4x4 lawnmower

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 swabbster3 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10353
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 11:45 PM

has anyone ever modified a ride on mower to be AWD? i was thinking stock rims, aftermarket knobby tires, one trans-axle and one diff, there has to be a front diff so it can turn easy, i know with my arctic cat 700 h1 when i have the front diff locked it is really hard to turn, so would not be good for cruzing around, but i have made a sketchup of what i want to do, i have a old peerless 5 speed with the axles cut down to about an inch and a half, so i can weld a sprocket to both sides and using it in the center will allow the front and rear to spin a different speeds for turning, the front steering would be like a solid front axle on a truck, big strong steering knuckles, no suspension but would be a beast in off road well for a lawn mower anyway, will not be used to mow lawns tho, just for messing around also if say a chain snaps then the diff will spin the side with the broken chain, and will not drive, bad in some situations, so i could weld the center diff, let me know what you guys think of my idea, and if i leave the center diff on snow and stuff if i gas it to spin the tires witch ever ones have less traction will spin, so one front one really fast, not good, so i think if i would set up a locker and if that can not be done just weld it up solid,

Attached Thumbnails

• awd lawnmower.jpg

Edited by swabbster3, August 22, 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#2 swabbster3 OFFLINE  

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 12:03 AM

IMG_0671.JPG IMG_0672.JPG IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0674.JPG it came out of a lawnmower i bought for 20 bucks, it worked great all gears worked diff worked brakes worked, i cut the axles to get the wheels off for a go kart, but i can buy a weld on hub and sprocket setup for a 3/4 bore and just weld it to the axle,

Edited by swabbster3, August 23, 2012 - 12:06 AM.

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 03:39 AM

If your going to run stock rims (I'm assuming smaller tires in front than in back) you will have to leave the diff in the trans the way it is to allow both axles to turn without fighting each other, unless you figure out the right ratio on the sprockets to compensate for the small wheels on the front. IMO you should run the same size tires front and back so the diff could be welded. But thinking about it a little more you should have a diff on the rear axle also to keep from going straight when turning if the rear wheels have more traction than the front. I'm sure somebody on here will have more advice/ideas. Good luck :thumbs: and :welcometogttalk: by the way!

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 04:42 AM

Welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.
It has been do a few times,but there is quite a lot of work to it.
Good luck with this project.Keep us up to date.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 05:18 AM

Without a dif on the rear wheels you will have trouble turning on hard surfaces unless you can generate wheel spin. Think about how an ATV handles. Most AWD systems on small tractors have an open dif in the front or use a hydraulic motor system that cuts out one wheel when you are making turns. Like Maynard said above it's a lot of work to get something that will work on all types of terrain.

#6 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,278 Thanks
  • 6,482 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Welcome to GTtalk , neat project , myself I think if you could disengage the front axle , maybe use a belt with a tensioner if you ran into steering issues you would still have 4x4 when you needed it ,good luck , Al

#7 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 05:53 AM

I love the concept of a 4x4 gr. There is a guy on my website who built one. I'll see if I can find the link. It might give you some ideas. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Sent using Droid.

#8 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,439 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 06:53 AM

The main issue that I see, and I might be missing something, is that the chain to the front axle is a fixed length, but the distance between the trans-axle & the front axle sprocket changes when you turn left or right (assuming a pivoting front axle as in you diagram). You would need on massive chain tensioner. If you go with a solid axle with pivoting wheels, you would need a front diff or second trans-axle. Problem is that the chain would be running in the wrong plane for that. The chain would be running "vertical", but the trans-axle would need "horizontal" input. The diff would want rotational input, like a PTO. You might just as well run two trans-axles off of one belt from a centre mounted engine. The front Trans-axle would have to be centred so it could pivot around the input pulley. IMO.

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 07:12 AM

Welcome. That's an interesting project. Glad you joined. Keep us posted with your progress.

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 07:49 AM

Welcome to the site! The main problem I see is that they are still solid axles. Yes, when you turn the front has to turn faster but the big difference in speed is between the sides. If you are turning left, the right side must turn faster. And with this set-up you will be ok with speed differences between the front and rear axles, but not the left side tires and right side tires.

I think you should get another identical trans axle and have one on each axle. you can use the cut down one for the front and the other normal sized one for the back. Being that it is belt driven it would not be hard to hook up another trans axle.

#11 swabbster3 OFFLINE  

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 11:35 AM

solid front axle.jpg steering knuckle.jpg

#12 Salatino OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 12:59 PM

hows this for a 4x4 gt, i hope it shows up 4 you guys to see4x4cub.jpg

#13 philips100 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4935
  • 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Check out the original Mini-Beep, offered by the C.F. Struck Corp. It may interest you to see what they did.

#14 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 10:01 AM

interesting... I would use a set of narrowed Samuri axles though.

#15 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 12:09 PM

I was fearful of opening this thread thinking that I'd then want to build 4x4 into mine. Then I saw that Cub and that made it all the more worse. That is cool.

Actually, I had considered it previously as doing it as some kind of freak experiment. The thing that I got stuck on is that it is incredibly difficult to DIY a 4x4 system and keep room for the mower deck. We once had a kubota 4x4 and having it built in to the framework of the tractor is the only way to retain that kind of deck clearance.