Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 08:51 PM

I had a bad experience with them when I was in the National Guard. They get real mad when you set your pup tent up over their nest. OUCH!

Edited by Michiganmobileman, August 28, 2012 - 08:52 PM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#17 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 12:55 PM

We have problems with them making nests in our trucks--they love stake pockets and gas fill doors... I've found that WD40 will knock them down if you don't have regular wasp spray.

It's best to spray them in the evening or early morning--they're generally all in the nest then...

For those in the ground, you might try pouring a little MMO in your gas tank, then hook a hose from the exhaust to the one in the ground--let it run a little to full the hole, then plug both ends with a shovel full of dirt, etc....

FWIW
  • caseguy said thank you

#18 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 02:42 PM

Have a sad story about ground bees. Had an outside dog (that's unheard of anymore around here) and he swelled up all over one day. Took him to the vet who said without any tests that it was advanced liver disease and had him put down. Couple of days later went to move his dog house into the barn to store it and got bit 14 times. Had no bad reaction, but felt terrible about the dog. By the time I'd got bit, the house was on a wagon and away from the ground bee nest. So from there, I just hit it with hornet spray and gas over a few days. So I'm saying the same thing as everyone else, just keep dosing them and they will move out or die. Just don't expect it to happen all at once.

#19 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 03:26 PM

i filled in the opening of the whole last night hoping that stops or at least slow them down

#20 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 07:48 PM

while my atempt last night falled about 20 came back that survived so i drove a pipe into the nest so they could enter the filled the tube with "weed killer" and let it soak in the lit it up after the fire went the neighbor and i dug it up pulled the root the comb was attached to out then put the dirt back in now more bees. hahahahaha thats what they get for stinging me.

#21 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 08:36 PM

When I was a young boy, my cousin and I were playing near a tree and he ended up standing next to a ground nest. He apparently angered the bees and when they exited the nest at attack speed, it was straight up his pant leg! He was stung 34 times before they could get the pants off of him. He was rushed to the hospital and treated for the stings. We were probably about 7 or 8 years old at the time and I hadn't shown any signs of it yet, but as it turned out, I am allergic to bees and that episode would likely have killed me! I was standing just a few feet away when it happened. Needless to say, I don't mess with the little winged stinger bearing buggers with anything that I'm not sure will stop them from stinging me.

#22 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 08:50 PM

i was attacked bad when i was roughly 10 i was mowing my grandparents lawn and came across a nest under ground at was coverd with stings lucky for me im not allergic but id rather not get stung at all

#23 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 09:26 PM

When I worked construction, we would occasionally find a ground bee nest. Of course it would be in the area we were working. I CANNOT recommend, but we would take a simple garden sprayer, fill it with gas, and as they tried to leave the nest, spray away. NO flames or smoking!!! Can you say flame thrower? Gas will knock them right out of the air. Another thing that will drop them in their tracks is carb cleaner, expensive, but seems to work better than gas.

#24 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 09:17 PM

the neighbor said that the darn bees are still hanging around were the nest was. anything else we shold do? maybe leave them an eviction notice?

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 09:39 PM

the neighbor said that the darn bees are still hanging around were the nest was. anything else we should do? maybe leave them an eviction notice?

I've heard Vicks or Ben gay will get them to leave faster.

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Or you could put one of these up...