• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 08:12 PM

Posted Image....let me know if you need anymore help.

#17 1oldbolens OFFLINE  

1oldbolens

• Member No: 830
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted August 06, 2010 - 07:53 PM

Well I got the old tractor running. Sometimes it runs smoothly and then it will hunt for an idle...then pick-up speed then sloew down then stall. This repeated itself many rimes as I tried to get it running smoothly.

The governor is definetly working. The points, condensor and battery, I converted to battery/coil set-up, are fine and adjusted per the manual. Timing is as it should be. I know its in the carb. I rebuilt it 5 years ago and it will have to be done again.

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted August 06, 2010 - 08:17 PM

yeah, those carbs have to be adjusted just so to get them to run smooth.

#19 1oldbolens OFFLINE  

1oldbolens

• Member No: 830
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted August 08, 2010 - 08:05 PM

I worked on the carb some. The top of the carb is definitely a little warped around the three screw holes where it attaches to the bottom bowl. Likely from overtightening the screws over the years.

I sanded all the gasket surfaces using 1000 wet/dry paper. I laid the paper face up on top of a flat piece of marble and slowly rubbed the carb bodies gasket surface in a circular motion across the paper. The bottom bowl was no problem. Not even the top part of the carb to motor intake mounting flange.

But the gasket surface of the top portion of the carb is something else altogether. You have the cast in alignment nips and the float mounting parts that stick up above the gasket surface. Plus the warpage factor makes it tough to get flat and true. Had to use a small double tipped plastic/rubber mallet to coax the warpage out of it. Slow put sure.

Have to do a little more work on it tomorrow then I'll bolt it back together and see of I can get a better idle and performance from the carb.

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted August 09, 2010 - 07:18 AM

I had the same problem with the S-8D in my 850.
It had a warped carb and would not want to run right. I was lucky enough to have a spare carb laying around so I put it on and it ran great.

I did try and sand down the waped carb, it did run a bit better when I did this but It was very warped so I used a different carb.

#21 themayor70 OFFLINE  

themayor70

• Member No: 8484
  • 4 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 08:50 AM

Thank you immensely Gardentalk... I blew up my engine in my 1050, the rod cap let loose on some heavy tilling, but I happened to have a spare engine, lucky me. It started right up but wouldn't idle, but I'm not a mechanic, and it took me a week to figure it might be the governor, but I still couldn't get to idle and nothing in my manual for set up. Finally did a search on Gardentalk and got just what I needed in 5 minutes time. Love Gardentalk, now I hope I can get it running right!
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you