• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 08:02 PM

I thought I would see how well I could patch up this air cleaner. There where three cuts, only one of them bent back well enough to where I could put one bead on it and grind it flat. The other s I cut out and put a new piece of sheet metal behind it. It was hard to weld this without burning through it, resulting in some less then good looking welds. I am going to sandblast it, them put some body putty in the patches, sand it down and paint it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I took off most of the hydraulic stuff from the '65. All that is left on there is the cylinder and the two lines. The darn link belt was tricky to figure out, but I got it off.
Posted Image

All of these pieces will be remade, except the L bracket. That I can save. The ends of the rods are drastically worn and have a lot of play in them. For some reason, Economy thought it would be a good idea to use nuts for the rod between the handle and pump to go through. Well, it was not the best idea! I am going to remake them with tubing that is longer to take out some of the play that it had with the nuts, and put some bushings into the tubes.
Posted Image

#32 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 08:19 PM

The engine in the '65 is serial number 4100555 and is a K321, what year would this make the engine. I already know it is not the original engine, I am just curious.

#33 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 09:19 PM

That is pretty thin stuff. On wire feed, the trick is to go hot (hotter than you may think), thin wire, and go fast. Do a seam for no longer than about 3-5 seconds at a time - any more and it will burn through, and then move on to a different part of the seam, allowing for a little time to cool between hits. Bondo should work well on those patches.

#34 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 09:27 PM

I did try to go fast, and I did only do small beads at a time, that is why the welds look so bad. I had the welder set all the way down on the lowest setting. I will have to experiment with it.

#35 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 05:59 AM

Ryan I ahve trouble welding thin metal too . Maybe some of the guys that do it more then us can give us some tips . I wonder if welding the air cleaner you could have used something under the patch as a "heat sink " ? Al

#36 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 06:13 AM

I could have sworn I posted in this thread,but I guess not.Oh well,Ryan,congrats on your "new' machines.

#37 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,382 Thanks
  • 39,648 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 06:20 AM

With thin material, do as Dean says. You'll figure how hot to go. What size wire have you got in there? Heavy wire will heat it real qiuck and burn through. I speed the wire feed up some with .030" wire and more or less spot weld it, moving to different spots so it doesn't get to hot.

#38 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 06:36 AM

What I do when patching something like that,is to cut the patch and the hole the same size.Then butt weld around it.That way the patch is flush on both sides,and if you're lucky,you won't need any fill once the welds are ground down.I have done this many times,and hardly ever had to use fill.

#39 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 06:01 AM

The engine in the '65 is serial number 4100555 and is a K321, what year would this make the engine. I already know it is not the original engine, I am just curious.

The engine is a 1972 Ryan, here is the link were I found it. http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=104266

Nice work on the air cleaner by the way.

#40 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 12:41 PM

K engine air cleaners are dime a dozen!! Swap meets and shops too I bet have lots of them. Why not just grab a diff one and be done? They might want to sell the whole cover and base, but should be cheap. Ebay even? Not worth time/effort to fix that part. My .o2 worth. Hope you are keeping that early hydraulics. Harder to get/make parts, but rarer item for PK's.

#41 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 05:35 PM

Last night I took off the remaining hydraulic components. And, today I got some steel rods so I can remake some of the stuff. I still need a few things.

K engine air cleaners are dime a dozen!! Swap meets and shops too I bet have lots of them. Why not just grab a diff one and be done? They might want to sell the whole cover and base, but should be cheap. Ebay even? Not worth time/effort to fix that part. My .o2 worth. Hope you are keeping that early hydraulics. Harder to get/make parts, but rarer item for PK's.

You are absolutely right, they are a dime a dozen! But, you can always get better at welding! And I wanted to try it out and see how I did.

#42 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • Member No: 25080
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 12:16 AM

Man, you have been busy!! How come I can't find any deals like this in my neighborhood? So, is this the hydraulic unit you used on the 71? Did you get the one from down the street too?

Steve

#43 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 10:33 PM

Man, you have been busy!! How come I can't find any deals like this in my neighborhood? So, is this the hydraulic unit you used on the 71? Did you get the one from down the street too?

Steve

Yes, that is the one! The cylinder, and valve/ pump are the only parts that I ended up using on the '71; everything else I bought new or fabricated.

#44 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 11:11 AM

what ever happend with the tractor down the street?   did you buy it

#45 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 11:21 AM

No, I never bought the one down the road. I never even went to look at it, maybe after I get some room I will see if it is still avalable.