• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mulefarmer25 OFFLINE  

mulefarmer25

• Member No: 892
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 - 09:06 PM

Hey I am new to the site but I need some help. I have a 127 cub with a k301 that the generator is rebuilt and spins fine with out the belt and the motor is free with no hard spots . But it will not spin over fast enough to start . It actually will stop spininng at all . The battery is brand new . Any thoughts thanks.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 - 09:34 PM

Welcome to the Forum, mulefarmer25 :welcometogttalk:

I'm not too sure what your problem could be. If the starter is rebuilt and the battery is new then it should work OK. mabye the battery does not have enough cranking amps?
Dont really know too much about how the cub cadets are setup so I think I'll leave this for a cub guy to answer.

Edited by Bolens 1000, July 22, 2010 - 09:40 PM.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 - 09:56 PM

Could be one of many things. Bad connections on cables, faulty solenoid, battery of too low an amperage (I recommend no lower than 350cca, preferably 550cca), or a bad rebuild job.

#4 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted July 23, 2010 - 06:28 PM

Welcome to GTtalk mulefarmer25.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted July 23, 2010 - 06:39 PM

Have you tried jumper cables from your car/truck direct to the starter/gen to eliminate anything past the starter itself? If it still has no power with good heavy jumper cables direct, then it's surely the starter itself. And you are positive that the engine has no hard spot, such as if the auto compression release isn't working?

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 23, 2010 - 06:50 PM

mulefarmer25 :welcometogttalk:
Like Daniel said,make sure you are getting power to the starter.

#7 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 09:04 AM

As has been said, try jumping it off of a car battery and see what happens. The Kohler engines have an automatice compression release built into the camshaft. If the spring on that assembly is broken or the arm that holds the valve open a bit is broken the compression release will not work and it can stop the engine from turning with the starter. Another thing to check, is does the starter actually stop spinning or is the belt slipping?

#8 mulefarmer25 OFFLINE  

mulefarmer25

• Member No: 892
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone . I have hooked cables the battery and the extra juice helps it spin over but itt will still stop and it is stoping not just the belt slipping. I have questioned the cables or wiring harness and seliniod but it is at that age where they could need replaced . Also does anybody know of a place to get these replacement parts that dont cost more than a new mower . I have looked around for the parts but only found ones out of my price range. Thanks

#9 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 02:02 PM

One other thing to try. The timing on Kohler engines is related to the point gap. Is it possible that it is stopping the stater when the engine is firiing or even kicking the engine backwards when it fires? If it is try adjusting the point gap and see what happens. As to parts, if you have a NAPA store or even other auto parts stores close to you check them out. Many of them can get small engine parts.