• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 behgtp3 OFFLINE  

behgtp3

• Member No: 804
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 25, 2010 - 09:54 PM

Hi everyone! I recently got a Massey Ferguson MF8. It has the Tecumseh HM80 engine although I don't know if it's the original. Overall its in really good condition (considering its age). I need help with a couple issues though.

1. When i opened the side of the engine to replace a gasket, I noticed the governor gear had pieces broken, so I replaced it. I think it broke again because it doesn't seem to keep a consistent RPM. Its hard to tell if the engine revs too high though because I've never had a lawn mower before so I don't have anything to compare it to.

2. While sharpening the blades, I noticed the 2 rivets that hold the blade (on either side of the center bolt) are broken. I've been looking all over but can't find what I need to replace the part with. I can't think of a way to fix it because I'm not even sure if they are rivets and I don't think a bolt would fit.

3. The electric start was working but all of a sudden it wouldn't turn over and I just get a clunk sound when I turn the key. I tried spinning the electric start motor a little and it doesn't seem to get any power at all. I'm not sure if this is a relay or the electric motor itself. Luckily it has a pull start on it too :smile1:

My plans for this mower include a full restoration over the winter, but right now I'm trying to get it running decently enough to mow the yard. And yes, I'll get some pictures up hopefully tomorrow! Thanks for any help!

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 07:07 PM

Your surging could be the slop around the brass shaft in the carb. We played heck trying to find a surge in a larger Massey until we smeared some grease around the shaft, the surge went away. Temporary trouble shooting, not a permanent fix. As for the "Clunk"... I think you have a bad solenoid or a bad connection at a ring terminal. Start at the battery & clean every ring connector, checking for corrosion at each crimp. Also check for a good ground to the motor... I don't think that's it tho because you have enough ground to "clunk" the solenoid.

#3 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 07:33 PM

IMGP1546.jpg I hace a MF 710 mower deck also for my MF7. On your question 2. I not sure what is supposed to go in but mine are nails, I have not used the mower yet although i know it works fine. The nails go through the two spacer washers then blade and looks as like they were bent and snipped off. I'm thinking these are to be soft metal like a sheer pin, but not sure.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 07:38 PM

I believe those are supposed to be roll-pins to hold the blade. TEC governors are really touchy getting them adjusted. Go exactly as manual states to adjust, and be sure to get the jamnut on the shaft good & tight, as well as the screw holding the arm to it.

#5 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 10:05 PM

I want to start going through my mower next so I'm glade to know they are roll pins, makes sense. Thanks olcowhand.

#6 behgtp3 OFFLINE  

behgtp3

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 10:37 PM

I noticed on Bud's picture he has the 2 circular plates first and then the blade, but on my mower it had the blade sandwiched between the 2 plates. Would it make any difference either way?

Thanks for all the help! I'm going to have to find some roll pins and a throttle cable tomorrow. I also took some pictures.

S5005801.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• S5005796.jpg
  • S5005795.jpg
  • S5005798.jpg

#7 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted July 27, 2010 - 06:54 AM

Mine may be wrong. It would change the blade distance within the deck. Something I need to know also.

#8 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted July 27, 2010 - 08:37 AM

Finally found the manuals online. Go to the AGCO site. Under Massey Ferguson search for manuals find " 7 Tractor ". In that they cover everything. The tractor, snow thrower, blade, and mower. The mower shows both round washers above the blade as in my picture. You can do the search as a visitor on the AGCO site.

#9 Guest_Big Bill_*

Guest_Big Bill_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 31, 2010 - 07:46 PM

Buds picture is right. First to go on is P/N 518 418M1 DEFLECTOR, next P/N 517 922M1 WASHER, followed by P/N 517 940M1 PLATE. PINS are P/N 517 938M1. Finally the blade, lock washer, and nut. Be careful of the blade when you tighten that you don't cut yourself. Let me know if you need any thing else. I looked at AGCO Parts Manual on this before for a friend that has a little Massey

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 11:31 AM

Buds picture is right. First to go on is P/N 518 418M1 DEFLECTOR, next P/N 517 922M1 WASHER, followed by P/N 517 940M1 PLATE. PINS are P/N 517 938M1. Finally the blade, lock washer, and nut. Be careful of the blade when you tighten that you don't cut yourself. Let me know if you need any thing else. I looked at AGCO Parts Manual on this before for a friend that has a little Massey

Big Bill
Could you put in a link to the Agco site.
For the life of me I can not find it.:wallbanging:

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 12:09 PM

Big Bill
Could you put in a link to the Agco site.
For the life of me I can not find it.:wallbanging:

Just sign into the lower block as a guest user. AGCO Parts Books
OH...you need to use "Internet Explorer" as the browser. Won't work with Firefox & some others.
  • ducky said thank you

#12 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 12:13 PM

Just sign into the lower block as a guest user. AGCO Parts Books
OH...you need to use "Internet Explorer" as the browser. Won't work with Firefox & some others.

:ok:

#13 behgtp3 ONLINE  

behgtp3

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 01:41 PM

Hey guys! I figured I should give an update on everything. I ended up finding some tapered pins that fit perfectly through the holes for the mower blade. I also got the governor working perfectly. I also got a spark plug wire from Advance Auto and removed the boot from that and replaced the one on the tractor, so now I don't have to worry about that coming off any more!

I mowed the yard Friday and it worked pretty well, but after the first half it was giving me a lot of trouble, it kept dieing randomly. I tuned the high speed needle a bit and it seemed to work better, but then after about 10 minutes it started dieing again. I then saw the intake bolts came a little loose, so I tightened them down and it seemed to work great the rest of the time.

I definately need to get a carb rebuild kit but it's working pretty well for a free mower!

Thanks for all the help, and thanks for mentioning the AGCO website that place is great!