• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• Member No: 2220
  • 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 11:14 PM

So, I got out to my dad's warehouse today where Cranky has been in storage since, oh, last November, I think... Blew up his tires, went to roll him out - URK! No roll-y! DANG IT! Brake was off, shifter in neutral, but no spinning of the wheels! Fortunately, my dad is handy with his forklift, and got Cranky all loaded up...

Posted Image

After a bite to eat, I went to head back home... Before I left, I figured I'd take a peek under Cranky and see if I could see anything wrong... Well, the brake/clutch pedal was pretty loose all the way down to the last few inches of pedal, and the variator lever just barely does anything.... So something was jammed... Worked the brake pedal a bit, then decided to just head'er out and hope I could drag him off the trailer...

Got Cranky home, backed the trailer up to the back gate, let the end gate down on the trailer, undid the straps, got ready to have NO fun dragging a 600 pound tractor off my trailer and...

Posted Image

he just rolled right off as easy as you please! A little bit of pushing and some steering and some rearranging, and now here's my two buddies, out under the sunshade!

Posted Image

Of course, now......

Posted Image

I can put my evil plan into ACTION!

buh-BUH-BUH!!!!!

And so, I popped the hood on Cranky and the first thing I found was.... What the heck?

Posted Image

Cranky's got a Walbro LME carb from a 112 on him! And I noticed, a NOT connected choke linkage... AND, I also noticed,

Posted Image

the air cleaner assembly from a 112 as well! Whoa! I haven't even STARTED and already we've got shades of Frankenstein! So, I pulled the tins off, and went after the head... It came off really nicely, BUT....

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

Back as midnight, all along the cylinder walls and on the head, AND (not surprisingly) no connecting rod...

Well, might as well pull THIS engine out too, since I need some bits from it!

Its got a nice new starter-generator belt,

Posted Image

and I was able to pull off the generator mount for use on Wally, as well as the piece of frame that Wally's PO had butchered when they did their home-repair on his generator mount...

Figured I'd try to remove Cranky's flywheel before pulling the engine, just because... And I discovered a neat trick... I had a heck of a time with Wally's engine, holding the flywheel still while I pounded on the nut... So... took my big 1 1/16 wrench and wedged it like so...

Posted Image

Worked like a darn! Without even breaking any flywheel fins! Which is another good point, I can use this flywheel on Wally's engine, since his has a broken fin! Broke out the puller, and.... BAM!

Posted Image

Then I crawled underneath Cranky to try to drain the oil, and I was in for another pleasant surprise! Guess what I found?!?!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had NO IDEA the helper spring on the round fenders was THIS BIG! Its HUGE! Now, I don't know if its really required on the hydraulic lift, but it would be a nice addition to Ernie, then...

I also noticed that somebody must have redone all the electrical on Cranky as well, because the wiring harness looks nearly new... AND he has his neutral start switch intact! He's just a gold mine for parts! Rims are good, looks like I can scavenge some 3/8" clevis's for another project I might have starting soon...

Just too bad about the rod. I'll have to rip into the underside of his engine and see what I find... I just don't get it... Somebody put in the effort to get Cranky a helper spring, put a new generator belt on and redo all the wiring, but then they strapped the WRONG carb on, and ran it at half-choke all the time? Wouldn't THAT be what caused the thick black soot all over the cylinder and head? Running it rich all the time like that? Which would then have caused overheating, I'd guess, having that much carbon buildup... The post-mortem on his engine should be interesting...
  • daytime dave, Texas Deere and Horse, JDBrian and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 12:17 AM

Sounds like Cranky is living up to his name. I'd be cranky too if I knew I was just a donor!

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 04:46 AM

All in all,it's a good looking tractor.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for posting the pics of your adventure with Cranky. If you have an impact wrench they are very handy for removing those flywheel nuts without taking a chance that you'll break the flywheel fins.

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 06:33 AM

Are you sure you want to part him out??? He'd make an excellent FrankenCranky. Just add a diesel engine.

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:13 AM

Your quite a story teller. Thanks for Sharing and telling an interesting story.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for the Cranky update, this looks like a very interesting build thread to follow.

#8 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 08:42 AM

So This one is your parts machine??? Nice looking little girl you have there, Yup she can be named Cranky..

#9 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 09:20 AM

Sounds like Cranky is living up to his name. I'd be cranky too if I knew I was just a donor!

Well, once I'm done with him, I have a guy who wants him for his fenders and footrests, he wants to do the conversion from a square fender to a round fender... So, you know, one tractor can save SO many others! :)

All in all,it's a good looking tractor.

Ya, it IS a bit sad that I can't save them all! Cranky's NOT in as good of shape as Ernie tho...

I may have forgotten to mention that he came from his PO with a broken connecting rod. He's lived an interesting life, his PO picked him up at the end of a driveway while driving through Oregon, I believe. HE was going to fix Cranky up, but never got around to it... Cranky wound up hanging out in Northern Saskatchewan for several years until I happened to get in touch with his PO and offered to trade him TWO tractors (sight unseen) for Cranky... However HE had thought that Cranky was a hydro 110... He's not, but (if you looked carefully, you noticed) his HOOD says he is... However, by the time I found THAT out, everybody had tractors loaded onto trailers... I won't tell you all what two tractors i traded, 'cause you'll think I got took... But If you haven't noticed, I'm a sucker for the round fenders...

Thanks for posting the pics of your adventure with Cranky. If you have an impact wrench they are very handy for removing those flywheel nuts without taking a chance that you'll break the flywheel fins.

Ya, I just don't have a full set of impact sockets in all sizes... So, since I was able to get Wally's off without firing up my teeny tiny compressor, figured I'd try again with the wrenches and the ball-peen hammer...

Are you sure you want to part him out??? He'd make an excellent FrankenCranky. Just add a diesel engine.

Your quite a story teller. Thanks for Sharing and telling an interesting story.

Thanx!

Thanks for the Cranky update, this looks like a very interesting build thread to follow.

Well, we'll SEE how much building happens to Cranky...

So This one is your parts machine??? Nice looking little girl you have there, Yup she can be named Cranky..

Yup, this is the one! THIS is the one I traded your two on, man.... Go ahead, say it! I can take it! :) I'll let you tell the story if you want!

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 09:29 AM

Now I know more of the Cranky story. It can be a good thing when one tractor is helping another of others be rescued. Best of luck with your adventures. I like your names for them too.

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the pictures and story about Cranky. It was an interesting read.

#12 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 02:02 PM

HUH... Really.. This.. that's it.. huh.. My heart just broke... fer shame..

Yup, this is the one! THIS is the one I traded your two on, man.... Go ahead, say it! I can take it! :) I'll let you tell the story if you want!

#13 littletractorguy OFFLINE  

littletractorguy

• 34 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 02:26 PM

HUH... Really.. This.. that's it.. huh.. My heart just broke... fer shame..

Ya, if Cranky HAD actually been a RF 110 hydro, I'dve been not quite so bummed out.... However, he gets to save two tractors, two he was really interested in...

Well, I'm back off out there to see what else I can do with the two buddies...

#14 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 05:02 PM

We can rebuild him........if not slice him up and use him for parts lol

glad to see things rolling

Edited by mybigwarwagon, August 26, 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 05:17 PM

" He's lived an interesting life, his PO picked him up at the end of a driveway while driving through Oregon, I believe. HE was going to fix Cranky up, but never got around to it... Cranky wound up hanging out in Northern Saskatchewan for several years until I happened to get in touch with his PO and offered to trade him TWO tractors (sight unseen) for Cranky... "

When you get around to writing a book about Cranky, be sure to include this.

>sniff< We're gonna miss yah Cranky!