caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 01:55 PM

I am brand new to this site, but a friend said that it was a good place to find info and generally good conversation. I bought a 1970 JD 112 about a year ago, originally for the rear Ag tires/wheels, wheel weights, and tire chains. I paid $100.00 for it and thought it a pretty good deal. I'm NOT a John Deere guy at heart (see the user name) but my youngest son who's 5 seems to have an affinity for this particular shade of green. I've decided that if it gets him interested in the hobby, it is worth pursuing regardless of the color of the machine. I guess I can make room for the little green one next to all the big orange ones.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 02:00 PM

caseguy:welcometogttalk:glad to have you here.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 02:20 PM

Thank You, It's good to be here.

#4 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 02:23 PM

:welcome: to the forum caseguy. If your son takes an interest in the John
Deere that could be the start of a good project for the two of you. I'd say that would be great for not only father-son time but learning mechanics at the same time.
Also I have it on good authority that different brands of tractors can get along and share the same garage! Good luck on your future project!

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 02:45 PM

Welcome, caseguy! Don't worry about mixing colors. It's okay to do that... otherwise there would be one heck of a commotion going on in my garage!

#6 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 03:29 PM

I am brand new to this site, but a friend said that it was a good place to find info and generally good conversation. I bought a 1970 JD 112 about a year ago, originally for the rear Ag tires/wheels, wheel weights, and tire chains. I paid $100.00 for it and thought it a pretty good deal. I'm NOT a John Deere guy at heart (see the user name) but my youngest son who's 5 seems to have an affinity for this particular shade of green. I've decided that if it gets him interested in the hobby, it is worth pursuing regardless of the color of the machine. I guess I can make room for the little green one next to all the big orange ones.

Oh my oh my.......... That must almost break your Power Red heart. Have you done DNA tests to make sure that he's really your son? :bigrofl:

When you come back from the dark side and post in the Colt, Case and Ingersoll forum I'll welcome you to the fold. I just want you to know that we are there to support you in your time of need. Be gentle with the youngster. He's in his learning stage. My advice is simple. Purchase another Case tractor and show him just how much easier it is to perform a restoration on one of them compared to that Deere he has. In time, he will eventually come to his senses. :D:D:D:D

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 04:43 PM

Thanks Hydriv! He's actually my adoptive son, but the good Lord knew what He was doin' 'cause we couldn't be anymore alike if we did share DNA! I fully intend to introduce a case into his life at some point, but the opportunity presented itself with this one, so...I'm gonna strike while the iron is hot and his interest is up. Thanks alot for the laugh though. I had tears in my eyes over that one.

#8 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 05:15 PM

welcome to the brotherhood Caseguy!! glad to have you with us. don't worry about different brands, i have all different brands and they all get along pretty good.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 08:19 PM

Welcome Caseguy :welcometogttalk:

Its great to hear your son is taking a liking to this obsession....oops I meant Hobby LOL :D

#10 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 08:50 PM

Welcome!!! A little touch of green will be OK Nothin runs like a deere some are better LOL

#11 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• Member No: 852
  • 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted August 03, 2010 - 08:15 PM

Hi Case guy, welcome from the great state of kentucky. I understand your problem. I collect cub cadets ,but use a John Deere gt275 to mow with. The yellow ones don't mind,so I am going to get a decal that says "IT AINT EASY BEING GREEN" for it. You really have a keeper! wouldn't touch it other than maybe a little detailing. wawcub47

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 04, 2010 - 07:15 PM

Well, the cylinder bore has been "cleaned up" 3 different times according to the previous owner and is smoking badly again. I have a friend who owns a small tool and die shop and I plan on asking him if he'd sleeve the engine for me so we can start fresh and keep everything "original". The hood is also smashed in the front. I have another friend who used to run the fiberglass dept. at Jones Performance who said he'd be happy to help with that little repair. It also needs the little plastic piece above the grille and there's a small dent on the rear. Those few repairs and some paint...Man it's nice to have great and talented friends! My youngest is excited to begin the project too...He's the reason for the restoration anyway. Thanks for the compliment! and I'm sure Kermit wont mind the quote.

#13 swiftwind2004 OFFLINE  

swiftwind2004

• Member No: 1421
  • 5 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 10:17 AM

even though i mostly own green at the moment. there is no discrimination in color here. My 6yr old and I (along with "help" from my 3yr old) are working on his JD 70. he loves working on it. The reasoning behind the 70 was 1) it was in my price range (free) and 2) the tractor is his size.

#14 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 15, 2011 - 08:53 PM

CaseGuy->Maybe we should switch sons. I am an avid JD fan, always have been and I thought my son was too. That is until he saw a Case 446 up close. Every since then all he talks about are Cases...ug. Like you say though whatever it takes to get into the realm. Color is not that important to me, I like em all!