Garden Tractor Forums banner

Problems After Ff Update..

2K views 39 replies 6 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 ·
Just did an update on Firefox and now I'm not showing to be logged in here at GTtalk on my avatar. Also when I use the full list of emotions, they don't copy by clicking on them, I have to copy and paste.

#6 ·
Daniel make sure you delete the FF profile as well. There is a file in there that will keep FF from running it was shut down incorrectly. You are looking for this file .parentlock. I think if you type in %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles under the run command box it will take you right to it.

Brian it sounds like there maybe some privacy settings set in the upgrade that you may or may not want. Got to Firefox help and search there to see if someone else has the same problem.

#7 ·
Thanks Bill, so it sounds like I need to do it all over again, as when I deleted the program, it had a box to check to delete personal info. I did not check it, so all my personal settings/bookmarks were not erased. No biggie, as I can import them from Google Chrome once I completely delete Firefox.

#8 ·
From what I understand Daniel there are two area's the one I mentioned above and one under your user app settings. I believe you are using windows 7 if so you will find this one under users, your user name, appdata, mozilla, firefox. The wife got the fraudulent Anti-virus malware a couple of weeks ago so when I got the system cleaned up her Firefox would not run so I had to do some research and found out about that file. The firefox online help is quite good except if you are on Linux trying to find out about a window's problem it doesn't display info about window just Linux. Hope you get it working.

#13 ·
Have you already deleted Firefox? Mozilla may have done a good job in deleting all their stuff. I'm just so use to Window applications leaving so much garbage behind when you delete them.

Daniel you have to have an appdata folder. This is where M$ and all your other programs keep your settings and preferences. If you are using Olcowhand as your account name on your computer then it will be users->olcowhand->appdata-> local-> Mozillia->firefox etc. just delete the mozillia folder if it still exist's. Also just check under Program files and make sure the Mozilla folder has been deleted as well. It probably would not be a bad idea to also run cCleaner(or a similar program) the registry tool to make sure nothing is left behind in the registry. Hope this helps.

#15 ·
appdata is a folder not a file. Open the file manager and look about 1/2 down the left side you should see the c: drive. Expand it out and you will see a folder called "Users" (without the quotes) expand it out, then under that you will see a folder with your account user name expand that out. Now you should see a folder called appdata expand it out and you should have a "local" folder, expand it out and you should see several different sub-folders for many of your programs you have installed. See if there is still a Mozilla folder.

#18 ·
Daniel, no you are not going nuts. I'm very sorry but it just dawned on me that the folder is probably hidden. In window 7 go to the organized button and drop it down. About 1/2 way down you will see "Folder and Search options" click on it and you will get a tabbed dialog box come up. Go to the "View" tab and about a 1/4 of the way down you will see a check box "show hidden folders" click on it and then you will see Appdata.

This is something that I have already set up on our Window's computers and had I been sitting in front of yours I probably would have instinctively just gone to the option. Sorry for the confusion.

#19 ·
Thanks Bill! Found a FF file still there. Deleted it, but will have to wait till another time to download a new FF. BTW...when my computer boots up, it mentions some file with "roaming" in it's name being missing. I'll write it down. The reason I mention that is because I saw a similar name in the Mozilla file I deleted.

#22 ·
Open cCleaner and go to "Tool" on the left side then on the right you should see "Startup" look for an entry that calls for the rfxylo.dll file and delete it. You will see 3 buttons on the right, "enable", "disable" and "delete" highlight that entry and delete it. That should cure the problem but I would also run the registry tool until I got a good scan as well.

This is one of the reason's windows slows down, all the crap left behind when you uninstall a program.

#29 ·
sometime you need to clean the registry.
ccleaner is a good tool
using the clean tool for the registry you need to ran several time until it is clean

I also use Advance System Care from iobit.com - it is free or you can buy the pro version
My son has the Advance System Care Pro - it keeps his pc and laptop it good shape
I have not had to clean them since he got it.
I use it a work and also the iobit malware fighter - it also it is or you can buy the pro version

good luck on getting FireFox to work again

#30 ·
I have noticed after the update before this one, that I keep getting a drop down asking if I want to allow FF to go to a different site than what I want it to. I may have to do a complete uninstall/reinstall myself as I can't get rid of it. Doesn't do it all the time, just once in a while. Before I do that, I am going to run all the scans I can to see if something is found. Also, adobe flash player keeps crashing. I did uninstall that and just got a new installation going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.