#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 04:22 PM

GT 14 auto. similar to my charger 12 axle. Book shows the push release lever. Can't find such an animal on my GT14. Have tin mostly off and can see around. Appears the auto unit is little diff number than the 12, but looks about same size. The park lock doesn't seem to lock anything on GT. It pushes around easy. Sound like I'm going into case to see if some disconnect or such?? Think I saw manuals for that here in list, maybe should get one? I have manuals coming for GT 14 off epay, will be awhile before they come. The engine I got to crank, but have to give the starter drive a little "assist" to push out to drive position. Stays in while cranking. Not much compression, have sparking. Used start fluid and it puffs, but out both in and ex sides at once. Timing? or just stuck open valves? Puffs out the intake more and had few fires started around it while messing with it. guess I'll pull the head and look at what I have or don't have. Wonder if I will find hole in piston?

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 04:52 PM

I had a GT14, and I believe that the valve was down on the left side. Not up on top. It wasn't real handy to get to.

#3 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 04:54 PM

I just quoted this from your other thread;

I had a '70 GT14. I had a heck of a time finding the travel valve. It was on the left side down in front of the axle.

Lilysdad posted it.

Hope that helps!

Added:
Two minutes too slow! Just like me!

Edited by Rock farmer, August 26, 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 04:58 PM

If I remember right, mine was under the seat and was a real pain to turn. It seems to have had a support bar over it.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 04:59 PM

Used start fluid and it puffs, but out both in and ex sides at once. Timing? or just stuck open valves? Puffs out the intake more and had few fires started around it while messing with it. guess I'll pull the head and look at what I have or don't have. Wonder if I will find hole in piston?

I would pull the head and see if you have some stuck valves.

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 05:08 PM

Remember how you started this hobby to relax and have fun??!!! This should take all the grumpy out of you. :thumbs:

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Remember how you started this hobby to relax and have fun??!!! This should take all the grumpy out of you. :thumbs:

But if that happened he'd have to change his name!

Those Kohlers build up a lot of carbon over time and it could be a piece of it came loose and got stuck under a valve. If you take the cover off the crankcase breather you should be able to watch the valve stems moving. Easier than removing the head.
  • Rock farmer said thank you

#8 refracman OFFLINE  

refracman
  • Member No: 10428
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 09:19 PM

The hydos in these, if they have sat for a long time will freewheel like you've described.
When standing at the back the freewheel valve is suppose to be on the top left of the pump (you should be able to see it when the seat is flipped up) with a 2" long pin in it,there is suppose to be a decal on the bottom of the seat mount stating which way is freewheel, if still has the original sunstrand gear to gear. If it has been changed to sunstrand piston to piston it will be on left front of the pump and be slotted. A easy way to tell one from the other is the gear is cast iron and the piston is cast aluminum.
Ditto on the valves, sounds like there stuck

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Tractor all tore down now to frame/axles/tires. Rolled out and powerwashed it today. Lots nicer to work on. Still don't see a valve. Can I just take one from my other axle and drop it in there or is it not machined or set-up for that?

Pulled head on engine and intake was stuck open. Small tap and it went down, but not really a snap action. Hand cranked it over a few times and it worked right. Seems there is NO compression with the head off.........Heh! Turns over pretty easy, bet the rings are shot. Top of piston and case were all oily carbon. The head bolts were not very tight, so wonder if others have been in it lately. On outside on the fins is big collection of oily gunky stuff plugging up the fins. Wonder if it had a leaky head gasket then? Cleaned them out with power washer. Found a loose drive pulley on it. Was tight screw, but the keyway in pulley is all wallowed out. Guess I'll be looking for one of those then.

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 07:33 AM

Looks like your going to be doing a rebuild. At least the Kohler K is worth the effort.

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Axle off frame now and took some pix. See some ports which might be right places for one, but none there. What you think? Also on locking park lever. The bent end hits on top of frame. Is that normal? Took couple pix to see if that is mounted right? Thought I was getting LOCK, but when I grabbed and turned axle it gave way with funny ratchety sound, both sides. Then realized it makes that noise just turning the axle. Didn't hear any noise before while pushing??

Added a couple more pix here. Use flashlight to get pix, hope they are what you wanted.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tire Changer on truck 005.jpg
  • Tire Changer on truck 007.jpg
  • Tire Changer on truck 008.jpg
  • Tire Changer on truck 009.jpg
  • Tire Changer on truck 010.jpg
  • GT14 trans 001.jpg
  • GT14 trans 002.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, September 06, 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 07:25 AM

http://f1.grp.yahoof...c tow valve.pdf

Those last pictures show two large hex head bolts. According to this info, which was obtained from WheelHorse.Org, the smaller upper bolt of the two may be the tow valve. To use it unscrew the bolt two or three turns. Be nice to it. It is a large needle valve and tightening it too much may cause damage.

#13 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Link doesnt seem to work for me. Can't be found it says. Is this forum on Yahoo? Seems like couple letters missing??
Wonder if that plug is loose now? I'll have to check. Would think it would have a lock nut on it tho if adjustable?

#14 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 10:17 AM

I have two wheel horses of that vintage and the by pass valve does not have a lock nut on either.
The upper smaller bolt on the back side is the by pass on my 1276
My electro twelve uses the top bolt towards the rear. It has a cross shaft to make a tee handle.

Joe

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 12:39 PM

Okay, the link works for me, but I am a member there. You will have to go to WheelHorse.org and click on equipment manuals. Then scroll down to 1_9 or 1_7. You will have to join group #1. It's kind of hard to use their files because there are so many and they're grouped kind of haphazard. You will have to join each group you want to use. This is for a 1969 or 1970 Wheel-A-Matic transmission #5062. I'm not certain it's the same as yours, but give it a shot.

It would be really peachy if you could find an owner's manual for the GT14.