#1 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 09:15 AM

I bought a used tank for my B10 and it had a few holes in it so I soldered them up and filled it with water. No leaks, great so I primed and painted it. Yesterday after filling up the tank I found a leak a steady stream coming out the side of the tank. Water will not go through the hole but gas will. So now I have to fix the tank again. I have never been a big fan of tank sealer but I think I will do this one as I bet there are other holes waiting to show up. So the story is check for leaks with gas not water.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 10:16 AM

Sorry to hear about your leaky tank. I find that if a tank of any kind is corroded through in a few places then it's probably weak in a lot of others. I think the tank sealant that you pour in and let harden my be the way to go. It will seal all the weak spots and you can be confident that it will last and not spring another leak next month.

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 10:21 AM

Dan, is this the tank that I sold you? If so, I'm sorry. I had no idea that there were holes. I held the tank up to see if any sunlight showed through, and didn't see any, so I assumed the tank was good. It even looked good on the outside. I'm sorry buddy. I was hoping to help you, not hurt you.

Edited by johndeereelfman, August 27, 2012 - 10:21 AM.

• DanP said thank you

#4 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 03:31 PM

Johndeereelfman I did not expect it to not leak all old tanks do. Once you clean them out good you find the pin holes. Your tank was 99% better than the one I had. I just didn't find them all and they were pin holes so very hard to find. I was very glad to get your tank and will get it fixed.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,339 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 05:14 PM

Dan,

A good way to test for pinholes is to put a plug in the bottom, put the tank in the fridge overnight. The next day, put the cap on with something to seal it so the vent won't work & submerse it in warm water.
As the water heats up the tank, the air expands and vents out the holes. Doesn't take long and you want to be ready to vent it as soon as you take it out, the pressure can build up more than you'd expect. Just don't leave it in there to long, a weak spot could become a hole from the pressure.
  • johndeereelfman, sacsr, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#6 whst400 OFFLINE  

whst400
  • Member No: 10929
  • 25 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted September 13, 2012 - 08:41 AM

A faster and easier way to check for leaks is to cap the tank tightly and hook a hand vacuum/pressure pump with a guage to the fuel outlet. Pump a few pounds of pressure into the tank and watch the guage. Any drop in pressure will show that it is leaking. Immersing it in water while pressurized will cause the leaking air to form bubbles that will show where the leaks are.
  • johndeereelfman and sacsr have said thanks

#7 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 03:59 PM

To repair that leaking tank and if you aren't sure what to do, what I would do is take it to a radiator shop where they will soft solder it. the best place in town to take a leak.

Dick