Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Ever Repower A Ford Lgt165 With A B&s Flat Twin?

repower lgt 165 b&s k341

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 09:03 PM

I think this thread probably ought to be a part of the one I started under "My LGT165 Odyssey". I'm going to pick up that thread on this machine, since it's still an ongoing process...

Regards,

Utah Smitty

#17 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 10:18 PM

I bought a 216 Deere and pulled the motor to put in my LGT165.. I'm glad that I had the entire tractor..

My Ford has the side panels so the oil pan is not welded in, So far good news for me.

1. The oil pan was different so the first step is to swap that. The extra tabs on the Deere block will fit in the Ford cradle but is a snug fit.

2. The flywheel has different bolt pattern to hook to the hydro so you need to change flywheels..

3. Carb linkage is different. Hmm I changed the carb and the linkage, you might get by with different control cables.

4. The wires on the Ford were sort of butchered up so the wires were pulled from the Deere and fit with the exception of the wire for the electric clutch needed to extend that a little bit.

5. The muffler including the pipe that goes to the exhaust port is different. So just change them from the old motor.

6. Now for the headache... The shaft size is bigger on the Ford crankshaft than on the Deere.. I think you could put a bushing in however I just used the one that was on the Deere and just cut the outside pulley off because it would hit the exhaust shield. The pulleys are fairly close in size and I had to buy new belts for the snowblower and mower deck anyway. I'm unsure if the original belt would fit or not ???

It took a day to put the motor in. It's close to original so nothing needs to be changed like the hood or side panels etc. These 16 Hp Kolher motors supply an amazing amount of power in these tractors.

I sold the Deck,Hood, and Dash from the Deere to recoup some of my investment and as a bonus the rear rims and tires are a direct fit onto the Ford. The front tires are the same size however the front rims are different.

The only special tools used was a tachometer to adjust the engine speed and a plasma cutter to cut the extra pulley off of the clutch.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#18 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 01:44 AM

I bought a 216 Deere and pulled the motor to put in my LGT165.. I'm glad that I had the entire tractor..

My Ford has the side panels so the oil pan is not welded in, So far good news for me.

1. The oil pan was different so the first step is to swap that. The extra tabs on the Deere block will fit in the Ford cradle but is a snug fit.

2. The flywheel has different bolt pattern to hook to the hydro so you need to change flywheels..

3. Carb linkage is different. Hmm I changed the carb and the linkage, you might get by with different control cables.

4. The wires on the Ford were sort of butchered up so the wires were pulled from the Deere and fit with the exception of the wire for the electric clutch needed to extend that a little bit.

5. The muffler including the pipe that goes to the exhaust port is different. So just change them from the old motor.

6. Now for the headache... The shaft size is bigger on the Ford crankshaft than on the Deere.. I think you could put a bushing in however I just used the one that was on the Deere and just cut the outside pulley off because it would hit the exhaust shield. The pulleys are fairly close in size and I had to buy new belts for the snowblower and mower deck anyway. I'm unsure if the original belt would fit or not ???

It took a day to put the motor in. It's close to original so nothing needs to be changed like the hood or side panels etc. These 16 Hp Kolher motors supply an amazing amount of power in these tractors.

I sold the Deck,Hood, and Dash from the Deere to recoup some of my investment and as a bonus the rear rims and tires are a direct fit onto the Ford. The front tires are the same size however the front rims are different.

The only special tools used was a tachometer to adjust the engine speed and a plasma cutter to cut the extra pulley off of the clutch.

Thanks for the info. I just drove 300 mi round trip to get an engine out of a JD300... same story as you said, esp. the shaft size. I need to keep the two sheave setup of the Ford because I have a snowblower that runs off the second sheave.

Regards,

#19 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 10:06 AM

I'm curious which snow blower that you have ? I have the dual stage blower and the drive pulley lines up with the small pulley..
Model number is 09JC9849.

#20 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 05:52 PM

I'm curious which snow blower that you have ? I have the dual stage blower and the drive pulley lines up with the small pulley..
Model number is 09JC9849.

I have the two stage snowblower as well. I haven't hooked it up, yet, but I need to use the old electric PTO clutch because it has two pulleys--a small one closer to the block, and a larger one on the end.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repower, lgt 165, b&s, k341