Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hello,

There is a Case 446 that will be for sale at a local auction this weekend and I was wondering if the Case experts could give me some information on the 446 and Case garden tractors in general. I have never had a Case before and would like to know more about them before I might buy one.

First, how do you guys like the hydraulic drive system on the tractors?

Second, what steering system do 446's have (Hydraulic or Manual?)?

Third, are there any trouble areas to look for on these tractors?

Fourth, are the 16hp Onan motors good motors?

Any other information on 446's and Case tractors in general would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Taylor

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 09:08 PM

I have heard good things about the hydriv, my 195 is still not running so I couldn't give any personal experiance.

I believe they have a manual, open steering system.

I have never had an onan. I hear they are good engines but are expensive to work on and, or fix
  • Wheel Horse Kid said thank you

#3 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 10:21 PM

LOL...
You asked...

The Hydraulic system is phonomenal, no joke...I have Speedex, Gravely, Case, and Ford...my choice Case! Don't get me wrong the others are great pieces. But overall the implements are solid and second to NONE in quality, they are available so you're not gonna end up on the short end of the stick when you want to work it.

The 446 only came with Manual steering, although Ingersoll did make a 4116 which had PS. You will be more than satisfied with the Steering.

Really no 'problem areas' just keep up on routine maintenance and you will be a happy camper...

The Onan...smooth and easy to start, very powerful, the ony caveat at all is PLEASE don't run it out of oil. I know all engines don't fare well with no oil but, I have seen a few that broke rods simply because the people never thought to check the oil...

Good Luck and you'll love it...

#4 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,322 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 10:39 PM

The 446 were built heavy duty and made to last. If taken care of, they will give many years of reliable service. They are purely a hydraulic ran machine. It is a good reliable drive system.
The Onan motors are fine motors, and will last a long time if taken good care of. Parts can still be found for them, there is a strong after-market supply of parts, and parts are always found on that online auction place
Manual steering. Some of the later Ingersol tractors had power steering.

Is it a running tractor? if it is, when it is cold, take out a spark plug and check for compression (both sides). The original onan 16 hp could break a connecting rod when ran with low oil level under a load. I have owned a '83 446 and currently own a '80 446. Both great tractors. I forgot about the compression test with the first one, discovered the broke connecting rod after I bought it,and paid for a motor rebuild. Not as expensive as most people think.
I still own the second one. It is a great tractor. Unfortunately, it is for sale because I need a pick up truck more than I need a good Case garden tractor....But I won't give it away, it is too good of a tractor.
This is just my opinion of them.. Yes, I like Case tractors. They make a fine tiller for the 446 too.
Good luck at your auction.. Hope ya gets it.

Edited by JBBR, August 29, 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#5 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 06:45 AM

Taylor, I see you have some good response to your question--Is it a pre-'71 ( i.e. Sunset tan hood, fenders etc.) I've never heard anything negative about these GTs and yes they are super- simple and the 446 was made for many years,

The Onan drives a hyd.pump-period, no springs, no pulleys , no clutch, no mechanical drive links, likely the most simple and most straight forward system I'm aware of-and simple means low or no maintenence. Bring it home
:thumbs:

#6 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for all the great replies! And toolpartzman, it is an orange one.They sound like a really good tractor. My dad is going to go see if he can get somebody to start it today at the auction place and maybe he can do a compression for me too. I will also have him check the oil level too. If all these thing check out good, I think that I am going to try to get it. There is also a case tiller and 2 case snowblowers there (selling by themselves) and I might try to buy the tiller and a blower for it as well.

As far as a price for the tractor and mower deck, if it runs good and I know it looks nice, I was thinking of trying to get it for $500-$700. Is this about what it is worth? Also, what is the snowblower and tiller worth?

Thanks,
Taylor

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for all the great replies! And toolpartzman, it is an orange one.They sound like a really good tractor. My dad is going to go see if he can get somebody to start it today at the auction place and maybe he can do a compression for me too. I will also have him check the oil level too. If all these thing check out good, I think that I am going to try to get it. There is also a case tiller and 2 case snowblowers there (selling by themselves) and I might try to buy the tiller and a blower for it as well.

As far as a price for the tractor and mower deck, if it runs good and I know it looks nice, I was thinking of trying to get it for $500-$700. Is this about what it is worth? Also, what is the snowblower and tiller worth?
Thanks,Taylor

I have two Case's 224 & 446 hands down the best tractors made. As far as Onans costly to fix? How many motors can go 2500-3000 hours between rebuilds? not many, these are heavy duty machines well worth the money. The price of 500 to 700 is in the ball park, a sno-caster is 200-350 and a tiller 250-400. On the sno-caster you want the 46" one but a 38" will work with wings added, and you also need a rear Pto valve for the tiller, about 200 bucks.

#8 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 10:06 AM

I'd give 500 to 700 for a good condition 446 in my area all day. junk one's with no engines are $400 around here...

#9 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 01:34 AM

So did you get one? There were deals to be had at that auction. wow! Wish I could have been there.

#10 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 01:50 AM

Great GT's!
As far as problem areas the only things that always come to mind is the front axle pivot and coasting down hills with no holding valve installed. The other problem could be the linkage improperly adjusted and in poor condition for the Retard feature to work properly.

Case is all I have ever owned.
The Onan is a premium engine and will perform as such when properly serviced and/or rebuilt. Tons of power!
The drive sytem and rear ends are more than solid. The rear end assembly alone on a 446 weighs 135 lbs with 3 qts of oil in it.

If I was to change something I would perfer a faster ground speed in low range. In my (dedicated to mowing grass only) 446 I put a hydraulic drive motor from a 200 series in it and now it has the ground speed I was looking for, but I sacrificed some lowend torque and usability in the process. That's why I use it only for mowing and light duty work.