Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens Snow Caster To A 1257 Lift Attachment Help Needed.

1257 bolens snow caster

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 scottwitha1257 OFFLINE  

scottwitha1257
  • Member No: 11061
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 08:30 AM

I am trying to attach a snow caster lift arm to my Bolens 1257. The arm is a flat bar that is slotted at one end and has 2 holes on the other end. It is also dog legged. Which end attaches to the the snowcaster? Slotted or hole? Also does the knee of the dog leg go up or down? Once attached to the snow caster does the bar go above the front axel or below (I think above)? Then I am guessing the other end attaches directly to the pin that travels front to back. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• Arron Mower 1.JPG

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 08:33 AM

Welcome to the forum! There are some great Bolens gurus here who can help, I am not one of them. I just wanted to welcome you! :welcometogttalk:

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 08:53 AM

I am trying to attach a snow caster lift arm to my Bolens 1257. The arm is a flat bar that is slotted at one end and has 2 holes on the other end. It is also dog legged. Which end attaches to the the snowcaster? Slotted or hole? Also does the knee of the dog leg go up or down? Once attached to the snow caster does the bar go above the front axel or below (I think above)? Then I am guessing the other end attaches directly to the pin that travels front to back. Yes. ....It is connected to the pin on the lift lever which is above the pivot. Any help is greatly appreciated.

There is also a pin on the lower portion of the lift arm, below the pivot, but that is not used for the snowcaster or front blade.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#4 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 09:47 AM

Looks to be in pretty good shape from that one picture. :welcome: to GTTalk, looking forward to more info on the 1257, and others,
( if you have more..)
I'm also wondering what trend led to some of these Bolens getting the red paint treatment. :anyone:

#5 scottwitha1257 OFFLINE  

scottwitha1257
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 09:57 AM

I only purchased this last Sunday for my son to use. He, like me, loves the old stuff and we will take good care of this unit. I am into old outboard engines but have enjoyed working on this tractor. I may have a new hobby, if my wife will tolerate it. It appears that there are just as many tractor nuts out there as there are outboard motor nuts.

#6 scottwitha1257 OFFLINE  

scottwitha1257
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Also...Thank you for the info on that lift arm and the warm welcome.

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 01:14 PM

Here's a picture how the lift link mounts. (Plow mounts the same as the snow caster)

Attached Thumbnails

• belt replacenent 010.JPG

• MailmAn said thank you

#8 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'm also wondering what trend led to some of these Bolens getting the red paint treatment. :anyone:

I've often wondered that myself. I have seen quite a few Bolens on here and for sale on eBay or Craigslist that have been painted all red. I'm wondering if it is because some of the later mower decks were red (instead of green) as well as the wheels, so some people thought to just paint the whole thing red instead of using the white? Red is also a popular color, so maybe some owners just want a red tractor? It is also hard to find the exact match for the Bolens off-white color and that dark brown Bolens used as well. So, painting it red is just easier that way also?

Although I cannot say for certain why there seemed to have been a popular trend for painting them red. If you're looking for cheap and effective, flat black always seemed to be a popular choice for DIY paint, especially on many hot rods and rat rods. I figured I'd see a lot more black Bolens than red ones, but I guess that's not the case?

I definitely can say for sure that this paint scheme has nothing to do with making it "look good" or for any restoration purposes, but more from a "throw some paint in it so it doesn't rust any more" purpose!

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Why are we getting the sno-blower on this early?

#10 scottwitha1257 OFFLINE  

scottwitha1257
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Wow,
You folks are so helpful! When I got home from work I took the good info from you guys and attached the blower with no problems. I was glad to see everythig worked and now I can deliver it to my son. I bought it for him because he just bought a house in Grand Haven, MI with a large lawn and long dirve. He is a father that works 2 jobs and his wife works also. I am giving it to them as a house warming gift. I wanted to make sure everything was working so I went through and replaced all the fluids, the hyd. filter, lube, lights, belts and two new rear tires. I also tore the mower deck apart replaced the belt lubed it up and sharpend the blades. I wanted to try out the blower to see if it needed anything. I feel he is getting a nice machine and it should serve him well. Thank you all for the help. Now I want to buy one for myself and resore it. I will keep my eyes open and jump on one if it is a great deal. I added a picture of the tractor with the blower attached. Thanks again

Scott

Attached Thumbnails

• 1257 with snow blower.JPG

• MailmAn said thank you

#11 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 11:15 PM

Wow,
You folks are so helpful! When I got home from work I took the good info from you guys and attached the blower with no problems. I was glad to see everythig worked and now I can deliver it to my son. I bought it for him because he just bought a house in Grand Haven, MI with a large lawn and long dirve. He is a father that works 2 jobs and his wife works also. I am giving it to them as a house warming gift. I wanted to make sure everything was working so I went through and replaced all the fluids, the hyd. filter, lube, lights, belts and two new rear tires. I also tore the mower deck apart replaced the belt lubed it up and sharpend the blades. I wanted to try out the blower to see if it needed anything. I feel he is getting a nice machine and it should serve him well. Thank you all for the help. Now I want to buy one for myself and resore it. I will keep my eyes open and jump on one if it is a great deal. I added a picture of the tractor with the blower attached. Thanks again

Scott

Scott welcome to GTtalk your not to far from me.
If your lucky buying bolens will tern into this......VVVVVV

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 04:49 AM

Just wanted to say,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#13 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 07:34 AM

Why are we getting the sno-blower on this early?

:bigrofl: BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Good point!!! I guess he wanted to have it all figured out well in advance in case we get an early September snowstorm? Hey, he does live in Michigan! Stranger things have happened...

#14 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 07:41 AM

I was glad to see everything worked and now I can deliver it to my son. I bought it for him because he just bought a house in Grand Haven, MI with a large lawn and long dirve. He is a father that works 2 jobs and his wife works also. I am giving it to them as a house warming gift. I wanted to make sure everything was working on it...

Wow! I gotta hand it to you then, you're a great father! I wish *MY* dad gave me a nice old Bolens like that! I had to get mine on my own, lol! Your son is getting a hell of a nice tractor, I hope he appreciates it and all the work you put into it to get it ready for him! In the second picture you posted, that red paintjob looks totally different now. It's like a more metallic deeper red and I actually kinda like it. It's starting to grow on me! In the first pic, it just looks like a plain old faded bright red or something. The second pic looks much better!

Glad you got the blower attached okay and everything works! Tell your son he should join the forum as well and keep us up to date on his "new" (to him) Bolens!!!

#15 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 09:27 AM

scott..that sounds like a great gift with purpose, thanks for sharing the inspiration and happy hunting when you go looking for your own.
Did you mean you're going for another Bolens?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1257, bolens, snow caster