14 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 04:44 PM

I found a h14 or 16 tractor buried in a barn. Its all original, and has a deck, blower, and plow. The guy said it was all in working order when he put it there 8 yrs ago @ 2005. He wants a offer, but he said he's not gonna give it away for dirt cheap??? It appears to be fairly rust free, and clean, but Ive been burned many times buying machines like this. What would the experts here offer on the machine that they cant here run, and attachments that you cant see work? Any advice would be great, he doesn't want to dig it out until we somewhat agreed on a price.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 04:52 PM

That's a tough call.
Its pretty much a shot in the dark buying something that is not running.... Have you actually seen the tractor/ attachments yet in person?

What I have learned is everyone has their own definition of "Its in good shape" so if I were the one looking to buy it I wouldnt even make an offer until he digs it out and you can inspect everything.

#3 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 05:01 PM

I haven't seen it, but he doesn't want to "dig it out" unless im serious and not going to waste his time?? He's kinda being difficult. Im thinking $300 is fair for both sides???

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 05:03 PM

I haven't seen it, but he doesn't want to "dig it out" unless im serious and not going to waste his time?? He's kinda being difficult. Im thinking $300 is fair for both sides???

I'd say with the attachments $200-300 would be a safe bet without seeing anything yet.

#5 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 26, 2012 - 05:07 PM

Until there are "pictures", It's all speculation. :wewantpics: :wewantpics:

#6 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 05:17 PM

I guess your right brian. The attachments would run around that much, but I guess I always look at these machines to restore, not sell, or part out. Im just thinking that hes gonna want around $400 to $500. By the time I drive 120 miles to get it, thats gonna cost me $30 in fuel, then he says 2 tires have slow leaks, hopefully repairable and not shot, then a battery to run the thing, carb clean/rebuild, plug, and fluid change at minimuim I think my machine + repair bill would be @ $500 to $600, then I hope it works. Im feeling $300 or less depending on condition when I see it. I'll start at $300 and move from there I guess. Is that what others would do??

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:47 PM

You really need to see it first. It could be beat or in great shape. Either way after sitting for 8 years there are going to be some issues that need to be dealt with other than the ones he has already told you about.

#8 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 08:05 PM

I'm not a Bolens guy but the first thing I would want to know is why he parked it, other than that I would need to see it like has been said
some peoples idea of good cond is a bit off.Some have in there minds what it used to look like it may be far from that now
  • MailmAn said thank you

#9 goodnews ONLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 02:21 PM

I guess your right brian. The attachments would run around that much, but I guess I always look at these machines to restore, not sell, or part out. Im just thinking that hes gonna want around $400 to $500. By the time I drive 120 miles to get it, thats gonna cost me $30 in fuel, then he says 2 tires have slow leaks, hopefully repairable and not shot, then a battery to run the thing, carb clean/rebuild, plug, and fluid change at minimuim I think my machine + repair bill would be @ $500 to $600, then I hope it works. Im feeling $300 or less depending on condition when I see it. I'll start at $300 and move from there I guess. Is that what others would do??

yes i would say you are right on Q i would have to at least see pics. before made a solid offer sounds like a good find though hope it works out for you. in Christ looking for His return

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 04:24 PM

I would say that if 300 is in your budget, it is a fair place to start. Personally, I would want pictures of how badly it is buried. They could give you a small glimpse of the machine hopefully. To me 120 miles is a lot on a chance unless you really want or need that model and or the attachments.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#11 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Well guys, I think I made the guy mad. I offered the $300. He said I was wasting his time, the stuffs atleast worth $400. I told him I felt safe at $300 because I am the one taking all the risk, because once I pay him, all I can do is hope the machine functions without alot of repairs, and dumping alot of money into it. I even told him his $400 maybe fair, and I would help him pull the stuff out from the barn, but if it had unforseen issues from sitting, would he be flexible with his $400 assesment. He never answered back. I guess he doesn't really want to give the tractor a good home, and he wants to leave it buried in his barn to further decay. Oh well, I have a line on someother items. Hopefully that deal actually works out for me, and I can save a few more bolens from decaying!

#12 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 04:02 AM

I have been down that same road, I tried to buy a DB 2 wheeler last year. She wanted $275 for it. It has been sitting outside in the weeds for years. I offered her $100 for it. That is more than fair. Well she thought I insulted her. I see she recently reposted it, and lowered the price to $225. I offered her $100 for it again. She hasn't bothered to respond. It's still sitting outside in the weeds.

I guess when she doesn't get any other offers for it, she will either sale it to me, or let it turn completely to rust.

#13 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 06:17 AM

I think I would let this one go, as he seems like he's the kind of guy that would rather let it rot than have it go to a good home.
The H14/H16's seem pretty common around here so you shouldn't have much trouble finding another one thats closer to you.

#14 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 28, 2012 - 06:46 AM

Its just a shame, Sometimes people think these things are like gold, if they save it, it will be worth more and more. The reality these days is, to pull a machine out of a barn or the weeds, you gotta toss atleast $100 right on top of the owners asking price, because thats what its gonna cost to get the machine home(travel), battery, plug,carb clean/fuel lines,and fluids changed. Thats what most people do to prep a machine and get it running. I just hate to see these great machines, and parts go to waste laying around and decaying into the earth. I even explained to him that im a collector, not some guy that flips tractors and re-sells them for profit, or parts them out to make money. Almost every machine I bought has stayed with me, except for a few my wife made me part with to buy my new sub compact. Perfect example is the thread in this forum about sonny's. I would love to get my hands on that property, and everything laying on it, and simply make a living(not get rich) selling parts, and tinkering/restoring the tractors and equipment on that land to re-sell and or keep. Infact when I saw the pics in the thread, my wife was sitting next to me on the couch watching the tv, and my face must of went blank or something because she asked me what was wrong, I told her we gotta take a road trip and save everything from destruction. Then she rolled her eyes at me, and I sadly realized that ALOT of great Bolens stuff would probably be placed to its death in a scrap pile. Some people just rather let things go to hell then sell them at a fair value to good homes. Some of my machines may sit around, but if I know I will never do anything to them I try to get them to a new home asap for exactly what money(labor not included) I have in them. Another example, and Brian knows all about this machine. A guy locally had a 1050, sat outside for years so I stopped by and checked it out. The steering was siezed, I'm thinking the engine was almost siezed, the gas tank was so rusted it rotted from the inside out, and the guy took the mower deck and flipped it on its top in the mud(rotted the whole top out). Well this guy decided he wanted $575 for it, because thats what he paid. Brian and I both asked numerous times about the machine, and he wouldn't budge, machine sat out for another 2 yrs, and it disappeared recently to somewhere, probably the scrap yard. Oh well, you get my point, rant over!!
P.S.- someone needs to find away to save the sonny's property!!
  • MailmAn said thank you

#15 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 12:53 PM

yup based on condition i would have to agree but if you mean a brinley style moldboard plow complete in good condition that would to me make it worth it and maybe a few bucks more but not the snowplow to common.