#16 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 03:19 PM

Looks like just one tranny.
It would be worth $800 for what it is... and someone obviously loved it once so that's a good thing. Question is how much do you like to paint? Painting just takes a good bit of time.

#17 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 09:34 PM

I was able to buy this tractor that I have asked about here, that some of you looked at on Craig's list.. Thank all of you for your insight and information. I did inquire about the engine in more detail and established that the steering column is solid and steering has very little play in it. There is a sad story that goes with it. When he bought this tractor he thought it was a JOHN DEERE and THE GUY HE BOUGHT IT FROM TOLD HIM IT WAS. (AFTER ALL IT DOES SAY JOHN DEERE ON THE FRONT) He was not knowledgeable enough to know the difference! What he did not tell me was what he paid for this JOHN DEERE but only that he lost a lot of money by selling it to me. By the way I bought it for $800. I will be tearing it down this fall, cleaning it, stripping it, fixing what needs it, and painting it as a winter project. I am sure that I will be posting more toward winter as I have problems getting it apart or together as well a progress pictures. Mike
  • BowDown said thank you

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 09:38 PM

That is great! Don't worry, these tractors come apart very easily and are simple. If you do however have trouble, we will be here willing to help! Have you decided on paint?

#19 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 09:14 PM

I am going to go with the advice i have gotten from you guys and painting it back to the original color. I own a manufacturing shop where I make horse drawn buggies and carts. I have paint equipment and have done considerable amounts of paint work, sand blasting, and metal fabrication. I have also painted several cars, trucks, implements, etc. As stated earlier, I am buying this for the sole purpose of tearing it apart and restoring it. I have no use for it other than the personal satisfaction of the restoration.

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 05:30 PM

...I have no use for it other than the personal satisfaction of the restoration.

You are on your way to becoming an addict! The longer you stay on the site and get to know the members the more you will notice that is what many of us do! LOL!

#21 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 05:36 PM

TRACTOR IS HOME. I picked up the tractor today. Here is what I found for the good and bad of it. First the tractor is exactly as the seller described it over the phone. It came from an estate and the previous owner had it for over 15 years before his death. All the good stuff first! It has been inside its entire life. The tires appear to be original and not dry rotted hardly at all. The only body damage of any kind I can find is the tip of the hood, which did not hit anything but was lowered all the way to the frame without using the stop, causing a slight bend on the tip of the hood. Other than that the tractor is perfectly strait. Steering column is tight and minimal play in the steering. MOTOR RUNS AND SOUNDS GREAT!!!! The lift looks and works perfect. It shifts very smooth and tight. Now for the bad stuff! The clutch has VERY minimal travel and badly needs adjustment of some kind. I know they are quick release but they surely have more travel than this! The seat is about to fall off of it with a bolt gone and the other about to fall out. The pto does not engage and I can't get it to work and (like a dummy) did not have the seller engage it. BUT he told me he mowed his yard this morning with it before meeting me with it.. there are fresh grass clippings on the mower and inside of the front wheels so I know it was used as late as today. Left fender has the middle brace broken and vibrates. The last and biggest concern about the whole tractor is the starter sounds BAD when I crank her over.... I have never heard one started so maybe they are suppose to sound this way??? I am going to a tractor show on Friday where they will have a couple and hear one started so will know a lot more after that. To repeat.. the motor sounds great, runs smooth, no smoke, etc. So that is my story about the 2418 John Deere/ Economy tractor I bought this week for $800.

#22 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Glad to hear you got it home. I missed the ad. Got any new pics of it?

Edited by LTD, September 11, 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#23 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:57 PM

I have not had a chance to do any photos yet. I worked on the seat... made a bracket and attached the seat properly. What a change that made rather than trying to hang on the thing by the steering wheel.
I just checked and see that the seller has not taken his add down yet. Give it a look as he has several good pictures of it. On Craigs list under Springfield Missouri...... Economy Tractor......then John Deere/Economy

I did go for my first drive. I see how a dual transmission model would be much better. In first gear this thing flys. I am not sure how a person could do a lot of garden stuff with it running so fast even in first gear. When the seller said that he mowed in first gear I thought that the thing had very little power or he sure mowed slow. Now I see why as it mover right out even in first.

#24 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 08:29 PM

There is no adjustment for the clutch. Sounds like it's working properly. There isn't much travel.
  • Buggyman said thank you

#25 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 10:26 PM

I am surprised to hear that there is no adjustment to the clutch, BUT on the other hand just one less thing to fix.
Thanks for the heads up about it.

#26 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 10:30 PM

buggyman, sounds like you did alright on that PK! :thumbs:
That clutch does take some getting used to but they work well once you have a little practice. What tractor show you going to friday? Would that be Republic?

#27 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 11, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Glad it is home!

Like Jeff said, the clutches can't be adjusted. And the draw is very short on them. But, you will get the hang of it quickly.

You say it sounds bad when cranking, it could be the starter. PK#1 does that too, I know it is the starter. The starter is not weak or anything. And as long as it works I am not worried about it. If it does go, these starters are redily avalible.

#28 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 04:33 AM

Every PK I've ever owned (aside from those that had a starter/generator) has had a noisey starter. I grew up beside a PK dealership and one of the earliest sounds I remember is one of these tractors starting up. Of course, you may have one that's unusually loud for whatever reason but that's hard to determine without hearing it first hand. It only lasts a second so if the starter is strong and working well, I wouldn't worry about it. It's right up there with short clutch travel and grinding gears, it just means you own a Power King.

#29 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Tractorholic, The tractor show is sponsored by the Missouri Antique tractor association and is at Eldon. It starts Friday, which is the only day I can go and is a big deal on Sat. Yesterday when I drove past there were already 30 or so tractors sitting out in the area of the activity.