Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I'm Inheriting A Family Heirloom...

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 07:36 AM

I'm looking forward to hearing about your restoration and seeing the finial product. I bet it put's a big smile on grandpa's face when it is done. Enjoy your project.

#17 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,607 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 08:16 AM

Great project! My '48 VAO was way worse than that when I inherited it. Even your grille looks straight - that is the hardest part to find on the VA series. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. :thumbs:

#18 El Exorcisto OFFLINE  

El Exorcisto

• Member No: 4241
  • 15 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 02:10 AM

I've got compression back on two cylinders. One of the problem cylinders has a stuck valve, the other I'm guessing has stuck rings. It's been sitting for a few days soaking with Kroil, I'm heading back down to work on it some tomorrow. My dad and I hand cranked it about 5' forward out of the holes that were thirty years deep to find the tires are totally shot but apparently lost their ballast before they sunk into the ground since the rims don't have any obvious damage besides some surface rust. The clutch is stuck but we got the brakes freed up.

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 05:55 AM

I'm looking forward to hearing about your restoration and seeing the finial product.

Yes,me too.It should look some sweet.

#20 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 06:16 PM

Can't wait to see more pics of it and hear it run. :)

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 07:25 PM

Even your grille looks straight - that is the hardest part to find on the VA series.

That & a Hood that isn't rusting thru at the dash corners, Right Steve? ;)

#22 El Exorcisto OFFLINE  

El Exorcisto

• Member No: 4241
  • 15 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 11:01 PM

IT LIVES!!! I left my phone at home so no pics, video, or audio unfortunately. My dad and I got the valves seating right, squirted some gas in the hole in the hose between the air cleaner and carb and she fired right up on the first crank. The clutch is locked up tight so we sprayed some Kroil into the bell housing and set the clutch, hopefully when I go back in a week it'll be freed up.

Edited by El Exorcisto, September 08, 2012 - 11:01 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 11:44 PM

Sweet, so now all that is left to do is full tuneup and wiring harness, new tires, fresh paint, change fluids, and restore it. Good news is after all that you will be set for life.

#24 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 11:49 PM

...the tires are totally shot but apparently lost their ballast before they sunk into the ground since the rims don't have any obvious damage besides some surface rust...

Make sure that you check the inside of the rims thoroughly. Looking around the valve stems is usually a good barometer as to the condition of the rest of the wheel. If there's rust there, look for it elsewhere.

IT LIVES!!! I left my phone at home so no pics, video, or audio unfortunately. My dad and I got the valves seating right, squirted some gas in the hole in the hose between the air cleaner and carb and she fired right up on the first crank. The clutch is locked up tight so we sprayed some Kroil into the bell housing and set the clutch, hopefully when I go back in a week it'll be freed up.

That's great news! Those engines are very tough as long as they don't freeze! Next time remember the camera so we can hear it purr! I'm glad that you got it running. The Kroil should help immensely! I love the stuff myself! Douse it again before you start working the clutch and it should free up. Once it starts moving just work it until it feels free. After it's free, I'd usually spray it thoroughly with brake cleaner to get all of the rust particles washed out of the moving parts, then douse it with the Kroil again after the brake cleaner dries.
I have the remains of two engines that both froze. On had the cylinder sleeve imploded and the other had the block cracked to the outside. The good news is there were enough parts between the two to make one good engine! Now to put it back together...

#25 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 05:50 AM

That's great to hear you got it running without much trouble.

#26 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:55 AM

Great News! And I see the best part is you and your Dad are both working on it! Those are fun times. Are you planning on replacing the tires and then driving it home?

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 07:04 AM

Fantastic! Looking forward to the Vid & pics of it running.

While you have the kroil over there, don't forget the rim bolts. If properly installed, they were tight-tight 40 years ago and have seen some weather since.

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:20 AM

Fantastic! Looking forward to the Vid & pics of it running.

While you have the kroil over there, don't forget the rim bolts. If properly installed, they were tight-tight 40 years ago and have seen some weather since.

Might want to invest in a few extra cans. There are probably lots of uses for it on that tractor.

#29 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 11:34 PM

This was my Grandfathers tractor. It is a Allis Chalmers C. This was his first and only tractor when he switched from horses. The C has been on the family farm for over 62 years. I was only 2 when he passed away. Having his tractor is priceless. I am glad to see your tribute to your Grandfather.

allis 001.JPG

allis 002.JPG
  • caseguy said thank you

#30 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 07:33 AM

That's a real nice looking A.C. your Grandfather had.It is nice that it has been kept in the family.
  • A.C.T. said thank you