Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

I'm Stumped....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bnz 41 OFFLINE  

bnz 41
  • Member No: 10852
  • 8 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 03:10 PM

I would be grateful for any help with a problem I'm having with my 110 (K181s). It will only run at idle with the choke off and it starts very hard. If I open the throttle at all it will die. It feels like it's really rich. The plug is all wet so it seems to be getting plenty of fuel. I took the carb off and apart and cleaned it. I didn't have the carb dip solution so I used diesel and then gas with seafoam to soak it. I also used spray cleaner and compressed air. I started with the factory recommended carb settings of 2 turns main, 1-1/4 idle for the K181s, but have tried leaner and richer as well. I also played with the points trying gaps from .016 to .026 to try to rule out a timing problem. It seems to have good compression but since it has the comp. release I haven't tested it. In addition, since I bought it with no spark, I replaced the plug, points, condenser, and stator coil. It seems to have decent spark now.

I'm all out of ideas. I guess it could be a head gasket or bad valves/clearance or low compression, but does anyone have any suggestions of what to try next. I'm getting a little frustrated with it at this point.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Jeff

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,089 Thanks
  • 5,117 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 03:16 PM

I would say it is a carb problem. Some of the other carb gurus will be able to tell you if that is the problem.

#3 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 492 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 03:59 PM

Jeff, determine that it is the carb...shoot some starter fluid in the carb while cranking...if it fires, then you have a carb problem. You will need to remove the carb, disassemble it completely then soak all metal components (Make sure to pull the needle out, and the Jet) in carb cleaner -although you can soak the jet, the needle itself should probably not be soaked) and carb body in carb cleaner, when removed you will need to run a small diameter wire through all the passages, and follow up with some carb cleaner through the passages then use some compressed air. You may also want to remove the old fuel line and fuel supply elbow the one that screws into the carb, clean every passage thoroughly and put on new lines and filter. Take your time make sure everything is perfectly clean and tight when putting it back together. I am pretty sure this will resolve your issue...GL

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

The Impossible Task!!!!!!

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 5,130 Thanks
  • 6,153 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 05:20 PM

Sounds to me like your float is either bad or sticking and not shutting the fuel off. Put the float in some mineral spirits and let it sit over night. if it is still floating in the AM and not fluid sound when you shake it then check and make sure the float needle setting is correct.

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 13,361 Thanks
  • 20,588 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 06:17 PM

I agree with Bill, really sounds like it's flooding out... Seen a lot of bad floats.
Do you have the air cleaner on it yet? Also, does the idle needle make any difference to the sound of the engine? All the way in or all the way out & in your palm?

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Magic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 3,223 Thanks
  • 1,844 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 07:40 PM

After you clean the carb, and reinstall it to the motor, turn your idle needle screw all the way in (thumb tight), and the air adjustment screw in the whole way (also thumb tight). Crank the motor over a couple times without the spark plug in. Then back both screws out only a full turn each, replace spark plug, and try cranking it over. If the motor doesn't fire, back the idle screw off another 1/4 turn. The motor should now be firing. On an idle, adjust the idle screw until the motor purrs nice. When the idle is set, jack the throttle lever up to full speed and listen to the motor. At full RPM's, the motor might sound a little rough, so adjust the air adjustment screw out about 1/8 of a turn. If the motor sounds good at high RPM's, lower the throttle down to an idle again, to see how it runs. Motor should be idling good. If it's not, and your problems still exist, call me with a price, and I'll take both the motor and the tractor off your hands!

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 1,229 Thanks
  • 2,229 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 08:58 PM

I am not much help without being there in person. These suggestions are great. My own personal process mirrors the previous post by JDelfman. Is it time for me to make a roadtrip headed west?

#8 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 957 Thanks
  • 887 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 10:08 PM

have you checked the throttle shaft for play?
what I do is remove the throttle shaft and put in 2 bronze washers have a little gasket sealer and put them in the hole for the throttle shaft using a 1/4" bolt to put them in. them with new screws with lock washers with blue lock-tite for the throttle plate.
stop the vaccum leak around the throttle shaft. or you can the bronze bushing that a-1 Miller sells to do the some job.
My way cost me around two dollars and my time
I get the part from ACE hardware

#9 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

Always Tinkering on something

• Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 247 Thanks
  • 1,056 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 07:12 AM

All the above advice is good.It sure sounds like its a carb problem.You do need to take the carb apart and soak it over night in a good carb cleaning solution.There are passages that you can't get to or see.Some of the passages are behind the little tiny looking frost plugs.{theres a name for them, just can't think of what it is} if any of those plugs are missing or loose it will give you running problems.Once the carb is cleaned and adjusted properly it should run.Larry

Remebered the name of the plugs.{.Welch Plugs} funny how things come to mind without warning.

Edited by massey driver, September 01, 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

The Impossible Task!!!!!!

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 5,130 Thanks
  • 6,153 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 08:54 AM

The last couple of Carb's I have done, I soak them over night in Mineral sprit's then soda blast them. Then wash them out and blow air through them to clear the water. All of them have come out looking and acting like new Carb's. I have one soaking now and will probably blast it tomorrow.

#11 bnz 41 OFFLINE  

bnz 41
  • Member No: 10852
  • 8 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for the ideas so far. I'll pull it back apart and buy some carb cleaner or mineral spirits and soak it again. I'll also check the float next. As far as checking the float level, do I just make sure that it is level when turned upside down? Is there any other adjustment to keep it from flooding? The Kohler manual is less than clear on this.

Thanks,
Jeff

#12 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 91 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the ideas so far. I'll pull it back apart and buy some carb cleaner or mineral spirits and soak it again. I'll also check the float next. As far as checking the float level, do I just make sure that it is level when turned upside down? Is there any other adjustment to keep it from flooding? The Kohler manual is less than clear on this.

Thanks,
Jeff

Yes. level will do the trick.