44 replies to this topic

#16 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 02:44 PM

To answer the question on sealed batteries , anything less than 100 amp/hr is hard on the batts if pushed hard . With experience you can parralel smaller sets . Jerry Rhoades of METI has used 100 amp/hr sealed successfully .
  • sacsr said thank you

#17 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 05:49 PM

Looks not too bad, seems to be all there, a good starting point.
Pull the batteries an clean up best you can, baking soda and water works good for cleaning up all the spilled acid.
3 - 12volt Deep cycle batteries even from Wall mart is good enough to get it going, just check the height of the batteries, make sure you got a little bit of clearance under the seat.

The best place for info, specs, manuals is this site http://www.myelec-traks.com/

How long of time/use would I have with the 3 deep cycle batteries?? I am thinking I could use 1 for my boat, 1 for my trolling motor when I am done.......
At this point, I am thinking it will mainly be used to do some mowing ( less than 1/4 acre of grass) and displaying at a tractor show. It will spend more time under a tarp under my shed than anything else......

I am seeing a guy selling Sears Diehard batteries locally for $450 for 6??? Anyone use these batteries before?? I just hate to put them in and find out the motors are shot, etc....

Thanks,
Scott

#18 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 07:21 PM

I have run as long as 1.5 hrs mowing if grass is tame . The mower motors were rated at 15 amps nomimal and the drive motor at 20 amps for a total of 65 amps - i assume an average load . Have not used Sears batts in this way but if the rating is right go for it. You would have to run the lift motor at 24 volts .I do not use the stock lift strap as it build up on spool and create excess torq demand . I use light garage door lift cable . 3 12 volters and 24 volt lift . Works for me . Fred
  • sacsr said thank you

#19 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Fred, just so i understand correctly, if I were to use 3 deep cycle batteries, with light duty, I could get an hour plus of running time. Would I need to set the batteries up differently in the boxes? Not sure what you mean by 3 12v and a 24volt? We talking more than 3 batteries? Sorry but this is way out of my current skills....will need all the help I can get to learn how to work on these gt's!

#20 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 08:45 PM

I got 3hrs + the first time I mowed the lawn, this was with 6 - 6volt new batteries.
3 - 12 volt would have about 1/2 as many amp/hrs so you would get about 1/2 the run time.
2 batteries in the rear box and 1 battery in the front box.

The lift motor is suppose to run at 18volts, if you use 3 -12volt batteries to power your tractor you cannot get the 18volts for the lift motor, so you just run it at 24volts, this motor runs for short periods of time and I don't think it would be a problem.

Just like Sparky says.

Edited by DH1, September 04, 2012 - 08:52 PM.

• sacsr said thank you

#21 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 08:57 PM

To further confuse and educate all at once - The lights are referenced to minus side of batt pack and are strictly 12 volts . The lift is refenced to the plus side . So the lift and lights woukl both be connected at the + 12 from neg end of batt pack for the three battery combo - this is not the case for all 6 volt batt combos . Still not difficult.

#22 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 09:05 PM

Any of the Walmart deep cycle better than another? Am I looking for a specific type or amount of amps?

#23 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 09:10 PM

Any of the Walmart deep cycle better than another? Am I looking for a specific type or amount of amps?

The more amp/hrs the better, longer run time, battery power rules in the electric tractors.
  • sacsr said thank you

#24 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 09:13 PM

To further confuse and educate all at once - The lights are referenced to minus side of batt pack and are strictly 12 volts . The lift is refenced to the plus side . So the lift and lights woukl both be connected at the + 12 from neg end of batt pack for the three battery combo - this is not the case for all 6 volt batt combos . Still not difficult.

Just blew my mind! I have attached pictures of my rear box. There were to smaller wires that were attached along with the battery cables...what do they go too? Both were on a negative according to my notes and diagram.

Attached Thumbnails

• batterieselectrak.JPG

Edited by sacsr, September 04, 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#25 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 09:20 PM

Those would be be the power to the lights and lift and go to fuse panel in front battery compartment.
  • sacsr said thank you

#26 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 03:16 PM

Okay, cleaned up the front and most of the back battery areas at this point. Pulled the top part of the charger out (grate and timer) and found that the timer wires have been cut......so looks like I may not have a viable charging system on the tractor as this point

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

Edited by sacsr, September 05, 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#27 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 03:26 PM

Congrats,doesn't look all that bad.
  • sacsr said thank you

#28 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 04:44 PM

Okay, cleaned up the front and most of the back battery areas at this point. Pulled the top part of the charger out (grate and timer) and found that the timer wires have been cut......so looks like I may not have a viable charging system on the tractor as this point

Good ac surge protection did not exist before 1990 or so . The neutral was definitely fried . At this point a new improved controlled rate charger should be considered.
  • sacsr said thank you

#29 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 05:11 PM

Do you have any suggestions on a good charger? Anyone have pictures of their set up if they have changed the charger??

So I was heading out the door to pick up my three 12volts......will what you see prevent me from trying out to see if the GT works?

Thanks for the info Fred!

#30 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 05:51 PM

Charging the batts individually will keep it going for now . Jim Coate at Electric Tractor Store should be able to help .
  • sacsr said thank you