• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TGaffney OFFLINE  

TGaffney
  • Member No: 10752
  • 40 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 02:46 PM

Does anyone have a picture or a diaram of where the timing marks on a 1959 vintage k161?

I've removed the starter/generator, flywheel shroud, flywheel, and a few other parts and I can't locate them?

I'm trying to set my points so that they are matched to the timing as the k161 I have recently aquired (from my deceased father) is not firing.

I have spark and the fuel/air mixture seems to be good.

Thanks - Tom

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 05:16 PM

Sorry I do not have the answer you are looking for, but I wanted to welcome you to the GTT forum.
Someone will come along shortly and help you out.

#3 WH1056 OFFLINE  

WH1056

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4545
  • 64 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 05:47 PM

:welcome:

The "S" and the "T" marks are located on the back edge of the flywheel:
Posted Image

The marks are to be viewed through the hole located in the bearing plate - opposite carb side (obviously you must remove the snap-in plug):
Posted Image
  • Bolens 1000 and Gupta have said thanks

#4 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 06:46 PM

welcome to gt great bunch of guys very helpful . in Christ

Edited by goodnews, August 28, 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#5 Gupta OFFLINE  

Gupta
  • Member No: 10754
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 08:20 PM

Thank you for the pictures WH1056 (Terry?) and thanks for the greetings and well wishings in general!

I located the hole and with a bit of sanding found the timing marks. My marks are on the back side of the fly wheel.

I am getting a spark (have seen it fire on a spark tester and when grounding plug against cylinder head) but possibly it is to weak? I can see atomized fuel back puffing out carb and also out muffler and plug gets wet.

Another question I have is related to my timing light. The engine has a starter/generator and I have cranked the engine with the timing light connected and not gotten any visual light pulse. Does anyone else know if this also indicates weak spark?

I ordered a new magneto kit which includes points, condensor, and plug. I'll try those out Sunday or Monday.

I tested the resistance to my high tension lead (I think that is what it is called - it goes from the magneto to the spark plug) and the reading I got was around 3 million ohm. I believe this reading is supposed to be 5 - 10 thousand ohm. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help and input! My wife will be happy if I can get this running as I won't be staying up late every night tinkering.

Tom

#6 Gupta OFFLINE  

Gupta
  • Member No: 10754
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 09:03 PM

I've been able to get the K161 running and have also been able to drive it around a bit.

I have a couple of follow up points/timing question as the engine bogs down or cuts out under full throttle.

1) My flywheel has marks for SP and DC. Should I shoot for aligning the SP marks with the timing mark when using a timing light? Currently the SP mark is above the timing mark on the flywheel cover

2) If the SP mark is above the timing mark when on the timing light, does this indicate the spark is advanced and therefore I need to close my points gap a tad?

Thanks - Tom