze and that was when the feeling went away finally.

#3 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 05:59 PM

I think a few days in the sun should help you too.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 06:49 PM

If the temp. goes much below about 60f it will really slow down the drying process as well. As others have said a bit of heat may help firm up the paint.

#5 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 06:56 PM

I live right next to the ocean, and its always very humid, but my paint never takes that long to dry. The only time I've run into that problem is when the paint I was using was old. Some time in the sun should help though.

Matt

#6 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 08:30 PM

I always like to paint outside in the sun as I find the heat from the sun makes the paint dry fast.

#7 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 08:31 PM

I would try a diffrent paint. I use a local brand "Freds" and it dryes quickly to a hard finish in 6 hours. Weather playes a big difference too.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 04:40 AM

I too have noticed in the past,the different brands tend to dry at different rates.

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 05:52 AM

I use cans on everything. I don't paint in the sun, but move the parts out there to dry. It does help if the part is warmed by the sun first though.

#10 WHdbJD OFFLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 580 Thanks
  • 451 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 10:34 AM

thanks for all the answers!
It was humid the day I painted those parts, I'll set 'em out in the
sun and see if that helps.

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 08:10 PM

Since your parts were painted two weeks ago, I'd say that you would be safe to rinse the parts down with straight water. Just a gentle spray, no hard stream. This will help in getting rid of the tacky feeling, plus help in added curing. After rinsing the parts, dab them dry with a cloth, do not wipe them.

Edited by johndeereelfman, September 06, 2012 - 05:50 AM.

• mjodrey, cookiemonster and WHdbJD have said thanks

#12 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 11:44 PM

Troy is on the money, the term paint drying is mis leading , the solvents are actually evaporating. once paint gets to a certain point in the evap stage ,running water over it will actually make it harder. Assuming that your paint was shaken well ,your best bet is that the humidity was too high, moisture in the air won't let proper evaporation happen. it can happen to paint out of a gun just as quick and to someone who does it for a living, so don't get discouraged.
  • mjodrey, IamSherwood and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#13 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 11:42 AM

Running water on the parts really help make it harder? I always let my parts get room temp b4 I paint,Let paint dry good b4 coats , follow directions on can, I usually hang them up in the closet anywhere from a week -3 weeks after I'm happy with it,done with the wetsanding whatever. I never heard of running it under water to harden the paint.that really works? I usually put few coats of max on it and when I'm done doing that I wrap them up in shrinkwrap and box em up,that way they dont get messed up. About what temp would you want the water , warm ,cold, in the middle. Could you fill a 5 gal. bucket up and set the part in that for a few min or just dip it a few times. I'm intristed in the water thing since I'm using rattle cans,anything to help make the paint harden I'm gonna try. Any more advice would be greatly apreceiated. Thanks

#14 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 01:52 PM

Good tip on the water!
And while I'm not a big fan of rattle cans on my nicest parts, I would say that putting heat and time to them allows them to be as good as they can.

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 07:06 PM

Yes, water will not only help with the cure time, but will aid in hardening the paint. Now this doesn't mean you wash the parts an hour after painting them. If you painted some parts more than at least 12 hours ago, and find them still a little tacky, then this method will work. You want to rinse them down with clean water. Right out of the garden hose is fine. You don't need to ice it, or heat it up. A fine mist or spray is most desirable, but not a full hard stream. After rinsing or misting them, lightly pat them dry with a towel or rag. DO NOT WIPE THEM!!!! Just because the parts are watered down, does not mean that you will have fully cured paint instantly, but it does cut the curing time in half, if not more. You'll still need to be a bit careful.

I also find that this method gives a much better shine to the parts as well. I have been spraying my parts with water for years like this, but I do it after only six hours of drying time. My paint coats are applied thin for each coat, which helps set the paint up good, and then the water rinse gives it durability. For the guys that like to apply heavy coats, you may want to wait longer than 8 hours before spraying the water. Watering heavier uncured coats can make the paint start to sag, thus ruining a good paint finish.

I recommend that you try it sometime, and see if it doesn't give you a better finish then what you normally get, and see if you can't cut some of your cure time in half.
  • MH81, fishman and WHdbJD have said thanks