• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 burke OFFLINE  

burke

• Member No: 1377
  • 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 06:26 PM

A first post, I believe. I recently purchased a '69 MF10. Serial # 18549. (all my others are JD) I've changed all the fluids, air filter, spark plug, fuel line, tried to clean it up a bit, and now I've come to adjusting the variable speed/variator. I have a '66 JD110 that also has a variable/variator but this Massey is a bit different.

I was needing some assistance in adjustment. I tried adjusting by the service manual I have. I believe I have the correct belts, engine to variator is #515382 and variator to transmission is #515383.

Before I tried to do the variable speed adjustment, the brake/clutch would barely grab the brake drum and it had some 'lurching' starts after putting the tractor in gear. And, pushing down the brake/clutch pedal barely made it possible to change gears. It was easier to put the tractor in gear before you started it and then using the variable speed lever to start the travel.

During the attempted adjustment, I tried to go step by step by the service manual, but when the step came to put the variable speed lever in the lower speed, 1, and sometimes 2, it was as though I were putting it in park, P.

I counted the turns I had made on the adjustment screw under the dash, so I just back stepped and tried to put everything back like I had started with.

It seemed like every adjustment I made either made the brake/clutch pedal not disengage at all, (which it barely did before) or I couldn't get the variable speed lever to go to the lower speeds. It seemed the variator to transmission belt was too short.

I hope I made some sense. This bugger has me stumped.

MF10 #1.jpg

MF10 #2.jpg

MF10 #3.jpg

MF10 #4.jpg

#2 burke OFFLINE  

burke

• 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 08:02 PM

I believe I may have answered part of my problem... I think my brake was way too tight. Once I removed the brake rod to try and adjust the variable speed, I had clutch/brake pedal travel. Enough to disengage the drive and change gears. At the beginning of this latest attempt, the idler pulley was above the frame with the speed lever in park.

MF10 #5 before 2nd adjust.jpg

After this latest attempt of readjustment, the idler pulley now looks flush with the frame.

MF10 #6 after 2nd adjust.jpg

#3 burke OFFLINE  

burke

• 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 08:07 PM

This is how she sits tonight. Messing with that variable speed has wore me out...

MF10 #7 8:31:12.jpg

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Adjusting the Vari-Drive is a little tricky I found but if you follow the manual step by step it works.
After I adjusted mine for the first time I went back and redid it start to finish in case I messed up somewhere, and after that it worked great, everything does what it's suppose to do.

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 08:30 PM

:welcometogttalk: :tractor_rocks: :welcome:

I think disconnecting the brake rod at the clutch pedal helps, I tried to do it without doing that and couldn't get it right. Also, the step with turning the nut however much extra it was supposed to be is COUNTER INTUITIVE! Where it calls for the extra turn(s) in the nut, make sure you turn in the correct direction.

Edited by HowardsMF155, August 31, 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#6 burke OFFLINE  

burke

• 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Thanks. I'll give it another go at it this weekend, maybe. The little time I've been messing with it, I've come to appreciate a few small things it differs from on the JD's.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 04:34 AM

Burke,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 05:09 AM

Welcome, Burke! Changing brands can be a learning experience. Lots of good Massey folks here to help as needed. Hope you get it all sorted out!

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 05:32 AM

Welcome to GTT.
Sounds like you're getting close.

Those look like new belts.
Have you put the shims back into the final pulley?
  • burke said thank you

#10 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 05:44 AM

I will have to play with the adjustment on mine as well. I need to buy new belts before I play with it much. The dicerctions are hard to understand. I have to push my clutch down all the way to release it. I removed I think all but one shim in the back as well.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 07:14 AM

One thing to keep in mind is the belt guard at the engine. If that isn't there (or is missing parts) the clutch won't release properly.

The guard is also a guide to help the belt stay at the proper radius to slip on the engine pulley.
  • burke and IamSherwood have said thanks

#12 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 12:05 PM

Every time I see one of those old Masseys it brings back memories of mowing my Grandparents yard with their MF12. I will have one one day. Welcome to the site.

#13 burke OFFLINE  

burke

• 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 06:38 PM

Welcome to GTT.
Sounds like you're getting close.

Those look like new belts.
Have you put the shims back into the final pulley?

You know, I never recognized the shims and where exactly they were until I read your post and went back and read the service manual again. But, there they are!

MF10 trans pulley 9:1:12.jpg

I think I counted 4. I gather you put shims into the pulley to get the belt to ride lower in the pulley?

#14 burke OFFLINE  

burke

• 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 06:40 PM

One thing to keep in mind is the belt guard at the engine. If that isn't there (or is missing parts) the clutch won't release properly.

The guard is also a guide to help the belt stay at the proper radius to slip on the engine pulley.

Thank you for that. I went back and put it back on...

MF10 belt guard 9:1:12.jpg

#15 burke OFFLINE  

burke

• 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 06:42 PM

In my cleaning up, I broke one the the headlights. Dropped right outta there...

MF10 front 9:1:12.jpg