#1 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Does anyone else know of a piece of equipment that you would love to have and you know where one sits... rusting away... and the owner won't sell it...

So a guy in our new neighborhood came by last night and took me to see a couple old cars he's got while we were walking around looking at all of his old iron I kept my eye on something that was sitting in front of his garage... finally got the change to go look at it. He has a Case 648 with a D100 backhoe on it and is just letting set out there rusting away. He claims it's got a hydraulic issue that doesn't allow the front bucket to lift much weight and it won't run in high range... Of course the first thing i asked is if he was wanting to get ride of it. I mean it looks like it's in his way right? He said it was his dad's and that he'll never sell it. booo.

looked like this one but more cracks in the tires, more rust and less colorful paint:

backhoe.JPG backhoe2.JPG
(pics belong to Joe's Outdoor Power)

Tell me your story of a rusting away gem...

Edited by olcowhand, August 31, 2012 - 11:43 AM.

• jpswift1 said thank you

#2 JakeKuhn ONLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 12:37 PM

Well my godfather ran into this and won't sell it, he has no clue what it is just won't sell! Its most of a pond lever steer, every wheel horse collectors dream! All the hard parts to get are there and you could make the ones its missing.

Posted Image

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 09:11 PM

There was a Wheel Horse 14 HP Kohler with a FEL on it. It sat on the sidewalk for many, many years and the guy wouldn't sell it. Now the guy has health problems and his son has the GT...it is not on the sidewalk anymore.
I am not interested now, I have a Wheel Horse D200 and a FEL for it.

The guy is the brother of my wifes brother-in-law, and he couldn't get it either!

#4 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 09:28 PM

I have tears in my eyes and hard to type... that poor Case needs to find itself a new home.... :(

WHAT a machine ! ! ! ! !

That would be my " Holy Grail" of a GT, on a steroid kick... :firejumper: OH, just imagine the fun. Do you ever think he "may" part with it ? :smilewink:

You need to save the poor thing. I can hear it whimper, from here...

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 04:40 AM

Yes,I know where is a Case 446 just sitting,and has been for about 15 years.I have tried to buy it different time with no luck.

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 09:22 AM

I have tears in my eyes and hard to type... that poor Case needs to find itself a new home.... :(

WHAT a machine ! ! ! ! !

That would be my " Holy Grail" of a GT, on a steroid kick... :firejumper: OH, just imagine the fun. Do you ever think he "may" part with it ? :smilewink:

You need to save the poor thing. I can hear it whimper, from here...

No, i don't... only because it was his father's. BUT he is also a VW freak so I might have better luck going at it from that direction. Find something that he would want more and try to trade...

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 05:33 PM

I know of a few things that either I can't use or the seller simply wants too much money for.

'59 Chev one ton flatbed. The sheet metal is mostly there, minus floorboards, block is cracked, bed is rotted out. It's been through two floods, so chances are that the tranny and rear end are toast too. Pretty much a basket case, but the frame and remaining sheet metal are solid. He wants $3000 or he won't sell. I can get my hands on a fresh 350 and a turbo 400 transmission with a phone call, Rear ends are a dime a dozen, and I know two guys who will redo the floor for me for materials and beer. The bed is just carpentry. I've got a standing offer of $500 in on it.

There's a Massey 55 sitting on a farm about an hour east of here. It's complete and the engine still turns. Too big for me, but somebody could give him a couple hundred and get it fixed up. Nobody wants it though.