• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JoeMower OFFLINE  

JoeMower
  • Member No: 11195
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 12:30 PM

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor- model 917.272244 I purchased in 2001. It has always run well, but in recent years it's been burning oil, more and more lately. It used to be that only when I started it- I'd see some some blue smoke for a few seconds, then it would clear. Now it's blue smoke all the time, or-- at least most of the time. Yet, it still starts and runs. It doesn't make any odd noises so I don't think it's misfiring. In the past the oil level didn't go down much but lately it's going down fast- so, despite being a mechanical idiot (seriously)- I'm presuming it's burning oil due to the seals on the cylinders? If so, does this mean it's near the end of its life or is it possible to get an "engine job" at a reasonable price? yes, I know, I need to talk to local shops that sell and repair GTs. But, before i do that, as always, I like to get somewhat familiar with problems online before talking to a shop person.

Oh, I've always done the maintenance by the book- other than draining the gas and oil at the end of the season due to my laziness.

I'm hoping that there might be some other cause for the blue smoke but I won't hold my breath- unless I'm on the mower (ha).

Any comments will be appreciated.
Joe

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 12:51 PM

One other thing besides rings may be gas in your oil. Does it clear up any after an oil change? My mower was smoking real bad, found the needle wasn't shutting off the fuel, filling crankcase with gas. I put an inline shut off, and changed oil to the synthetic 30W. runs smooth now.

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 01:29 PM

It could be rings or a valve seal. A cylinder leak down test should determine which problem it is.

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 03:48 PM

Also you may want to check your air filter(s). I have seen several small engine powered equipment items that had dirty air filters causing the engine to suck oil through the vent tube and into the carburetor causing a lot of smoke.

Edited by GTTinkerer, August 28, 2012 - 03:52 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 03:33 AM

If its one of the Briggs with the aluminum engine, I would say the cyl in probably worn. I have a Snapper RER that smokes bad when I start it. It has been using oil for several years, I just check it.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 05:56 AM

Might be worth a shot trying a little Sea-Foam in the motor oil just it case the rings were gumed up . Anyone know if horiz. engines are more prone to ring problems the vert. ? Al

#7 JoeMower OFFLINE  

JoeMower
  • Member No: 11195
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 06:28 AM

thanks for the comments, guys- I think I'll have to bring it to a GT mechanic- my mechanical skills are too minimal to go further on my own. The fact that it does start OK and does run- then hopefully it can be fixed without too great a cost. BTW, it has the Kholer (sp?) engine.
Joe

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,327 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 09:42 AM

Sounds like another one with a Blown head gasket and or valve seals and or rings.How many hours do you have on her?

If it's a Head gasket it will get worse and worse pretty fast.It will start off smoking noticeably when you throttle up and will proceed to get worse as the compression from that cylinder will make the hole in the gasket bigger and bigger.

Worn Rings will take alot more time for the smoke to get worse.And cracked or worn Valve seals will make it smoke noticeably but by the oil consumption your saying about I'm betting on a Blown head gasket.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 04:14 PM

One thing I would check is gas in the oil! These newer machines leave a lot to be desired in the carb dept.!

#10 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 04:28 PM

Just tell the neighbors it's a multipurpose tractor, grass cutter and mosquito control :smilewink:

P.S. As said a leak down test will point you in the right direction, if other things suggested check out.