#46 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 10:53 AM

Congrats on the new additions! There's some variety to choose from and hopefully enough there for decent transplants and fix ups. Good luck with the upcoming choices of projects.

#47 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 10:59 AM

I like to state that this tractor may not be as rare as it looks I bet bolens did stuff like this alot over its time so who knows how many there maybe and what ones we have seen but over looked till now.
Doc its about time you write up another tube frame dateing book.

I agree, Bolens changed alot of stuff during their production runs, especially during the early years of a tractors production.
It still would be neat to own one of these "transition" tractors

#48 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 10:06 PM

Well everyone,
WHAT A DAY!!! This is a long winded story, but its a good one!! So here we go! I went out like I stated in my last post to reorganize the garage and back barn. So I pulled out the 800, and the mutt bolens from my front shop so I could move all the attachments, and the 55 gallon barrel bolens out into my back barn. I also had my truck still hooked up to the trailer with the 4 Bolens resting on top of it sitting next to the shop. Next thing I know a blue f250 pulls into my driveway and A guy jumps out and is kinda looking at the 4 on the trailer. Im figuring he wants to inquirer about one of the machines on the trailer or one of the others outside. So I come out of my shop and say hello, He introduces himself as Jeff, and says he's noticed numerous times while driving by that I collect or repair Bolens. I explain that I do collect them, and I try to restore them in my spare time. Well he then says, "Are you interested in buying another one." I kinda laughed and explained to him that I'm currently in the dog house with my wife and my dad because I have spent alot of money this past week on 5 Bolens tractors, so I'll entertain the offer depending on what it is. Jeff said he worked at a local driving range as a equipment repair man and he has been maintaining this bolens for years. He said it had 2 new rear tires, a new starter, a big motor, hydrallic lift, hydro trans, and large mower. He pointed at my 800 and said its bigger than that, and then pointed to "the mutt" and said it was also bigger than that. Then he looked in the garage and pointed at my 1050 and said its that size. So I was confused and asked if it had a tube frame. He said he didn't really know what it was. So I asked what was wrong with it, he said the deck was shot because the mower keeps throwing the belt, the ignition switch was bad so he wired in a push button under the hood, it has no battery, so I could run it, but he said it ran great when he parked it last year, and the tractor has been sitting for a year outside because the owner(Paul) of the driving range bought a new reel type mower for the grounds. I then asked what Paul was looking to get out of it. Jeff said probably a couple hundred bucks, but heres the Paul's number. So I thanked Jeff for stopping and he went on his way, I gave the owner Paul a call and asked if I could come and check the machine out, and how much he exactly was looking to get for it. He said he was gonna consult Jeff and we could discuss the price when I look at it, Paul was worried because he just sold off a golf cart for $300 without consulting Jeff and Jeff told him he gave it away. I explained that Jeff was the one who said it was worth a few hundred bucks, but the owner wanted to call Jeff anyway. So I quickly packed up all my stuff, unloaded the 4 Bolens off the trailer and gathered all the money I had left to my name in my toy fund, and started heading over to the driving range. I pull in the lot, and there it is up against the driving range fence, The one Bolens I always wanted, but could never afford, A LARGE FRAME!!! I go around and get greeted by a worker running the driving range. He said the owner and wife had left, but he would help me. I check it over, and it turned out the the worker that was helping me used to run the machine all the time. I asked him if there were any problems with it. He said it always worked great, but the deck would constantly throw the belt off. So the owner Paul got sick of messing with it so he bought a new machine, and set the bolens outside. So I called the Paul, and he changed his mind on price. He now wanted $350 for it. I told him without atleast hearing the thing run, I was scared to jump on it for $350. He then stated he wouldn't go any lower than $300 for it. I told the Paul that the most I could do was the $200 we orginally discussed because thats all I brought, and thats all I currently have to spend without getting a divorce. Paul said he would just part it out then. So I told Paul that I would have to pass then and I sadly hung up. The worker asked what Paul had said. So I told him, and the worker said "let me talk to him, I dont know what his problem is." So he called Paul and then came back over to me. He said Paul wants me to negotiate with you, but I'm not going to bother. Bottom line, give him $250 and its yours. I then pulled my wallet out, and emptied my pockets, to show the worker that I seriously didn't have that kind of money, I counted every dollar I had in front of the worker, and all that I came up with is $218. I told the worker I would love to buy it for $250, but I have no more money, all I have is $218 left to my name. He said " sorry he said 250, so I thanked him for his efforts, and said I just couldn't swing the money. So I sadly began my sad walk to my truck, trying to figure out if I wanted to push my luck and ask my dad for more money, or even tell my wife that I needed more money to buy tractor #6 of the week, and #7 of the last month. I decided it would not be a good idea to try either route, and just to forget about it. So I jumped in my truck, took a last final look at it through the windshield. Fired the truck up and was about to pull away,when the worker ran out and waved me down as he was on the phone with somebody. He hung up his phone and said, I got Paul to take the 218. If you want it, its yours.I said deal! We then had to figure out how to get it all the way out and around the range and up on my trailer. It wasn't rolling at all, and it was way to heavy for 2 of use to man handle all the way out to my truck. So we went into the range shop and borrowed the battery out of the reel mower, and hoped the Bolens would fire up. I hooked up the battery, and spun it over. A few rotations of the motor, and vroooom!! it fired up. I sat on it and drove it all around the range, and up onto my trailer. I payed the worked the $218, thanked him about 18 times for helping me out, and drove off to meet my wife for dinner! Man am I a happy camper!! I took 2 pictures, but it got dark too quick. Its alittle rough, but seems to be mechanically sound except for the deck issue. The deck itself is solid, and not shot like the repair man jeff had said, I just have to figure out why it throws the belt.
Also where or how can I figure out what model it is??? They painted black over everything, and I cant find any tags on the tractor or motor. Eventually I will restore this beast, but for now I have a LARGE FRAME work horse!!
p.s.- Brian, I also took the pics of the 800 you asked for.

Attached Thumbnails

• b 800 1.jpg
  • b 800 2.jpg
  • b 800 3.jpg
  • b 800 4.jpg
  • large frame 1.jpg
  • large frame 2.jpg

• sacsr, Newpaws493 and MailmAn have said thanks

#49 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 10:48 PM

OK...given that it's a twin, and has the cut out for the oil filter, that would make it an 1886-02, -03, or -04 if it has an Eaton transmission.

If it has the Sunstrand transmission it would be an HT18, HT20 or HT23, depending on the engine.

That's the best I can do. There are other guys here that know a lot more about the Large Frames, and I'm sure they can narrow it down for you.

If you download the Large Frame Service Manual, it will show you where to look for the data tags.

Edited by OldBuzzard, September 01, 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#50 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 11:01 PM

:huh: Not sure if I should congratulate now or wait til' morning after the dust settles...but you are on quite a roll my good man :thumbs: Once the word spreads, I guess people will just start dropping em off at your place, without even speakin to ya :bounce:

#51 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 11:26 PM

Well you got there is ether a HT18 or a early HT20 I am thinking a HT20....

Should be a tin on top of the engine with a tag on it for the mod# of the tractor if the top engine tin is not gone.

Edit,
Looks like top engine tin is there and there could a be a ID tag next to drivers side foot rest on the dash tower.
I need better pics to help you.

Nice buy and welcome to the large frame world!

Edited by wilberj, September 01, 2012 - 11:29 PM.

• fonz3482 said thank you

#52 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 06:38 AM

Congrats on the largeframe
I think $218 is a pretty good price to pay!

As for the 800, the PTO and shifter decal are correct for 64' but the Hi/Lo decal and shift knob are from a 63'

#53 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 06:48 AM

Well you got there is ether a HT18 or a early HT20 I am thinking a HT20....

Should be a tin on top of the engine with a tag on it for the mod# of the tractor if the top engine tin is not gone.

Edit,
Looks like top engine tin is there and there could a be a ID tag next to drivers side foot rest on the dash tower.
I need better pics to help you.

Nice buy and welcome to the large frame world!

Thanks wilberj, Welcoming me to the large frame world FINALLY is a good thing, but now I gotta start collecting attachments and accesories for them also. I think I opened up another can of worms. But for now I better take a break, and replinish my funds.
I will get better pictures today, and try to find a I.D. tag somewhere. I tried to find one at the range with no luck, but I was quite distracted by the bee's trying to sting us(we destroyed there home behind the dash) and the golfers hitting balls our way. I am actually surprised the tin work, although the paint is ugly isn't more beat up. There was atleast a dozen golf balls all over the machine, and I figured it would of got all dinged up from people hitting it. But luckily The tins are decent.
So now that I've joined the Large frame world, I have a few questions. Are parts somewhat more available for these tractors?? Are the kohler engine parts more available?? What common issues do I need to look for, or watch for throughout the whole machine??
I have a battery charging to go in the beast! I can't wait to get outside and unload it to really check it out. The problem is, I went out to clean and organize my shops yesterday, Well they ended up being more messed up and unorganized then they were when I started because I rushed to clean up to go look at this machine. Oh well, time to start over!

#54 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Apon further investigation today, Its a ht20. I believe the tag on top of the motor said 2072?? I also found a few other things. Theres a saftey switch that hooks to the brake pedal, and attachment lever. It is broken off its little mount, so I had to zip tie it to keep the tractor running so I could unload and move it. On me drive from the trailer to the garage my foot got quite warm, so I found the exhaust pipe blown out by the foot pedal, and 2 broken studs on the exhaust flange. It also moves fine forward, but is kinda slugish backing up, BUT i was backing uphill, and the throttle was between idle and 1/4 throttle(I hope to god the hydro trans isn't worn!!). Also the ignition switch is bad. I tried another one off a parts machine, but no good. I have power(12v), at 3 spots on the connector, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to wire in aftermarket ignition switch. The after market one says batt.(battery), Acc.(accesories), st.(I assume is start or starter) and Ign.(ignition). Stock one says B-(battery??), G-(ground??), M( ????), L(lights??), and s(starter???) If anyone has any words of advice for the above issues, please chime in. Thanks!

#55 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 12:00 AM

Sorry to both pull a :hijacked: as well as technically get back ON topic (from what this thread originally started as anyways, I believe?) I do have a question, but I didn't want to create a whole new topic for it. So, I thought I would throw it here. In any event, here goes...

Does anyone know what the heck this thing is and what it is for?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4841eca5ac

It is listed as being for a tube frame tractor and all the guy has for a description in the listing is that it is a "Left-Hand Gearbox". Does anyone know what this is, what it does, and/or what it is for? I'm kind of curious about it (and if it is a good price). $90 seems PRETTY steep for me for a part I don't even know what it is. (But chances are if IDK what it is, I probably don't need it! lol.) It kind of reminds me a bit of a front PTO belt attachment, but that is used to run something off of the side of the tractor somehow? Not quite sure. I'm sure one of the Bolens aficionados on here should know what this thing is!

Both Thanks and Sorry again!!! :smilewink:

#56 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 05:49 AM

Does anyone know what the heck this thing is and what it is for?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4841eca5ac

It is listed as being for a tube frame tractor and all the guy has for a description in the listing is that it is a "Left-Hand Gearbox".

It is a right-angle gearbox, but it was not made by Bolens for a tube-frame tractor. .....If it is tube-frame related, it would be from an attachment manufactured by another company.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#57 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Great story and great buy! Thanks for sharing!

#58 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 07:36 AM

It is a right-angle gearbox, but it was not made by Bolens for a tube-frame tractor. .....If it is tube-frame related, it would be from an attachment manufactured by another company.

:ditto:

Its definietly not from a tubeframe.
The paint would indicate its from the 80's and is most likely from an Eliminator/XL series or another tractor from that time period
  • MailmAn said thank you

#59 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 09:11 AM

It is a right-angle gearbox, but it was not made by Bolens for a tube-frame tractor.

Well, my only OTHER thought was that it looks like it might have been for either a Ride-A-Matic then or like a Versa-Matic or Handi-Ho... But evidently not that either, if it looks like it is from the 80's or something! It might not even be Bolens then, you're telling me? Interesting... I guess some people don't even know what they have...

Edited by MailmAn, September 03, 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#60 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 09:17 AM

Well, my only OTHER thought was that it looks like it might have been for either a Ride-A-Matic then or like a Versa-Matic or Handi-Ho... But evidently not that either, if it looks like it is from the 80's or something! It might not even be Bolens then, you're telling me? Interesting... I guess some people don't even know what they have...

I always get a kick out of sellers on ebay who have no idea what they are selling and yet they still make up a description on what they think its for. If you dont know what it is , just state it in the listing! :wallbanging:

Looks like it may be the gearbox for the XL series snow casters.... http://sonnys_bolens...18311-02-06.pdf
  • Bruce Dorsi and MailmAn have said thanks