• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • Member No: 9183
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to posting something on here and also new to the garden tractor collecting. I've been looking on this website for a bit now its time to introduce myself. I'm not too sure if this the correct spot to this but if not, I' sorry. I'm looking for a front hitch for a 1959 Ride-a-matic to mount a front reel mower that I've recently bought. Not really sure how post pics of what i have collected so far but I'll figure it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Parry

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 09:55 PM

:welcometogttalk: Thanks for stepping in & signing up, in case you have'nt noticed it can be alot of fun around here as well as a learning /sharing type spot, but that's my take.

http://gardentractor...ore&module=help

Hope this link helps you load some pics and yes there is a member intro section, I'm sure more of the guys'll stop by and help you along. Enjoy the forum.

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 10:03 PM

Humey222, First off, Welcome to GTtalk, glad you joined us here. You need to post your "WANTED" item in our classifieds section, it will get more visibility there. Post some pictures when you get a chance, we love pictures..

Here is the link to the Classifieds... http://gardentractor...ms/classifieds/

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,208 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 10:22 PM

Welcome to GTtalk your in the right forum.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 04:39 AM

Welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

If you'd like, please add yourself to our Member Map.
http://gardentractor...member-map.html

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 05:29 AM

Welcome to the forum! Looks like folks have you on the right path above.

#7 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 07:21 AM

Your in the right spot if you own a Bolens of any kind. These guys will help you out in any wy shape or form. Welcom to the sight. I am sure you will enjoy it.

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 07:40 AM

Welcome to GTT.
The ride-a-Matics used a few different style hitches over the years.
It probably would be best if you could get some pictures of your tractor, as well as the model number.

Here's a link on posting pictures http://gardentractor...file-uploading/

#9 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 08:22 AM

To begin, Welcome to this site! ....There is much information available here about your Bolens equipment.

A 1959 Ride-A-Matic should be a model 230. ....Is that what you have?

Which model reel mower do you have? ....Some require the #22734 hitch, while some do not.

Here are some links to manuals posted in the Bolens (Ride-A-Matic) section of the manuals forum. .....As a new member, I believe you are limited to how many manuals you can download at one time, so you may have to download over several visits.

http://gardentractor...447-reel-mower/ Is the manual for the #22447 Reel Mower Attachment which does not require the #22734 hitch.

http://gardentractor...34-front-hitch/ Provides details and parts list for the #22734 Front Hitch Assembly.

http://gardentractor...erchangeabiity/ Shows which attachments mount to which model Ride-A-Matics, and if a hitch is required.

http://gardentractor...01-01-16402-01/ Shows info for 2 reel mower attachments which were introduced for use with Bolens walking tractors, but could be also used with some Ride-A-Matic tractors. .....These require the #22734 Hitch assy. .....The 24" reel mower was not used with the Ride-A-Matics, as it was considered too narrow.

I hope this helps some. ....If you have specific questions, someone here should be able to help you.
  • Bolens 1000, goodnews and Humey222 have said thanks

#10 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 11:40 AM

hello hummey222 and welcome to this great sight you won't regret it and you're on the right path and as you can see these guys love to help you with your questions and problems that makes there day so enjoy hope to hear more and we love pics. in Christ looking for His return

#11 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 02:42 PM

Well thank you very much to everyone! It really does sound like you guys are a good bunch of people. It's very nice to hear! And thanks Bruce for the info. I'll look today to see what model no. it is and go from there. I did download some manuals form the site and yes I can only do 2 in a 24hr time period but thats okay.
Parry
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#12 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 09:48 PM

002.JPG 003.JPG
I think i added the attachments for pics of the tractors that i have but not sure if i did it right. I can't find the serial no. plate for the '59. I measured the reel mower and is 30'' wide and when I got i was told and given a geabox that goes on the front. Its driven by a belt of the engine and looks like it drives attachments for the front. It also has a PTO shaft that comes out the back of it. I assume that is to drive a rottotiller.Not sure if any of this helps. I'm really hoping so.

#13 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 07:18 AM

002.JPG is a 1959 Model 230 Ride-A-Matic

003.JPG is a 1958 model 220 Ride-A-Matic

I measured the reel mower and is 30'' wide and when I got i was told and given a geabox that goes on the front. Its driven by a belt of the engine and looks like it drives attachments for the front. It also has a PTO shaft that comes out the back of it. I assume that is to drive a rottotiller.

http://gardentractor...3609-01-tiller/ Should show the gearbox which I think you may have. .....It is only used for the tiller attachment.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, September 04, 2012 - 07:19 AM.

#14 TGaffney OFFLINE  

TGaffney
  • Member No: 10752
  • 40 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 09:38 PM

I have a 1959 RAM with the front mount attachment - I'll take a picture tomorrow and attach it. Hopefully that will be helpful.

The RAM I am working on was my Father's. He bought it used - probably in the late 1960's and used it for various jobs for 20 or so years. The last 20 plus years it was sitting in a shed. I've been tinkering and have got the engine going and have driven it a bit.

My Dad had also had a plow, a front rotary mower, a sickle mower, a tiller, and a snow blower.
  • Humey222 said thank you

#15 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 10:31 PM

I have a 1959 RAM with the front mount attachment - I'll take a picture tomorrow and attach it. Hopefully that will be helpful.

The RAM I am working on was my Father's. He bought it used - probably in the late 1960's and used it for various jobs for 20 or so years. The last 20 plus years it was sitting in a shed. I've been tinkering and have got the engine going and have driven it a bit.

My Dad had also had a plow, a front rotary mower, a sickle mower, a tiller, and a snow blower.

Not sure if I missed your intro but...Welcome to the forum, Thanks for signing up :thumbs: