#16 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 04:21 PM

Al, your question about your grapes-Notice the similarity of Downy Mildew in grapes to all the above.

http://www.apsnet.or...ildewGrape.aspx

Then compare it to your raspberrys ? Darnned near the same critter Again !!
http://www.extension...ure/dg1152.html

Edited by Toolpartzman, September 05, 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#17 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Thank you Lee, I have a beautiful crop and just noticed it starting to form on a section.... I have been watching for it with conviction and noticed it starting right at damaged areas . (Wind knocked over a few plants and they touched the ground this is where it started)
Now it is spreading like wildfire even consuming fruit.
It may have been partially my fault too... danged sprinklers came on at 2am for a few days..... Not Good for tomatoes!! I have at least 75-100# of green 'matos and would like them to ripen on the vine. :( dang that crap.....

Frustrating. I feel your pain Keith. Looks like a bunch has to be removed in the hopes some MIGHT live. Same here. I have to decide which roses to kill out just to hope 1 or 2 might live -Tough choice as I've raised 'em from nothing
  • skyrydr2 said thank you

#18 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 07:31 AM

Tomatoes are easy, I too love roses and that would hurt, I know what your going through, I have almost lost my favorite rose from transplanting . I sure hope he makes it as it is my very favorite and he has sentimental value BIG TIME. :(

#19 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 07:38 AM

Tomatoes are easy, I too love roses and that would hurt, I know what your going through, I have almost lost my favorite rose from transplanting . I sure hope he makes it as it is my very favorite and he has sentimental value BIG TIME. :(

Yep, I have one junk rose that was nearly dead when I bought it spring-before-last, but it had a large translucent Pink and yellow bloom on it that was beautiful. At this moment it has 27 buds ready to pop and I've already cut it back twice. I cant replace it so if I have to choose, I'll kill the rest and hope it makes it.

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Here's my raspberries and grapes , they look like what's in those pictures . I ended up ripping the raspberries out tonight , well what was left of them anyway . I've had those raspberries for at least 15 years and the grapes longer , hope I can save them by removing the bad branches . There are some of the tomatoes that look infected too,Al

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0046.JPG
  • DSCN0047.JPG
  • DSCN0042.JPG
  • DSCN0045.JPG
  • DSCN0050.JPG
  • DSCN0041.JPG
  • DSCN0044.JPG
  • DSCN0049.JPG
  • DSCN0043.JPG
  • DSCN0048.JPG

Edited by Alc, September 06, 2012 - 08:32 PM.

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#21 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 03:38 AM

I lost well over 50# of Brandy wine tomatoes.... it is too late in the seasonfor them I quess so they are easily infected. They fell over and that did them in, and rain, we had a little too much all at once. I planted them all through weed barrier and it worked wonderful, but I think black might work better to get them off earlier? There's always next year .... compile this years data and regroup for the next season. I will say this though..... THE SLUGS HAVE TO GO!!!!! What can I spray down to kill them and generations to follow???
I have used over 100# of slug killer this year alone!And they still ruined my celery and made a mess of my califlower and squashes.. Dang these slimy critters!!!

#22 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 05:58 AM

Here's my raspberries and grapes , they look like what's in those pictures . I ended up ripping the raspberries out tonight , well what was left of them anyway . I've had those raspberries for at least 15 years and the grapes longer , hope I can save them by removing the bad branches . There are some of the tomatoes that look infected too,Al

Man that's a shame Al--Could you take some leaves to the County Extension office for an evaluation? Likely too late though ?

#23 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 06:03 AM

I lost well over 50# of Brandy wine tomatoes.... it is too late in the seasonfor them I quess so they are easily infected. They fell over and that did them in, and rain, we had a little too much all at once. I planted them all through weed barrier and it worked wonderful, but I think black might work better to get them off earlier? There's always next year .... compile this years data and regroup for the next season. I will say this though..... THE SLUGS HAVE TO GO!!!!! What can I spray down to kill them and generations to follow???
I have used over 100# of slug killer this year alone!And they still ruined my celery and made a mess of my califlower and squashes.. Dang these slimy critters!!!

'fraid I have no clue what to do about slugs Keith, but I hope the rest of your tomatoes make it.

You've probably tried all this but here's some ideaas especially the BEER TRAP :bounce:
http://www.ipm.ucdav...TES/pn7427.html

Edited by Toolpartzman, September 07, 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#24 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:10 AM

FIRED MY LAST SHOT-SULFER POWDER, THE ONLY THING LEFT IS FIRE.

With no easy answer, I've cut out all the heavy center foilage to vent the plant and removed every
single dead leaf, and cut back all but my 2 favorite roses-which are still blooming--weak and stressed but still blooming.

There appears to be no worsening overnight, so I'll see in one more day before more rain hits.

P9060089.JPG P9060090.JPG P9060091.JPG

#25 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:39 AM

Yep, I have one junk rose..... if I have to choose, I'll kill the rest and hope it makes it.

How about grafting or starting cuttings? Layering works well!

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:48 AM

I hope this helps. I have a soft spot for roses, myself.

#27 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 12:06 PM

How about grafting or starting cuttings? Layering works well!

Yes I have. You can see my first attempt at layering in the photos*, and I've made some cuttings, but I don't hold much hope because of the disease being carried over. The yellow Lowell Thomas, still looks good, but the multi-color with all the tiny buds is really stressed. I had planned on trying layering off a friends huge Japaneze Maple this week, but the rose war has about worn me slick.

Here's a better look:P9070092.JPG

* I just layered it a few days ago and its likely to die before rooting-we'll see. Its a Coral Tropicana that was nearly dead last year
and a week ago had a 10ft wingspan, but only bloomed once.

Edited by Toolpartzman, September 07, 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#28 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 01:11 PM

So, this disease doesn't just attack the roots. It spreads up through the entire plant, right?

#29 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 04:01 PM

So, this disease doesn't just attack the roots. It spreads up through the entire plant, right?

Correct. I haven't learned what it does to the roots yet, but once up into the canes,
it leaves a lateral black streak along the bark. It also makes small holes into the blooms. I've already
cut some canes out and most of the plants back about 20%. All but 2 of these are "disease resistant"
varieties, but the disease doesn't know that.

It starts by appearing like Black Spot, which rarely kills the plant, only defolliates it. This will kill it if not
stopped.