• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whjoel OFFLINE  

whjoel

• Member No: 7307
  • 7 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 08:58 PM

I have a set of 10 inch cast iron wheel weights that I dont know what I will ever use them for. They weigh 42lbs or so. The other day i found an ad on craigslist that a man was looking for some. So I called him and finally talked to him. We couldnt negotiate a price and I think I frightened him when I said $100 for em he came back at 50 and wouldnt budge off of that. He said he could go to the simplicity dealer and buy new ones for 100. I tried to explain hes not going to get cast iron for that price but it didnt help. Am I out of line here? I figure at the prices 12s are going they got to be within that range.
Joel

#2 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Wheel weights are like everything else, how bad do they want them, and what condition are they in? But no, from prices I've seen I don't feel you are out of line. I see Cub 26lbs ones at $75 to $100 a pair all the time, The thick Bolens ones are same way around here. Some folks say $1 per pound, but that falls away on the Cubs and Bolens prices. Good luck!

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 10:08 PM

$1 / Lb. is a good place to start, but like jpackard said, that depends on the brand and the type. I'm not familiar with the simplicity weights, but I'll bet you a doughnut that they (cast iron weights that is) can't be had from the dealer for anywhere near that price! I've seen the 26 Lb. Cub weights go for $100 a set as well. Wheel Horse weights went crazy last year, but seem have come down to earth a little this year. I believe that you're well within a reasonable price range and if the buyer can't accept that, you'll just have to sell them to someone else.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 10:43 PM

On cast iron wheel weights $1 per pound is the rule I use but a matched pair you can almost guarantee at least $100 to start with. If they are Farmall (cub cadet) wheel weights you can expect to spend $120-175 per pair. At 42 pounds each I think you may have Farmall front wheel weights with 6 mounting holes. Any pics of them?

#5 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 04:54 AM

I knw that it $100.00-125.00 seems to be the "going rate" for the Bolens cast iron weights. They are 50# each

I'd say that you aren't out of line.

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 06:18 AM

That would be a fair price if they where Massey 12 inch weights. You're not out of line.
Paint them, and tell him they're 125 now, if he calls back.

#7 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 06:46 AM

Sounds like you may have weights from the Simplicity #990708 weight kit, or from the Allis #1600240 weight kit. If so, you'll see the raised Simplicity part #, 173337, on the weight where the blue shading is shown in the pic below. I believe that Allis-Chalmers had the weights listed as being 38 lbs. each, in their dealer sales information.

990708wheelweight2.jpg

I gave $76 for a set of these a few years ago, but I would expect I could easily get at least $125 for them on ebay now.

#8 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 07:21 AM

When I parted my old Sears tractor I sold a set of weights for $40. The guy who bought them drove 1 1/2 hrs to pick them up. Now I know why he did. If only I knew at the time. Live and learn .