UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 06:42 PM

The guys who have been working for me are both mid 20s know it all's. They work hard but they were getting a bit cocky on me and I was having a hard time keeping them in check today. I was having the tell them the same thing several time to get it done. Telling them over and over to get off their phones every time I turned my back. Then they were trying to load a machine in a building and they couldn't do it. I pushed them both out of the way and grabbed it, stood up and shoved it inside. No more problems the rest of the day.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 07:59 PM

Sometimes you have to put the whippersnappers in their place LOL. I think that they forget that we were here doing what they're doing before they got here to save us from ourselves.

#3 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 08:06 PM

You are right. They seem to think that anyone over 40 is obsolete. They aren't all that bad, butI am glad they aren't my kids. All they talked about all day was women, drugs, and alcohol.

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 08:08 PM

I bet that was a good feeling.

With my employees, the rule I enforce, is NO phones/texting while I'm paying you. They can use the business phone lines "if"
need be. This whole phone/texting society we have nowadays, is outta control. They can wait till after work to find out
that their girlfriend bought a new outfit.

#5 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 08:13 PM

I bet that was a good feeling.

With my employees, the rule I enforce, is NO phones/texting while I'm paying you. They can use the business phone lines "if"
need be. This whole phone/texting society we have nowadays, is outta control. They can wait till after work to find out

If this was a full time job the phones would be left in the truck. Since I am paying them a little bit of nothing ( neither of them can find a regular job) I have to be a wee bit flexible unless I want to be lifting everything myself. This is a personal job getting the field in shape for a playground area for my son. I cant wait to get more stuff moved to get it all cleaned up.

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 08:19 PM

This whole phone/texting society we have nowadays, is outta control. They can wait till after work to find out

I agree Will. I'm sure you have had occasion to be in a face to face conversation with someone and then their cell phone texts or rings and they look at it or answer it. Completely rude and not important.

I don't answer my phone or look at texts when talking with someone. The only thing I may do is say excuse me while I mute this ringer. That makes the person feel you are polite to them and still focused on what they are saying.

On the other subject, I'm glad you were able to show the two young men you still have it.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 08:22 PM

I hope you save your back, and get the job done, without getting too frustrated.

#8 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 08:26 PM

I am part of that phone/texting gen but I have no idea how to text and I am only good with ground wire phones.
I think there to wired now a days.

#9 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 08:26 PM

The fact that I am saving my back is the only way I was able to pick it up. I knew I could lift it because I have done it before. I ran them ragged today though. The past two days they have worked I have been busy doing other stuff. They learned today what work really was because I was with them every step of the way. I almost felt sorry for them.

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 08:30 PM

I agree Will. I'm sure you have had occasion to be in a face to face conversation with someone and then their cell phone texts or rings and they look at it or answer it. Completely rude and not important.

I don't answer my phone or look at texts when talking with someone. The only thing I may do is say excuse me while I mute this ringer. That makes the person feel you are polite to them and still focused on what they are saying.

On the other subject, I'm glad you were able to show the two young men you still have it.

I'm so fed up with it, I just walk away now, when people answer their cell phone, in the middle of our conversation. Absolutely rude.

The staff I have working at the retail counter, are instructed to let the phone ring. We have an answering machine. What makes
a ringing phone more important than a customer standing there with his wallet in hand.
  • daytime dave, caseguy, Canawler and 2 others have said thanks

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'm so fed up with it, I just walk away now, when people answer their cell phone, in the middle of our conversation. Absolutely rude.

The staff I have working at the retail counter, are instructed to let the phone ring. We have an answering machine. What makes
a ringing phone more important than a customer standing there with his wallet in hand.

I was on the customer side of the counter this weekend, needed a new radiator for my wife's car. I was there,as you say "wallet in hand" to buy something couldn't seem to get full time attention from the sales girl behind the counter. Several other guys behind the counter, but when the phone rang, if she didn't pick it up, they would answer it, then ask her whatever question had been posed to them by the caller. The radiator I got didn't match the car, so I went back and was quite happy to return it and go up the street to a rival who had the correct radiator in stock rather than wait for them to figure it out.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#12 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 09:36 PM

What makes a ringing phone more important than a customer standing there with his wallet in hand.

You have NO IDEA how good it is to see someone actually put that in writing. I was beginning to think I was the only one that felt that way.
It positively pi**es me off when I'm standing at a counter ready to spend money and someone makes me wait while they take a call from someone who MAY be a customer. I AM a customer, right in front of you. HELLOOO.

P.S. I'm perfectly fine if they answer the phone but put the caller on hold.
  • caseguy and IamSherwood have said thanks

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 04:58 AM

I am part of that phone/texting gen but I have no idea how to text and I am only good with ground wire phones.

Sounds like you're talking about me,Jerome.I am the same way.

#14 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 05:23 AM

You are right. They seem to think that anyone over 40 is obsolete. They aren't all that bad, butI am glad they aren't my kids. All they talked about all day was women, drugs, and alcohol.

So things really haven't changed much since I was that age then. LOL

When I had guys working for me, they used to drive me nuts. When I look around at the way people work, it still drives me nuts. Don't they get bored standing around doing nothing? Isn't it hard to keep your balance when you move that slow?

I don't blame the technology though...they waste their time on cell phones now, but 20 years ago they'd waste their time some other way, even if it meant just standing there.

I don't think it's the latest generation either. This has always been a problem. I think it's more a matter of training. I was taught to work, I was not taught to stand around. The result is that I'm not very good at standing around. I think what you're seeing is the result of kids told to "watch daddy," instead of "help daddy."

As for the phone/customer thing: I actually took a course on phones in one place I worked. They taught us to answer the phone, put the person on hold, and go back to the customer at the counter. Profuse apologies all around. Now I have a cell for work and the only person with the number is my dispatcher. I ignore it if I'm busy with a person or in tricky traffic, just take the hands-free out of my ear and put it in my pocket, but she asks me why every time. The answer is simple...it would be rude to answer.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#15 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 05:41 AM

Will is spot on !! This cell phone use in the workplace is a serious addiction. I've had 2 -soon to be 3 people helping me lately that are so seriously addicted that when the damn thing rings, their attention is INSTANTLY directly to the phone. They have a choice"

Phone or job, pick one !!
  • IamSherwood and HDWildBill have said thanks