• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Closha63 OFFLINE  

Closha63

• Member No: 3203
  • 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 09:26 PM

Welp I asked in the build thread and no-one really replied so I will try here. I have a 1614 w/ FEL. Now during the tear down I noticed that if holding the pump with one hand and turning the pully with the other that it has a good amount of resistance. The loader did ork fine with no problems and the previous owner said he never had a problem. So a stupid question I guess is, how much is correct and how much is to much??????

I also am getting to a point of painting the cylinders. How can you sand a cylinder and paint with no problems. Also same deal with control valve.

Also I was thinking, Due to having the FEL, I have wheel weights but we all know that they aren't enough. So with trying to figure out a weight box for the 3 pt. I need to know the safe weight limite for the 3 pt. I am thinking of a 400lb. weight box that is adjustable. Can I go more then that and if so how much?????

Edited by Closha63, August 26, 2012 - 09:33 PM.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 05:58 AM

Can't really answer the pump question , on the cyl's if your not sandblasting them I would thing just taping the crome rod along with the little bit of rubber rod seal would be OK same as the valve just in case . Another thing you might be able to give a slight coat of grease around the seals, spools on the valve and just wipe it off when your done painting , I'm sure others will be along with other tips and tricks lol , good luck , Al

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 11:38 AM

With the cylinder I would just leave all of the chrome part chrome, maybe just a little polish if needed.

I would not go over 400 pounds on the 3pt, that may even be a little much. But, if you can keep everything snug on the arms I don't think you will have problems with it. Also, I suggest filling the tires with calcium, that gets you a lot more weight too.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 06:23 PM

Push the cylinders in all the way, leave levers off or in nuetral and just paint! That's all factory does, assemble and spray. Weight box I made was just a lift platform for 3pt and I put blocks or whaever on it to give weight. Could remove those to use as a hauler platform too then. Generic look with channels for base and angle iron for uprights. Put couple pins low and angles in middle close together for the top link to pin thru. I believe the 3pts for PK are rated about 350 lbs max, and that is probly for a new one. Wear and tear may make it less than that. Try standing a big person whom you know weight of and run him up and down to see how it works. maybe two people? These are only Cat O and maybe there is a load limit for that catagory if you can find a chart??

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 08:25 PM

I think the brouchures call for a maximum of 400 pounds. That's going from memory which is always dangerous. I have a 258 pound rear blade hanging off the back of mine. Most of my counterweight is in filled oversized tires and wheel weights (140 lbs. each). Here's a picture of how mine is weighted down.

I move my trailer with two tractors on it around the yard with my other PK. That is about it's limit but I believe that's only because my belt is getting a bit old and stretched. As long as it's lifting ok, I aint gonna touch it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2199.JPG

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 09:45 AM

I did a little digging in my brochures this morning and found something that may help. While the company does not come out and specify what the three point is capable of lifting, they do offer a picture on the back of the 1982 brochure that says a lot. There is a picture of an Economy with a FEL and they have the weight frame on the three point with 4 wheel weights for a 24" tractor. These things weight around 108 pounds each so you're looking at 432 pounds plus the frame which I would guess weighs somewhere handy to 60 pounds. There's almost 500 pounds on the three point right there in the company's own brochure. I would say it's perfectly capable.