11 replies to this topic

#1 WH1056 OFFLINE  

WH1056

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4545
  • 64 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 06:46 PM

I'm sure this tractor is considered "old news" by some of you since it was built more than four years ago. It hasn't even been out of the shed more than five or seven times since the 2008 WHCC show, and sometimes I even forget that it's here.

At the time that tractor was built, some of the RedSquare forum "regulars" were hot on the idea of custom tractors with whitewall tires, flat black paint, and just a generally nostalgic look. I dabbled just enough with MS Paint to come up with my take on a hot rod-looking tractor and once I posted the drawing, I was asked when I was going to build the real thing.

This is the drawing:
Posted Image

The factory where I was working closed down in March of 2008 and I was (involuntarily) left with lots of free time, so I rooted a frame and transaxle of of my parts pile and dug right in.
The parts pile (frame & transaxle are in the lower left corner):
Posted Image

I knew I wanted this thing to be cool and fast, but being unemployed not only deflates one's pride, but also one's wallet. :smilewink: The main goal was to use as many Wheel Horse parts as possible - although most would be moderately to severely modified. Buying high-dollar parts was definitely out of the question.

Within an hour, I had stuck a few more pieces together and removed about 10 or 12 inches out of a late 60's long hood. A "spare" 7hp Kohler engine was placed as far back on the frame as possible and I fired up the camera for the first of many hideous photos of my attempt of progress:
Posted Image

A belt guard was shortened and some smaller front tires were fitted:
Posted Image

I decided to swap out the front axle for a '60/'61 Suburban piece - and of course I had to see it in flat black:
Posted Image

The frame was stripped and drilled for the small block Kohler. Two lower steering shafts were joined with a sleeve and welded to the proper length. I also raised the front axle mounting hole as high as possible to lower the front end even more:
Posted Image

I wasn't happy with the extremely short hood, so I built another a little longer.
Posted Image

I also cut out the headlight opening portion and added a section of grille bars removed from another hood.
The top section of an old MTD lawn tractor hood was flipped upside down and formed into a cowl induction hood scoop, and the front nose was fabricated from steel plate:
Posted Image
Special thanks to Eldon G. for a helping hand with his board sander!
Posted Image

The engine began as a bare K181 block from a B-80, and after several hours and a mixture of parts from various engines, a full port & polish job, a new set of rings, and a few other tricks, it was together:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Somewhere in between, I swapped the old 3 speed tranz for an 8 pinion 8 speed from a C-101, adding a 4" engine pulley and a 2.5" tranz pulley. Engine is goverened @4000 rpm and runs best on AVGAS. (plus it smells real good!)

Although I had located a source for low profile 12" rear tires (no whitewalls though), buying them was not possible right away. Over the course of the next week or two, I sold a few things and came up with enough cash to buy the two rear tires, and the two front tires and wheels. Some days I worked and forgot to get pictures. The wheelie bars were built with old mini-bike shocks, hydraulic tubing, and caster wheels from the hardware store, the hand clutch/brake mechanism was built using part of an implement lift lever, and the sheetmetal was cut, welded, and fitted many, many times. The next thing I knew, it was ready for the test drive:
Posted Image

It had a mind of it's own at speed and needed more caster, so I cut the front axle plate out of the frame, shortened and angled it to match the rear mounting plate that I bent forward. I also redesigned the drag link / tie rod assembly:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Once the bugs were worked out, it was torn down for paint and slowly reassembled.
Paint is actually Krylon Cherry Red and Satin Black aerosol:
Posted Image

The exhaust was built from steel tubing and a Supertrapp muffler body with a homemade silencer:
Posted Image

A Midwest Super Cub foot throttle was added:
Posted Image

Posted Image

All done except the decals:
Posted Image

With decals:
Posted Image

This was all done in three months and was definitely much more than a simple tear it apart, paint it, and reassemble it project. The gas tank, tank tray, and aluminum dash housing are the only three parts I did not modify - except for the black paint.
Thank you for having a look! :thumbs:

Edited by WH1056, August 31, 2012 - 07:28 AM.

• Newpaws493, bowtiebutler956 and LilysDad have said thanks

#2 WH1056 OFFLINE  

WH1056

• Contributor
  • 64 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Motion pictures:

• KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#3 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 07:26 PM

I love it, and a very cool story! :thumbs:

Matt
  • WH1056 said thank you

#4 chaentjens OFFLINE  

chaentjens
  • Member No: 10983
  • 100 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Great story!! I love how it came out!!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
  • WH1056 said thank you

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for sharing, that's a sweet, unique piece. Shows low budget doesn't mean low quality. :tractor_rocks: :rocker2:
  • WH1056 said thank you

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 08:38 PM

That is an awesome project and I love the end result! Very cool! Thank you for sharing the story, the pics, and the videos!
  • WH1056 said thank you

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 08:48 PM

Great job! I love the reworked grille! :thumbs:
  • WH1056 said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 03:02 AM

That is one cool machine! Thanks for sharing you adventure!
  • WH1056 said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 05:02 AM

Very, very nice custom work on that tractor. You are very good at taking what you have on hand and making it work for you! Thanks for posting!
  • WH1056 said thank you

#10 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 07:29 AM

How is the job situation, now???

#11 WH1056 OFFLINE  

WH1056

• Contributor
  • 64 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 07:41 AM

How is the job situation, now???

Going well, thanks. :thumbs:
I am the head equipment technician at a private golf course / country club where I maintain close to 200 pieces of equipment.
Needless to say, my stuff doesn't get much attention once I make it home.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 07:55 AM

Glad to hear that, Terry. This has been an eye opening thread. You have taken 'spare' parts and made a one-of-a-kind tractor. Pretty cool!