• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 08:48 PM

I posted a wanted ad on craigslist for a loader, I left it very open ended on what I wanted. I only posted for hahas to see what I would get. I got a few emails but this one stuck out at me.

"I have a sears garden tractor with the three point hitch. I have a loader I was going to put on it. $800 for both. If interested give me a call -phone number- I also have a economy power king it would fit .Also and one other garden tractor that is a hydro. Will sell any of the separate."

We went back and forth a few emails and then I called him, the PK turned into a Jim Dandy. He said he had power king parts all over and that he had owned a bunch of them before! I was interested in the Jim and the loader which he could did not know the brand of. He said it was a 34 inch bucket and the arms were 23 inches apart, I hoped he measured wrong and it was bigger...

I went out and looked at it this morning, brought some cash and was hoping to at least take home the loader. From a mile away I could tell it was a Danco loader. I knew it was to small for the '71, which is what I want to make into a fel tractor. I thought it might be big enough for the Jim so I looked at that, one word... BASKET CASE!

The Jim was apart, he said it needed to be converted over to breaker points in order to run. It did not have a spark plug in it, so I asked him for one. I put it in finger tight and spun the flywheel backwards... no compression. Probably a stuck valve but it could be something worse, who knows? I don't! It really was not in bad shape. The spindle bushings and thrust bearings where good, one side wheel bearing was good and the other was terrible. The tires where good and so was the the steering box. The part that scared me away was the engine, the rest was not that bad.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know the kohlers are plentiful and not hard to fix or even rebuild but I didn't want the unknown, he has never had it running and never did anything but take it apart.
Posted Image

I did not look at the loader much, I was not very interested in it. He had it on a John Deere and he had it welded to the frame, then he got rid of the JD and torched off the loader, leaving a mess of welds and steel and holes in it.
Posted Image

After looking at that stuff, I asked about the PK parts, turned out to be about half PK parts, and half of it was stuff that came from any orange tractor that might be for a PK.

The other hydro he had was another variation of an MTD 990, I don't know how this one was branded but it was red.

He wanted 500 for the loader and 900 for the loader and the Jim, I told him I would call back in a day or two. But, I don't think I will. I will wait a week and see if he calls me, if not I will call him and hit him with a low price, sell the loader and see what I can do with the Jim, because it would be a nice tractor all fixed up to pull my Economy trailer at shows if I ever get to finish it.

I had Harry take me out there to look at it, after we got in his truck to leave the first thing he said was that the guy was, well he said a few things that I will not repeat on open forum. But I knew Harry could tell the guy talked everything up because he did not say a thing from the minute he got out of the truck to the minute we got back in. And that is not him at all. It was not a wasted trip, as we stopped and got a few things for a job on the way back.

Edited by Ryan313, August 26, 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 08:52 PM

While walking around I spotted this, he had some crazy story about the Amish in PA about it, and a Bolens but this was after seeing what was not so I did not care to listen much. About the only thing I got from the story was that it needs a hydro belt.

Posted Image

#3 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 09:04 PM

While walking around I spotted this, he had some crazy story about the Amish in PA about it, and a Bolens but this was after seeing what was not so I did not care to listen much. About the only thing I got from the story was that it needs a hydro belt.

Posted Image

I too have heard stories about the Amish putting steel wheels on tractors and the like.

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 09:29 PM

Yup I understand the Mennonites in the Fingerlakes area of NY use those. Driving through, I have seen one or two GT's on steel wheels. Plenty of large modern tractors on steel. Custom wheels all the way.

#5 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 10:12 PM

I've heard about the use of steel wheels on modern tractors as a way to keep them from being used as personal transportation.

I'd love to have the steel wheels. I'd bet they would look great on a vintage GT. It would be a novelty, so I would not pay a lot.

Too bad the trip wasn't a success, but I'd rather go and be disappointed than not go and be really disappointed.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 04:08 AM

There may be more responses to your ad Ryan, so hang in there. If what you really want is a loader than wait a bit and see what else turns up.

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 02:51 PM

That is alright, I am certain I will have a fel sometime soon! Whether I buy one, or build one.

After leaving Harry told me that his partner Ed knows where to get hydraulic stuff cheap. A few weeks ago somebody needed a 1200 dollar pump and he got a brand new one for 300 bucks! Ed worked for H.O. Penn. as a hydraulic mechanic. He went to work everyday in a suit and tie and just told people how to fix things when they didn't know how. They would fly him out west to mines all the time when they had a problem and Ed could always tell you what was wrong. Because he did it for so long, he knows where to buy hydraulic stuff and where to get it dirt cheap.

Ed also builds Harry his excavator buckets and knows what geometry they have to have and where they need gussets and how big they need to be. So, I will have to talk to Ed and see if he can work his magic on the '71 sometime.

#8 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 11:51 AM

dang, sounds like you've got the hook up... and it sounds like I need to talk to Ed too.

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 03:41 PM

Sorry about your trip being a bust, but if you didn't want the goodies, let 'em sit!
As others have said, just have patients, and a loader will come your way...

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 07:56 PM

For some reason, somebody flagged my ad! I don't know why anybody would do that?!

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 10:21 PM

For some reason, somebody flagged my ad! I don't know why anybody would do that?!

Probably the guy that was wanting to sell you that junk.

Anyway, I know you are pretty handy with a welder. Maybe a set of plans from here, and Ed's hydraulic contacts would put you in business.

http://www.pf-engine...g.com/home.html