• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 05:47 PM

I couldn't find the thread where we had talked about being at a parts counter, money in hand, while the counter guys just stayed on the phone instead of tending to customers with money in hand.
Well today I got pissed. Went to Autozone to get a can of rust converter. I went to the register, $10 bill in hand & waited with 3 other customers while the counter guys were both on the phone. I stood there 5 minutes while they yacked, and then one hung up. The phone immediately rang again & he stopped in his tracks to tend to them instead of us live customers. They wouldn't even look at us to acknowledge we were even there. I had enough & put the can on the counter & said I can buy it somewhere else & walked out the door. It's one thing to be busy, but quite another to act like we weren't even there. I will not go back to that store either. The thing is, the Autozone in the town south of me has the best customer service, while this Autozone north of me sucks. Always been this way. BUT, Advance Auto is just the opposite....the one south of me sucks, and the one north of me has good service. I would have been fine if they had just said something to me acknowledging me, but ignore me & I'm history!

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 05:54 PM

I totally agree, Daniel! If they don't want my money, I'll take it elsewhere!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, a phone call is in order to the manager. Let him know what you think of this apparent store policy and it's why they won't be getting any more or your money. Period.

#4 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 06:00 PM

While I know parts counter guys need to take care of everyone and need to be on the phone to take care of that customer. Not even acting like you were there is just wrong. At the dealer they have to acknowledge that they will get to you as soon as they can, or at least send another guy to take care of your business.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 06:07 PM

I would have had no problem, had one of them said "sorry, bear with us" or similar. I would have bought the can & not thought any more about it. My local auto parts store guys can do the phone thing at the same time they take care of me, but they closed at noon, so I was left with this store. I was so aggravated I just went on home, and I'll get the can at my local store next week. I know they give a dang.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 07:12 PM

It seems to be the way business is run these days. I don't know how they stay in business, but they do. I go to the places that treat me the way a customer should be treated, but like you stated, they are not open like those other places. Sorry for your aggravation Buddy..

#7 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 07:23 PM

When the phone rang again the proper thing would be to answer it and say please hold. Where I work we have 3 separate counters and that's the way it's done there. You were right to walk out.

#8 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 07:26 PM

I agree Daniel. They should have at least acknowledged you. They could also have put the phone customer on hold and taken care of real folks waiting in line.

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 07:29 PM

I feel your pain Daniel. We have a NAPA, and Advance and in Temple an AutoZone. I hate to go to Autozone, they try to sell you the store before you leave. The best one around here is Advance, They usually have 3 or 4 people there, unless you go at lunch time, and if say 2 or3 are on the phone they try and get the 4th to help you. But they do acknowledge that you are there. Plus on a lot of things they offer to put it on you car for ya.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 07:49 PM

When the phone rang again the proper thing would be to answer it and say please hold. Where I work we have 3 separate counters and that's the way it's done there. You were right to walk out.

Thanks pharmer, and I well know not all parts counter guys are like this place. Some will break their backs to be helpful & courteous!

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Way to go Daniel. :thumbs: :thumbs:

That sort of "Customer Service" is totally unexceptable. What you did was bang on.
What ever happened to common courtesy?
As Alan said, management should be made aware. Maybe they care.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 08:00 PM

Way to go Daniel. :thumbs: :thumbs:

That sort of "Customer Service" is totally unexceptable. What you did was bang on.
What ever happened to common courtesy?
As Alan said, management should be made aware. Maybe they care.

Already sent a detailed online note to their customer service. Also gave them the address of this particular store, along with date and time of poor service! :thumbs:
  • MH81, caseguy, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 08:26 PM

You did the right thing Daniel. If more people would walk out then maybe customer service would become more of a priority. The worse case I've seen was at a local Apple retailer. I went out of my way to go to the local shop, planning to buy a new Mac Mini and backup drive etc. There were people in line when I got there and the store employee was on the phone. He got off the phone and another person walked in. It turned out to be his buddy and they began to yak about other people, sports, his buddy's business etc. All this yakking was in loud voice so the whole shop could here it. He totally ignored me and the others in the store. After about 10 minutes of this I turned around and walked out. As I was leaving he turned towards me and said with attitude that he would only be another minute. I totally ignored this and walked out without looking or responding, went home and mail ordered my computer from Apple Canada.

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 04:28 AM

I totally agree, Daniel! If they don't want my money, I'll take it elsewhere!

I also agree.

#15 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 09:56 AM

Good for you Daniel. The more people who don't just sit there and take poor service, the better. I'm glad to hear you followed up with a complaint notification.

Tip well for good service. Tip poorly for poor service. Object to bad treatment and walk away if it is not rectified.