coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 10:40 PM

Great sales vid from 1948 about welding on the farm. The first 10 minutes may bring back some memories for some of you and it will definatley show you some farm equipment from the 40s. The middle 10 minutes is a welding fundamentals show. The last 10 minutes is more farm equipment. (very neat hoist idea on the doodlebug). Some great homemade equipment in here.

I am guessing that welders werent common on the farm in the 40s. This is one heck of an advertisment tool from GE. Plus its nice to see people dressing up in suit and tie to goto town (last 10 minutes)

If you watch it, could somebody tellme what the kid on the back of the bailer is doing?

• daytime dave, ducky, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 11:36 PM

I think he may be counting the bales or tripping the tie mechanism?

I was wondering how thick the callouses on that guys hands were that picked up that shovel "right after" being welded.

Also, how didn't they have a fire welding in that hay field?

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for the video link! That was very educational! A video like that would have been helpful when I learned to weld. Instead, my instructor let me make the mistakes and then pointed them out and showed me how to tell what the problem was that caused it.
I love the warbling sound that the audio track was making when they were playing the music in the opening credits. That brought back a lot of memories from watching the film strips in elementary school. Those are the aha momments that I remember from when I was young, asking "Why does the sound do that?" or "How does the projector work" LOL.
The kid on the back of the baler didn't appear to be "doing" much of anything but watching the knotters working. He spotted the broken baler in a hurry, maybe that's why he was there???
I did get to see some of the old equipment fresh off the showroom floor though! There was a Minneapolis Moline in the first minute of the video and then, of course, the Farmall that he used to pull the baler.
The weld that the neighbor made to fix the baler looked like heck LOL! I suppose that it held OK, but I wouldn't have shown it on camera if my weld had looked like that.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 02:41 AM

Great old video! I've been using the mig for so long, I'm not sure if I could arc weld again!

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 04:48 AM

Thanks for the video.Yeah,like Kenny said,I hardly ever use my arc welder any more.Now that I have my MIG welders, the old arc welder just sits.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 06:20 AM

Great video. I picked up a stick welder earlier this year and hope to try it out soon. That short demo video was very informative for a beginner like me.

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for the Vid link. Sure brings back memories.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 10:49 AM

I thought the boy was tying knots until I saw the knotters on the baler. I guess he was just watching to make sure the bales were tied.

Great video, thanks for sharing.

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 12:00 PM

"I thought the boy was tying knots until I saw the knotters on the baler. I guess he was just watching to make sure the bales were tied."

I will agree, because he yelled, "Stop" as soon as a bale wasn't tied and the adult cane back there to investigate the problem.

Edited by KC9KAS, September 02, 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 10:12 PM

I still have some of the old welding books provided by Lincoln electric and others from that time period. I used them for reference when repairing farm equipment years ago. Lot of valuable information in them that is still pertinent today when welding different types of cast iron and high tensile metals. Enjoyed the video a lot. Thanks for the link.

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 11:31 PM

Thanks for that video. It just may inspire me to get an arc welder. I don't weld, but wish I could. That video sure made me think I could.

#12 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 09:52 AM

Broke out the buzz box yesterday, but I see I was doing it all wrong, forgot the dress shirt and tie. :laughingteeth: I wonder what the salesman’s wife thought with all the holes that must have been in that shirt at the end of the day? :spanka: Great video thanks for sharing. :thumbs:
  • caseguy said thank you

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for that video. It just may inspire me to get an arc welder. I don't weld, but wish I could. That video sure made me think I could.

Dave, I have a cheap 110vac stick welder from sears. I have had it for a few years and its a pain to use. Dosent strike an arc good or keep one going in my hands, but I have seen an experienced welder use it and make it look simple. I have practiced and practiced with it butits not forgiving enough for me to learn much on. I do use it though, 5 minute job for an experienced welder takes me about an hour.

I finally had some extra cash and I hit harbor frieght and picked up the 170amp mig welder. OMG!!!!! Now I cant stop finding projects. The learning curve on this machine is is very small, pretty much correct amps, good ground, and pull the trigger and you are welding. It is very forgiving for a beginer. I wished I had spent the money on one a long time ago. Total including the 2 year warranty was less than $250. Sure I would love a miller,lincoln,hobart but I couldnt justify the price of one for what i do. Maybe later I will get a good welder but for now the HF will work just fine.

They do have a small 90amp mig for less than $100. 90 amps wont penitrate much but by thinning the metal and mutiple passes you can weld thick material.

A great reasource for online welding vids is www.weldingtipandtricks.com. You can go to his website or search him out on youtube. His vids have helped me out alot.

Hope this helps.

#14 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 01:17 PM

I love the opening scene with the director and camera man behind the farmer...pretty funny.

#15 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 01:58 PM

Great video! Thanks for posting it.