John Deere 318 Mower Deck

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hennessey54 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10809
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 11:51 PM

My son (he is 10) and i have recently come to own a 1990 JD 318 with a 48" deck. We have a lot of work to do on this project this winter and will be posting pictures soon. We've noticed that the front of the deck hangs lower then the rear when raised. Is this due to the adjustment arms on the mule drive or something else? I'm sorry for such a simple question, but I don't see how you level the deck.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,667 Thanks
  • 39,052 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 03:53 AM

Welcome to the forum! Someone should be along to help with the deck questions soon!

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 04:52 AM

Welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.
I am not a JD guy,but someone will be along after a bit to help you.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 05:48 AM

Welcome to GTtalk , nice to have you and your son here . I have a 318 and am pretty sure it raises and lowers level . Maybe someone else has had this problem and will be able to help you out , Al

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 09:07 AM

Welcome to the Forum, Glad to have you join us. I'm not quite sure I have the correct answer to your question. I have a customer who has a 318 and I have leveled the deck for him but I don't remember if the deck stayed in the level position in the raised position or not. I do know that the other tractors I have worked on and leveled stayed level and that includes a JD 320.

My recommendation is to lower the deck and take measurements and see if it is level in the down position. On a JD you take your measurement from the blade height not from the Deck. Put the tractor on level ground. Set the deck about 2" from the floor. make sure the blades are disengaged and turn the right blade so it is fore and aft take a measurement of both ends. I don't remember the exact spec's for a JD but I would think 1/4" difference would be good. If not adjust the front and get it as close as you can. Then turn the blade side ways and take a measurement from the right and left blade and adjust as needed.

Someone with a more experience with the JD's will probably be along to give you better advice. Looking forward to the project Pic's I think this it great you being able to share this with your son.

#6 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 09:22 AM

The link below is from here, check post #2

Edited by John@Reliable, August 30, 2012 - 09:23 AM.