• steroblan said thank you

#17 steroblan OFFLINE  

steroblan

• Member No: 2450
  • 24 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 11:21 PM

earthca4.JPG earthca6.JPG earthca7.JPG earthca11.JPG earthca13.JPG

So I got the hitch cutoff and modified the lift arm to gain the correct angle, then welded them back on at the correct spacing, then made a new cross brace out of seamless tubing. Once everything was welded solid, I hooked it up and tried it out. I was well pleased with the capability of the Earthcavator with the rollover scarifiers and reverse blade. Some day when I come across the 3-point hardware for the GT16H I'll have to make mounts for that but until now I'm happy with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• earthca14.JPG
  • earthca15.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 01:03 AM

Looks like an easy job! Like your tractor, too! Thanks.

#19 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 10:06 AM

Your modification turned out very nice. You probably won't live long enough to wear out the Earthcavator if used as intended. They are tough.

#20 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 10:29 AM

Looks great! Nice job. I want one!!

#21 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 01:35 PM

i just got one a couple weeks ago for my bolens 1050 an i love it. i still have it hooked up lol... i want to restore it one day but i dont know of anyone that makes them decals

#22 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 22, 2012 - 06:50 AM

... but i dont know of anyone that makes them decals

Here ya go:

http://www.clickitan...cavator-decals/
  • 1967bolens collector said thank you

#23 E350 OFFLINE  

E350
  • Member No: 70442
  • 7 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 11:33 AM

Hey guys:  This is a great thread.  I would like to have you guys add to it to help me, and likely to help others who come across it in the future.

I just bought a Gannon Earthcavator 42"  five scarifier box scraper.  The model/serial no. plate is missing.  It is a five scarifier model.  One of the scarifiers was missing so I just ordered a scarifier "assembly"  (shank with tooth attached) for $13.26 and $5.95 shipping (she was initially reluctant to try USPS sm. Flat Rate Box but eventually did as a test) from Leian Clews at HL Tooth Company.  Here is her company contact:

"Please send the information to my direct email: leianclews@hltooth.com or phone number 800 HLTOOTH (800-458-6684) or 918-272-0951"

Now that I have started dissembling the Eartcavator to phosphorous strip the rust off for repainting I have a few questions.

1.  Looking at the pictures on this thread and some others I noticed that a new scraper blade is supposed to be maybe 1.25" higher that the box sides?  Does anyone know how high it is supposed to be?

2.  My scraper blades are both worn down to the height of the box sides (they are approx. 3" wide each).  can I just redrill and reposition or will I stress the box scraper due to the reduction in rigidity due to the reduction in overlap of the scraper blade over the length of the box where it attaches?

3.  Is the scraper blade made of some high carbon steel so that I cannot just use say 4" x 3/8" flat bar?

4.  Does anyone make replacement blades?

5.  I had to cut off some of the blade attachment bolts.  And some of them just spun so I had to use Vice Grips to hold the bolt to unscrew the hex nut.  Are these just carriage bolts or are they a special bolt?  And if so where can I buy them?

6.  On to attachment, my older Craftsman GT6000 20HP (Model No. 917.250051) has an electric hitch sleeve.  Do your think that the electric hitch sleeve bear the weight of raising the Earthcavator?

7.  Steroblan:  I like how you cut off and then just re-used but widened and re-welded the Earthcavator lower attachment arms to fit your gt.  I am thinking of doing the same thing.  I also lengthen the arms because they extend only 9" from box to pivot/attachment point on my gt and my Ag tires extend back 9" from that same point? 

8.  I was thinking about using my log splitter to take the bend out of the handle.  Any other suggestions?

9.  How long should I bake the phosphoric acid, paint stripped now Rustoleum primed and painted scarifiers on the top shelf of my BBQ?  Until just pink inside?

10.  Any other comments/suggestions/things I missed? 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01337 - lq.jpg
  • DSC01378l.jpg
  • DSC01381l.jpg
  • DSC01375l.jpg
  • DSC01385 - lq.jpg

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 05:35 PM

Hey guys:  This is a great thread.  I would like to have you guys add to it to help me, and likely to help others who come across it in the future.

I just bought a Gannon Earthcavator 42"  five scarifier box scraper.  The model/serial no. plate is missing.  It is a five scarifier model.  One of the scarifiers was missing so I just ordered a scarifier "assembly"  (shank with tooth attached) for $13.26 and $5.95 shipping (she was initially reluctant to try USPS sm. Flat Rate Box but eventually did as a test) from Leian Clews at HL Tooth Company.  Here is her company contact:

"Please send the information to my direct email: leianclews@hltooth.com or phone number 800 HLTOOTH (800-458-6684) or 918-272-0951"

Now that I have started dissembling the Eartcavator to phosphorous strip the rust off for repainting I have a few questions.

1.  Looking at the pictures on this thread and some others I noticed that a new scraper blade is supposed to be maybe 1.25" higher that the box sides?  Does anyone know how high it is supposed to be?

2.  My scraper blades are both worn down to the height of the box sides (they are approx. 3" wide each).  can I just redrill and reposition or will I stress the box scraper due to the reduction in rigidity due to the reduction in overlap of the scraper blade over the length of the box where it attaches?

3.  Is the scraper blade made of some high carbon steel so that I cannot just use say 4" x 3/8" flat bar?

4.  Does anyone make replacement blades?

5.  I had to cut off some of the blade attachment bolts.  And some of them just spun so I had to use Vice Grips to hold the bolt to unscrew the hex nut.  Are these just carriage bolts or are they a special bolt?  And if so where can I buy them?

6.  On to attachment, my older Craftsman GT6000 20HP (Model No. 917.250051) has an electric hitch sleeve.  Do your think that the electric hitch sleeve bear the weight of raising the Earthcavator?

7.  Steroblan:  I like how you cut off and then just re-used but widened and re-welded the Earthcavator lower attachment arms to fit your gt.  I am thinking of doing the same thing.  I also lengthen the arms because they extend only 9" from box to pivot/attachment point on my gt and my Ag tires extend back 9" from that same point? 

8.  I was thinking about using my log splitter to take the bend out of the handle.  Any other suggestions?

9.  How long should I bake the phosphoric acid, paint stripped now Rustoleum primed and painted scarifiers on the top shelf of my BBQ?  Until just pink inside?

10.  Any other comments/suggestions/things I missed? 

:wave: Welcome to the forum! With the length of that post, I say you aren't a spammer! LOL!  Give the folks a bit to digest all those words!

#25 E350 OFFLINE  

E350
  • 7 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 07:09 PM

Thanks Kenny!  I try to provide info as well as ask for it.  That is why I answered the question posed by the OP:  HL Tooth Co. is where you can buy scarifiers for Gannon Earthcavators.  Go Leian, go! 

Now I just have to get replacement blades, the appropriate studs, modify attachment points for my gt, and get an Owner's Manual.  (So, I guess you are right, I could have asked my questions with a lot fewer words..

P.S.  The baked scarifiers turned out yummy! 

Edited by E350, May 17, 2015 - 07:12 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#26 E350 OFFLINE  

E350
  • 7 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 10:54 AM

In a pm, Steroblan suggested, in order to see if my electric sleeve hitch would be able to handle the 42" Gannon Earthcavator, that I add 100 lbs to my furrow plow and see how the Craftsman electric sleeve handles that.  I will try the weight test.  I am committed to doing this regardless however.  So I will add a heavier duty electric motor or weld up a manual "assist" lever if I have too.

Replacement Wear Scraper Blades:  Looking at the various old Gannon Earthcavator advertising brochures online, and Bing "image" searches of restored Earthcavators, it looks like wear scraper blades are supposed to extend about 1 1/4" past the box, to prevent the box lip from wearing.  So I figure that a 4" wide wear scraper blade with attachment bolt holes in the middle of the width will give the blades that 1 1/4" edge and will also permit  reversable edges.  (My attachment bolt holes are 3/4" from the box lip, so 4"/2=2"-3/4"= 1 1/4" blade extension. 

Forget about having a company build your replacement wear scraper blades.  As previously mentioned, Kenco Engineering wanted to help but quoted $203 per blade for one edge carbon-hardened.  Cutting Edge Supply was also very helpful - even made calls to track down the current manufacturer of Earthcavator - only to verify that it is no longer manufactured - but they declined to give me a quote, telling me that I "wouldn't want to know." 

So instead, I bought two pieces of 1/4" x 4" x 41 3/4" Plow Steel for $64.38 from Ryan at S&K Steel in Sacramento, CA, Tel.: (916) 381-5359.  Ralph at S&K Steel confirmed that if I use carbon bits in a drill press with thread cutting oil, that I will be able to drill and chamfer the holes for plow bolts and that I will also be able to put an edge on the blade with a grinding wheel if I go slow. 

(My blades were worn down to 3" and were even with the box sides but luckily the box sides were not worn.)  

Plow Bolts:  My Gannon Earthcavator uses a 3/8-16 x 3/4" "plow bolt."  A plow bolt has a square carriage bolt shoulder which bevels up at a triangular angle to a flat head.  Plow bolts come in Grade 5 and Grade 8, but I can't find them in that length so I just bought some 3/8-16 3/4" flat head allen socket head bolts from Blue Collar Supply in Sacramento, CA.  They should work fine.  The original Gannon Earthcavator plow bolts are 1" long overall with a 5/8's flat head which says this on top "140M P.S.I."   Guess what that means?  It totally stumped me.  Janet (below) says 140,000 pounds per square inch hardness.  "M" stands for "thousands" not metric. 

Plow Bolt Holes:  Apparently plow bolts are 82 degrees which is a much more steep angled counter sink than can be achieved with just a regular carbide metal bit.  But Janet at Alma Bolt Company & Prime Fasteners in Michigan 1-800-526-2200 which sells plow bolts is trying to find the right drill bit or countersink bit.  Go Janet!

Replacement Scarifiers:  One of the scarifiers was missing on my used 42" Earthcavator when I purchased it off craigslist for $160.  So I ordered a scarifier "assembly" (shank with tooth attached) for $13.26 and $5.95 shipping (in USPS Small Flat Rate Box) from Leian Clews at HL Tooth Company.  Here is her company contact:

I have since received the replacement scarifier and it looks identical to and just as strong and the crimped on tooth is even sharper than the four other scarifiers which were on the Earthcavator when I purchased it.

Earthcavator lower attachment arms:  It looks like Steroblan widened the lower two attachment arms to connect to the axle on his garden tractor.  The lower attachment arms for the electric sleeve hitch on the 1993 Craftsman GT6000 connect to the frame slightly behind or over the axle.  So I bought two 1/2" x 2" x 18" flat bar from S&K Steel to weld onto the Earthcavator in a widened position to fit my gt.  Although my mig machine will weld 1/2" steel, I have never welded anything that thick so I will buy or beg some practice scrap. 

Paint:  I am using phosphoric acid ("Etch and Prep" or OSPO) to strip off the rust and will probably hit the stubborn places with a flap wheel on an angle grinder or a belt sander.  For paint I should probably should have the thing powdered coated or use a two part paint, but I am just going to use Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer followed with Rustoleum Sunburst Yellow gloss paint both brushed and in quart cans.

Anyway that's the plan.  If any of you guys and gals have suggestions, please feel free to post them.  All help is appreciated. 

I will post photos when I get going on this project. 

Edited by E350, May 22, 2015 - 04:15 PM.

• LPBolens and KennyP have said thanks