• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 04:48 PM

I purchased a 2200 psi gas pressure washer this year. I have used it to clean my deck (not too much damage!), clean my Weber gas grill (excellent for that) and rinse the car after washing (good job there too). I have yet to wash a tractor with it. Even when I have washed my tractors in the past I always put a plastic garbage bag over the engine. I would like to use the pressure washer to clean the engines, frames and the rest of the tractor. Any tips that you can offer would be helpful. Thanks!

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 04:56 PM

Plenty of Gunk engine cleaner first and let set awhile. I like that new jelling kind, stays on better. Still might have to brush some areas. I usually have big stuff scraped off first too, doesn't always blow off. Wear rough clothes and expect to get wet! Stuff can splash you back real quick when you hit tight spots and always in your face. Messes up your glasses for sure, or leave them off. No matter how much you clean, always seems to be missed spots once you get into them to dis-assemble or work on them.

#3 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 26, 2012 - 05:16 PM

Plenty of Gunk engine cleaner first and let set awhile. I like that new jelling kind, stays on better. Still might have to brush some areas. I usually have big stuff scraped off first too, doesn't always blow off. Wear rough clothes and expect to get wet! Stuff can splash you back real quick when you hit tight spots and always in your face. Messes up your glasses for sure, or leave them off. No matter how much you clean, always seems to be missed spots once you get into them to dis-assemble or work on them.

Ain't that the truth! :thumbs:

#4 ShelbyGT550 OFFLINE  

ShelbyGT550

• Member No: 8074
  • 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 05:24 PM

I let my engines run when pressurewashing em, That way I know if something is not going right, And if any water gets into the engine its normally hot enough with it running that it does not affect it that much

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 06:32 PM

2200 psi blasted at the engine/gaskets, might be a bit much. The idea of leaving it running, is good, as
far eletrical goes, but you sure don't want to aim that much pressure at, say the valve cover gasket, or points
cover gasket.
I always, use just a good degreaser, and garden hose nozzle. Scraping first, if real thick.

Same applies to any area, where there are seals. Hydraulic cylinders, axle seals, steering box...........

Of course, it's fun to play with a new tool, just don't cause youself any grief. :thumbs:

#6 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:00 PM

On my cheap 120v pressure washer it has an adjustable nozzle for pin point or fan , I use the fan most of the time except where I'm sure I won't damage something like electrical, hoses , seals things like that ,Al

Edited by Alc, August 26, 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#7 John@Reliable ONLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:02 PM

On the motor or real dirty area's I spray full strength with the cheapest (purple stuff from wally world) let it sit for 5 minutes and then blast away, I avoid direct hits around points and exhaust area's the best I can. The rest of the tractor I do the above but use a 50/50 mix of dish washing stuff I steal from wife's kitchen. This has worked for me, the last 40 years. :thumbs:

P.S. the key is to let the detergent sit and do it's job first, I'm not a fan of using the soap injection system that come with many PW

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:12 PM

P.S. the key is to let the detergent sit and do it's job first, I'm not a fan of using the soap injection system that come with many PW

Yes, that's just hocus pocus. Just another gizmo, they can charge you for, and sell PW injector soap. Duh.

#9 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:19 PM

This is what I do and it always works great for me.

Spray down tractor with some "Spraynine" let it soak for about 10 min.
Then spray down your tractor with your pressure washer.
I have a 110volt unit with a 0deg rotating nozzle and I run hot water through the pressure washer.
Works best on a hot sunny day, fast and gets everything off.
011.JPG

#10 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:22 PM

Air hose to begin, blow off all the loose stuff. Then a normal Soap and brush / cloth bath. For the grungy areas Simple Green does the trick. Then to clean the cooling fins, Crank up and direct a strong stream of water in there.

• JDBrian said thank you

#11 ShelbyGT550 ONLINE  

ShelbyGT550

• Member No: 8074
  • 0 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:51 PM

Running hot water on a eletric PW is very hard on it, As it uses the water to cool the pump ;)

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:51 PM

This is all good info. guys. I just got a new electric pressure washer and have been wondering exactly how to use it on the tractors.

#13 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 08:01 PM

Running hot water on a eletric PW is very hard on it, As it uses the water to cool the pump ;)

Very true and I agree, when I use HOT water I use it just long enough to do the job, no more than 5 minutes max.

#14 jpackard56 ONLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 09:12 PM

Seems like all good info. But there is noway anybody should fire up a pressure washer without eye protection!! No matter what soap, de-greaser, hot, or just cold plain water these things can be very dangerous. I maybe a wimp but I use a full face shield every time... I worked with a fella that lost an eye 20 years ago because he was just "gonna spry this one piece" before going home... he was the nicest guy you'd ever meet and it took seconds for him to ruin his eye. I'll never forget that day...please listen to this "old fart" PROTECT YOUR EYES !!