• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 09:21 PM

I apologize in advance for asking as I know it is just a guess BUT... I have run across a 2418 that has good tires, starts and runs ok, has power lift, 3 point hitch, 60 inch mower deck that looks to have the bearing good in it and works ok, The tractor has no dents or rust holes in it. For its age it looks pretty darn good.

Interestingly it has been painted John Deere Green with yellow wheels, John Deere stencils etc. If you did not recognize the tractor you would think that it really is a John Deere. I HAVE NO USE FOR THIS TRACTOR however I like to tinker and thinking of buying it to sandblast, clean and paint this winter (maybe leave it a JD) new seat etc. just because it is not something common around here. NOW FOR THE QUESTION... What do you think it is worth? I can buy it for $1000 or maybe less. I have been thinking of offering $800? Do you think I can at least get a $1000 back out of it after sprucing it up? Thank You... Mike

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 09:27 PM

Buggyman, Welcome to GTtalk, glad you joined us here. I really can't help much but have seen PK's in my area go for 800.00 to 1500.00 in the general condition you are talking about. I would think you would be OK at 800.00 if it's as nice as you say it is. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Post some pictures of it if you can, that always helps out.

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Welcome to the site! If it was still orange, I think it would be worth more. You say it runs "OK" and with the overhead valves on the K361 you have to make sure it runs GREAT! Those engines are trouble if not maintained properly.

I don't like to appraise tractors with out pictures, I can't really give a price since it has been painted. Paint can hide a lot of problems.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 04:43 AM

Buggyman,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

Up here where I live,even $1000 would be a fair price in that condition.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 05:20 AM

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like it has plenty of options, pics always help in these situations.

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 06:46 AM

It's a big gamble. You didn't mention if it had one or two transmissions. Two would be a plus, for anyone that would actually understand the benefits of it anyway. The engine is the downfall. You say it runs "ok" so chances are it needs work. Since there aren't anymore parts available for this engine, well, you get the rest. My guess is the seller knows this. Also, you are not exactly located in a hot bed of PK activity. Many folks may not know what they are and not want to take the chance. I'm trying to play devils advocate here because I don't want you to get stuck with a yard ornament. I can only speak from experience here but the only way I personally ever made money off a PK was to part it out. You have to look at the situation. People are starting to put higher prices on these tractors because they understand what a good machine it is and what it can do. But, while that price is creeping up, the price of the older Kubotas and small diesel tractors are creeping down. The compact diesel really kind of killed the company anyway. If you think you can get it for $800 and sell it for profit, well, you might but the profit will probably be disappointing. There is always the chance that I am wrong and you will get lucky with the right buyer but I've seen too many guys with stars in their eyes until you discuss price. A friend of mine has been wanting one of these tractors for a while now. I let him take a spin on mine and he really liked it. I spoke with him a couple of days later and he said he decided to get a compact diesel. If you want to buy it to keep and use, invest a little money in it and put it to work, then I say go for it. As I say, I don't want to be a downer, I just want you to really think this out. You know your area better than anyone here.

Oh, and welcome aboard. HA! What a welcome from me, huh?

Edited by David Brown, September 03, 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#7 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 11:24 AM

Thank you to those of you who have responded. I appreciate the insight into value while realizing you have not even seen a picture. The tractor is on Craig's list right now. Would you have a look by searching Springfield, Missouri and then for economy tractor. You will see it there. I have talked to the owner and he says he has used it all summer, does not smoke, sounds good and mechanically everything works fine. He says the only issue he can think of about it is that it is cold natured... always starts but sputters around a while. The guy bought it because of the size but shortly after finding it he had a cub come up for sale cheap and bought it so has the two small tractors. SO GOES THE STORY.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 11:47 AM

That is a desent look PK, I think that most of the paint would come off with a good strong power wash. The tires seem to be in good condition also.

here is the link;

http://springfield.c...3153707440.html
  • Buggyman said thank you

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 12:57 PM

Might be a nice tractor if painted back to orange. IMO. I am pretty sure it is from 1978.
  • Buggyman said thank you

#10 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 03:55 PM

It is a little over three hours each way to get it. I am considering offering him $800. If he takes it fine,,, if not I will pass. Next door, I would for sure take it and make it a winter project to restore it. SO YOU DON'T LIKE A JOHN DEERE/POWER KING? Restored as a John Deere in the green would at least make it a conversation piece at local tractor shows.

#11 JeffinIA OFFLINE  

JeffinIA

• Member No: 6212
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 04:01 PM

2 weeks ago, I would have been all over that.

#12 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 77 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Makes me wish that was Springfeild, IL.

#13 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 07:46 PM

I don't know anything about the economy tractors but what I have read on this site. I am somewhat afraid to go down this road with all the talk about engine trouble and no parts for them available. My brother is a mechanic but that does me little good if the parts aren't available to fix the engine if it is bad. I do not live in a hotbed of Economy activity in fact I have never seen one of these tractors in person. The guy who owns it says it is only slightly smaller than a cub but all the pictures look like they are quite a bit smaller than a cub. I have a B7100 kubota and it looks like they are more that size except for the tire sizes being larger?
I am going to decide by tomorrow what to do...any more comments or suggestions are certainly appreciated.
By the way are any decals available for them? Heck, if I have it and painted it orange I could always put kubota decals on it.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 07:48 PM

Restored as a John Deere in the green would at least make it a conversation piece at local tractor shows.

Maybe a conversation piece color scheme, but definitely lowers it's resale value. John Deere guys want true JD tractors, and PK people want correct colors.

#15 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 09:27 PM

I don't know anything about the economy tractors but what I have read on this site. I am somewhat afraid to go down this road with all the talk about engine trouble and no parts for them available. My brother is a mechanic but that does me little good if the parts aren't available to fix the engine if it is bad. I do not live in a hotbed of Economy activity in fact I have never seen one of these tractors in person. The guy who owns it says it is only slightly smaller than a cub but all the pictures look like they are quite a bit smaller than a cub. I have a B7100 kubota and it looks like they are more that size except for the tire sizes being larger?
I am going to decide by tomorrow what to do...any more comments or suggestions are certainly appreciated.
By the way are any decals available for them? Heck, if I have it and painted it orange I could always put kubota decals on it.

The wheels are the same ones used on a Cub. Tractor is a little smaller but more horse power.

Edited by David Brown, September 03, 2012 - 09:28 PM.