3 replies to this topic

#1 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 1,931 Thanks
  • 1,496 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 08:23 AM

I have an opportunity to get a 316 with a bad motor. The guy started parting it out but he has only sold the body panels. I've always wanted a hydraulic tractor and I have a chance to get this one. Its only the frame, rearend, front axle, wheels, and tires. The engine has a broken camshaft which I'm sure I could fix. I was wondering if its possible to attach this system to another tractor I have. Considering the pump is attached to the rearend would it be easier to assemble this one? I have a 200 series fronted and fender pan, will they fit? Any suggestions? Oh and the tractor also has all the aux. ports on it.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 10:18 AM

Is it the single cylinder 316 or the later twin cylinder version? The rear frame configuration on the older 300's is very different than the gear drive tractors. The transmission is setup to be driven by a shaft which would be very difficult to adapt to a belt drive setup in a 200 series frame. You can probably find the panels at a GT recycler (check wih our sponsors). If the engine is a Kohler K341 you should be able to get a cam pretty easily as well.

#3 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 1,931 Thanks
  • 1,496 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 02:31 PM

I'm not sure what year it is. The guy who has it has never had a tractor like this. The conversations are a little tough with him. He got it to part out. I'm thinking I will pass on it. I don't know of it would be worth it if I got a different pump and use everything from that system.

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,792 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 09:12 AM

No matter what flavor the 316 is your proposed swap is huge. That being said, if you can buy it right it would be a GREAT machine to invest some time and money. The 200 series are great machines but the 300 series with the hydrostatic drives are on an entirely different level. If it were me I would pick it up and get it going.