Garden Tractor Forums banner

I'm Inheriting A Family Heirloom...

3K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  El Exorcisto 
#1 ·
So back in 1946, Stew Beckley bought a brand new Case VAC. Sometime in the 60s he found a need for a bigger tractor and sold it to Dean Wayman, one of his farm hands. In the mid 70s Dean went to work with my grandfather as his body shop and sold the Case to him to use for his garden.

The year before I was born, 1982, was the last year my grandfather put in a garden. He left it sitting beside his garden and besides changing out the soup can over the exhaust manifold and squirting some oil down the cylinders it has sat, unused, for thirty years.

I didn't know anything about it until I was talking about my DB two-wheeler with my grandfather. So my dad and I went up to give it a crank and found the engine is free. There was a grapevine growing up through the dipstick. One more year and it would have pulled it out, rain would have ran in, and that would have been the end of the old Case.

The tires are shot, every switch and gauge is rotted away, and the insulation is a distant memory on all of the wiring. I'm guessing the switches, wires, and gauges are easy enough to find and replace. The rear tires are loaded and original equipment, and of course completely shot. The front tires will be easy enough to replace with whatever 15" automotive tires I have laying around. Once I have it rolling I'll get to work fabbing up a three point for it and of course getting all that rust covered up with some shiny new orange.

So how do I deal with a set of ancient tires loaded with CaCl? There is a pair of diamond tread tires on craigslist for $325 within driving distance. Would I have any real traction issues dropping a one bottom plow or a 5' disc for my garden? I'll get my hands on a 5' brush hog for it for the lawn mowing duties, too.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nice looking Case you have there. Quite probably, my 3rd Favorite brand of tractor & a very well built machine.

The OHV Engine was a Case exclusive and a serious improvement in respiration over the flat head Continental.

Here is a link to the parts manual for that tractor, wish I had more to offer info wise, but I know a guy on here who's pretty versed in them.

The salt will eventually be the end of the Original rims. It's probably time to start looking for replacements with rubber on it. Even if the rims aren't exactly Case, a lot of guys will weld the old brackets onto the new rims to "Make" them Case.

Good Luck with Grandpa's tractor.

#4 ·
I love those old Case VAC's and will eventually own one someday. If you plan to plow and disk with it I would not mess around with turf tires, as you will never see the needed grip. Now, there was an optional "Eagle hitch" available for the Case VAC and if you have one you essentially have a 3 point hitch. If you have neither and are planning to fab a 3 point I would look at the Eagle hitch manuals as those are the points you will want to attach to for pulling. Finally, I want to wish you fun on your Grandpas tractor, I have a couple family tractors and they are something I treasure, and always will, cause you will never get your hands on them again if they get away.

#6 ·
It is a pre-eagle hitch VAC, so doesn't have any of the pieces for one. The rear end is totally different on the eagle hitch models. I was afraid of that with the turf tires but had to ask since the price is really, really good. I use regular automotive radials on my DB and don't have any wants for traction, but the implements used are a lot smaller. I figure it'll be a slash-in-place affair and let the CaCl drain right there in the woods.

#7 ·
That will make a real nice looking tractor.I really like those old Case tractors.

#8 ·
I am happy your saveing the old case!

#9 ·
Good luck on your restoration. Nice looking base to start with there, and you know the entire history behind the tractor. That is a neat plus.

#10 ·
The VAC is very much worth the work to bring back to life. Once you get it out of that jungle and get the tin off of it you will realize that the wiring is not complicated. If you decide to get rid of the chloride in the tires just spreed it on a friends dirt or gravel driveway. They will love as it will keep the dust down for a long time.
Good luck with your project.

#13 ·
That is awesome EL-Ex! Having "Gramps" tractor is something special for sure. I have my Grandpa's Avery model Minneapolis Moline. Dad & I went through it a few years ago. You will enjoy every step of the restore!

#14 ·
It certainly is something special to have a family heirloom in the garage! I have 3 of the VA series tractors (a VAI, a VA, and a VAC) and they are certainly one of my favorites! The other three (VAO, VAH, and VAC-14) are still on my list for "some day". The "three point" hitch system that was used prior to the Eagle hitch system is a real erector set! It was hydraulically actuated by the smallest cylinder that I've ever seen which moves a rock shaft mounted to the rear of the transmission housing just in front of the torque tube. The rock shaft moves a long, heavy rod that goes to the rear and lifts the implement. I do not have any pictures of the set up and the one on my VAC is currently disassembled (and all over the place) in my garage (and I really hope I can remember how it all goes together). The torque tube doubles as the hydraulic reservoir. The pump and valve body are a one-piece unit that sits behind and is driven by the belt pulley shaft. I am by no means an expert on them, but I will be happy to help when and if I can. I hope that you enjoy the restoration and the finished product. It will be a tangible link to your ancestry that will live on through you.

#19 ·
#18 ·
I've got compression back on two cylinders. One of the problem cylinders has a stuck valve, the other I'm guessing has stuck rings. It's been sitting for a few days soaking with Kroil, I'm heading back down to work on it some tomorrow. My dad and I hand cranked it about 5' forward out of the holes that were thirty years deep to find the tires are totally shot but apparently lost their ballast before they sunk into the ground since the rims don't have any obvious damage besides some surface rust. The clutch is stuck but we got the brakes freed up.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
IT LIVES!!! I left my phone at home so no pics, video, or audio unfortunately. My dad and I got the valves seating right, squirted some gas in the hole in the hose between the air cleaner and carb and she fired right up on the first crank. The clutch is locked up tight so we sprayed some Kroil into the bell housing and set the clutch, hopefully when I go back in a week it'll be freed up.

#24 ·
That's great news! Those engines are very tough as long as they don't freeze! Next time remember the camera so we can hear it purr! I'm glad that you got it running. The Kroil should help immensely! I love the stuff myself! Douse it again before you start working the clutch and it should free up. Once it starts moving just work it until it feels free. After it's free, I'd usually spray it thoroughly with brake cleaner to get all of the rust particles washed out of the moving parts, then douse it with the Kroil again after the brake cleaner dries.
I have the remains of two engines that both froze. On had the cylinder sleeve imploded and the other had the block cracked to the outside. The good news is there were enough parts between the two to make one good engine! Now to put it back together...

#28 ·
Might want to invest in a few extra cans. There are probably lots of uses for it on that tractor.

#29 ·
This was my Grandfathers tractor. It is a Allis Chalmers C. This was his first and only tractor when he switched from horses. The C has been on the family farm for over 62 years. I was only 2 when he passed away. Having his tractor is priceless. I am glad to see your tribute to your Grandfather.

Wheel Plant Tire Tractor Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Tractor

Attachments

Reactions: caseguy
#30 ·
That's a real nice looking A.C. your Grandfather had.It is nice that it has been kept in the family.

Reactions: A.C.T.
#31 ·
My grandfather buys Kroil by the case, and we've already spent a can and a half. I'm hopefully getting down there on Friday. If it isn't freed up by then I'll stop by the farm down the road that my dad and I hunt on and see if she would be willing to tow me out of the woods and down onto flat ground. Hopefully the towing in 4th gear will put enough strain on the clutch to get it free. If it's not free after that I'm guessing there is a split in my future.

My house is about an hour away by car, so I'm figuring I'll throw it on a flatbed when it's all sown up.

There is a VAI with a smoked engine for sale locally for $500. I'm thinking about getting it for the rims/tires, starter, and if I feel so inclined for the wide front end since the property I'll be using it on has a fairly steep pitch for a little ways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.