16 replies to this topic

#16 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 12:28 PM

As far a quality of cut nothing beats a reel mower that is properly maintained and adjusted since the cut is like using a pair of scissors instead of a machete.

As pointed out by several others the two problems with a reel type mower is it takes a lot of maintenance to keep it cutting properly and the area needs to be mowed more frequently since the front roller and bedknife tend to lay the grass down if it gets too long leaving a lot of uncut grass.

If you want a manicured lawn, have a grass variety that works well with an under 1" height of cut and have the necessary tools and skill to keep the mower properly maintained and adjusted then the reel mower is a great machine.

After 20+ years working on golf courses no grassed area looks as good as a properly maintained green, tee or fairway. Too bad I no longer have the funds to play golf since I retired though.

Bill, with your experience with reels is cutting St. Augustine a big deal? I have a small area of it in sod that a push reel would work well, but I saw an ad from Brill saying theirs was not recommended for St.A., Bermuda and something else. Too Tuff or ? Whats your opinion?.

Edited by Toolpartzman, September 07, 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#17 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 03:00 PM

It is a National.
  • Cvans said thank you