#1 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 10:16 AM

This little fellow will-and does-more crop damage-than deer in the corn and bunnies in the cabbage and short of plant destruction, can't be killed once it begins its work. These photos of my vigorous and seeming healthy roses, don't show this "fungus" at work, but in 30 days there will not be a leaf in site.
And there is nothing I can do to stop it.
P8310083.JPG P8310084.JPG

This group of micro-orgamisms is responsible for the potato famine in 1845 and caused the death of over 1 million Irishmen in 1845. They cause soybean root rot, damage to tomatoes, cucumbers. and numerous leafy vegetables, late potato blight. These are mean mothers. I have a vid to post here of one propagating on a soybean root . Microscope @ 300X
"One of the critters having little-uns"

http://s1259.photobu...0/Toolpartzman/

BASF may have an answer with a spay product called Initium, common name Amectoctradin, that they have introduced in Australia, Europe and just this past May registered in The US. I don't know of a commercially available product as yet-certainly not for backyard gardeners.
UPDATE BASF IS Now offering a product : "OREGO" with both Amectoctradin and dimethomorf.

The Amectoctradin blocks those spores-shown in the vid, from being born. First shipments now 9/2/12.

Edited by Toolpartzman, September 02, 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 10:31 AM

Lee, I'm sorry to hear this. What can you do to keep it from spreading? Burn the plant?
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#3 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 10:38 AM

Lee, I'm sorry to hear this. What can you do to keep it from spreading? Burn the plant?

Cut off every branch and burn it. It will come back next year with the same problem'

I have a neat Film AVI on my desktop to add , but I get a GTT message " You're not permitted to upload this kind of file"". What does that mean Kenny? Copyright or ? I downloaded it in my research and I can view it at any time, but can't post it Any ideas?

Edited by Toolpartzman, September 01, 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#4 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 11:07 AM

The same critters nearly destroyed the French wine industry by attacking grapes, some years ago. They managed to save it with a "home brew" called Burgandy. I've mixed a batch--Sulfer, Hydrated Lime and water and added 1 pint of laundry starch. I've dosed them twice a day since this big rain and hope it works.

I've tried all the common fungicides-Bayer products, Daconil etc-no good and I think --perhaps because they are Fungicides and the Oomycetes are more closely related to a mold--maybe a mold killer will work. This is my second battle with this monster and I would prefer a herd of goats tearing up my garden to this critter.
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 12:23 PM

I should emphasize, that the intended point was not specifically Rose growers but those growing food crops who are familiar with Tomato blight or late potato blight and most other vegetables. I've found that Rose Black Spot symptoms are very similar to the Tomato and Potato deseases, albeit potato blight attacks the roots first.

For over a Century Biologists at nearly every University from U of Wisconsin to Florida have tried to find a way to kill it. Until now growers have had to find desease resistant varieties and continually treat crops during the groring season and hope for success.

The product developed by BASF may be a silver bullet, in that it can kill AFTER its been found, and safe for humans.
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 12:51 PM

Cut off every branch and burn it. It will come back next year with the same problem'

I have a neat Film AVI on my desktop to add , but I get a GTT message " You're not permitted to upload this kind of file"". What does that mean Kenny? Copyright or ? I downloaded it in my research and I can view it at any time, but can't post it Any ideas?

You need to probably upload to photobucket, then link to it here. The software doesn't support it.

#7 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 12:35 PM

You need to probably upload to photobucket, then link to it here. The software doesn't support it.

Got it , along with an update --Thankx Kenny--new tricks for an old dog

#8 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 03:14 AM

Lee where can you get this new stuff? I need some to save my tomatoes? Also need some way to get rid of slugs as they are almost as bad too!!!

#9 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 06:43 AM

Lee where can you get this new stuff? I need some to save my tomatoes? Also need some way to get rid of slugs as they are almost as bad too!!!

Keith, I am anxiously trying to find it and may know something today. I contacted BASF over the weekend and got a reply re: there distributor and rep. Just e-mailed him a few minutes ago. The BASF Product is called ORVEGO and US introduction is starting now--9/1/12. So its going to hard to find. From my research its the ONLY product that prevents reproduction as shown in the video.

I'm begging them for some, and I'll let you know the minute I hear.

Edited by Toolpartzman, September 05, 2012 - 03:13 PM.

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#10 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 10:45 AM

This little fellow will-and does-more crop damage-than deer in the corn and bunnies in the cabbage and short of plant destruction, can't be killed once it begins its work. These photos of my vigorous and seeming healthy roses, don't show this "fungus" at work, but in 30 days there will not be a leaf in site.
And there is nothing I can do to stop it.
P8310083.JPG P8310084.JPG

This group of micro-orgamisms is responsible for the potato famine in 1845 and caused the death of over 1 million Irishmen in 1845. They cause soybean root rot, damage to tomatoes, cucumbers. and numerous leafy vegetables, late potato blight. These are mean mothers. I have a vid to post here of one propagating on a soybean root . Microscope @ 300X
"One of the critters having little-uns"

http://s1259.photobu...0/Toolpartzman/

BASF may have an answer with a spay product called Initium, common name Amectoctradin, that they have introduced in Australia, Europe and just this past May registered in The US. I don't know of a commercially available product as yet-certainly not for backyard gardeners.
UPDATE BASF IS Now offering a product : "OREGO" with both Amectoctradin and dimethomorf.

The Amectoctradin blocks those spores-shown in the vid, from being born. First shipments now 9/2/12.

The BASF Product is spelled "ORVEGO"

#11 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 10:48 AM

Here is what is available in Flordia as of now.

Table 1 – Commercial Fungicides for Use in Managing Downy Mildew on Impatiens walleriana. Commercial Landscape Nursery

Greenhouse
Adorn
(fluopicolide)
Adorn
(fluopicolide)
Adorn
(fluopicolide)
Aliette
(fosetyl-Al)
Aliette
(fosetyl-Al)
Aliette
(fosetyl-Al)
Heritage
(azoxystrobin)
Heritage
(azoxystrobin)
Heritage
(azoxystrobin)
Pageant
(pyraclostrobin + boscalid)
Pageant
Fenstop
(fenamidone)
Protect
(manganese + zinc + ethylenebisdithiocarbamate)
Protect
Pageant
Segway
(cyazofamid)
Segway
(cyazofamid)
Protect
Vital
(potassium phosphite)
Stature
(dimethomorph)
Segway
(cyazofamid)
Stature
(dimethomorph)

#12 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 10:49 AM

Thank you Lee, I have a beautiful crop and just noticed it starting to form on a section.... I have been watching for it with conviction and noticed it starting right at damaged areas . (Wind knocked over a few plants and they touched the ground this is where it started)
Now it is spreading like wildfire even consuming fruit.
It may have been partially my fault too... danged sprinklers came on at 2am for a few days..... Not Good for tomatoes!! I have at least 75-100# of green 'matos and would like them to ripen on the vine. :( dang that crap.....

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 11:02 AM

I'm going to check my tomotoes better tonight I saw some dead vines but thought it might have been from being so dry . Could this infect rasberries & grapes ? Mine are right next to the garden with my grapes on the outside of them . The rasberry plants went from having great ones just a few years ago , last year the plants started dying and now almost all dead . The grapes too looked good just a few weeks ago and now the clusters of still green grapes are dying . Thanks , Al

#14 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 03:10 PM

Have an Update: Ducky is correct the BASF Name is Orvego Sorry for the error- BASF rep says he does not have ARK distribution yet ( the homeowner product)---Which will be too late for me.

In Duckies list above, Aliette (by Bayer) for roses would help but all I can find is commercial/or order on-line and by the time I could get it, same result.

Its important to know that these pathogens (viruses) most times affect several plant species and others may be host specific, i.e., The rose virus " downey mildew" found in Roses only affects roses-nothing else., but there's so many mutants of these viruses that they attack dang near everything. Its key to be certain that the product label refers to your specific problem.

Edited by Toolpartzman, September 05, 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#15 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 03:50 PM

Best Example is Daconil "Fungicide for Ornamentals,Vegeables and Fruit Diseases" contains Chlorothalonil .
Its labeled for Black spot, Septoria leaf spot (late blight Tomatos), powdery mildew and a jillion others but it wont'
TOUCH this Downey Mildew. It did a good job for me killing the black spot until I realized my worst issue was DM.
Heres the Skinny on Downey Mildew on TOMATOS (Blight)

Note Scientific name for the Virus is Phytophtora Infestans** (Tomatos), Phytophthora Parasitica(Buckey Rot)

http://www.inra.fr/h...ene/6phyin2.htm

** SAME CRITTER AS Potato Blight http://www.gardenorg...sheets/dc17.php

Edited by Toolpartzman, September 05, 2012 - 04:12 PM.