Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Ever Repower A Ford Lgt165 With A B&s Flat Twin?

repower lgt 165 b&s k341

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 11:09 PM

I'm not sure if this needs to be in the Diesel Repower Forum so if I need to move it, I can.

I'm trying to get my Ford LGT165 going. I've looked for a good running Kohler K341 engine... plenty for John Deere, etc. Will these work in the Ford?

Another option is that I have a good running B&S 18 hp flat twin with 1" shaft.

Has anyone repowered the Ford LGT series with one of these engines, or the similar Kohler?

Thanks,

Utah Smitty

#2 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 02:15 AM

Utah...While I've not repowered aniy of them, what I know is at least on my 165's the oil pans are welded in place so they would have to be separated and remounted to the oilpan after a rebuild. I've found the Kohlers to be pretty robust, so that would be my recommendation. Find a 16hp kohler and mount it to your oil pan, or Rebuild yours...I've not heard much bad about them and I've had a few for quite some time...so given the reliability, and robustness you just can't beat a Kohler K series...IMHO

Which 165 do you have open sided or one with the metal sides?

Good Luck
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 03:25 AM

Yes Steve the twin fits and works, you just need a few mods to do it. I have all the pieces to fit the engine in the frame and attack the pto and driveshaft. You may have a hard time with getting a muffler to fit, but the rest is easy peasy. The side panels need a minor trim at the very bottom to clear, and the wiring for charging and ignition will need to be altered. How do I know this.... I did it to mine before the diesel was installed. Oh almost
forgot, you need to put a dent in the frame for starter clearance and drill new holes for the mule cross shaft and then replace your beck pto belt with one 3" longer.
Sounds like a lot but really is very easy. Could be done in a Saturday with the stuff I made for mine. Mounting the engine with proper cradle was the hardest part because the mounts are very custom!
http://m699.photobuc...0_1953.jpg.html
Once in my album check it out there is the evolution of my 165 in there. The opening pic the link brings you to is 2 weeks after I got it.....

Edited by skyrydr2, August 23, 2012 - 03:43 AM.

• CASENUT and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 12:11 PM

Utah...While I've not repowered aniy of them, what I know is at least on my 165's the oil pans are welded in place so they would have to be separated and remounted to the oilpan after a rebuild. I've found the Kohlers to be pretty robust, so that would be my recommendation. Find a 16hp kohler and mount it to your oil pan, or Rebuild yours...I've not heard much bad about them and I've had a few for quite some time...so given the reliability, and robustness you just can't beat a Kohler K series...IMHO

Which 165 do you have open sided or one with the metal sides?

Good Luck

I have the sides on mine... the engine also is mounted on rubber mounts on a metal cradle instead of being welded to the frame.

I've found a couple K341 Kohlers, but they were for JDs or Simplicitys so I don't know if the will work in the Ford.

I have a good B&S 18 hp twin... thought it might work well.

#5 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 12:24 PM

listen to skyrdr2 sounds like he has good scoop for your tractor

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 01:06 PM

Yes Steve the twin fits and works, you just need a few mods to do it. I have all the pieces to fit the engine in the frame and attack the pto and driveshaft. You may have a hard time with getting a muffler to fit, but the rest is easy peasy. The side panels need a minor trim at the very bottom to clear, and the wiring for charging and ignition will need to be altered. How do I know this.... I did it to mine before the diesel was installed. Oh almost
forgot, you need to put a dent in the frame for starter clearance and drill new holes for the mule cross shaft and then replace your beck pto belt with one 3" longer.
Sounds like a lot but really is very easy. Could be done in a Saturday with the stuff I made for mine. Mounting the engine with proper cradle was the hardest part because the mounts are very custom!
http://m699.photobuc...0_1953.jpg.html
Once in my album check it out there is the evolution of my 165 in there. The opening pic the link brings you to is 2 weeks after I got it.....

That's good information. I went to your photobucket site, but the pictures are small, and I don't know how to enlarge them so I can see the detail.

I know I'm graphics-challenged... how do I view larger pictures of them?

Steve

#7 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 01:23 PM

I'm not sure? You can save the ones you want to view in detail and open them with picture FAX veiwer or for a hazy view, control and center mouse scroll wheel. Or open up your own accountand then view with ease.

Edited by skyrydr2, August 23, 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 04:08 PM

Okay, I'll try that. I'm on a computer from work and it may limit the display size.

US

#9 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Smitty, I have talked with Skyrider also on repowering my 145 with the B/S. If / when the day comes I will probally lean towards finding another Kohler, or simular type engine, even if it comes from one of those Green machines due to all the mods that would be needed for the B/S. Plus I have a use for the spare B/S on another tractor. Not trying to discourage, anything is possible.

Attached Thumbnails

• clean%201.JPG
  • Hulk%20II%202.JPG
  • P1030180.JPG

#10 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 11:17 PM

Smitty, I have talked with Skyrider also on repowering my 145 with the B/S. If / when the day comes I will probally lean towards finding another Kohler, or simular type engine, even if it comes from one of those Green machines due to all the mods that would be needed for the B/S. Plus I have a use for the spare B/S on another tractor. Not trying to discourage, anything is possible.

Yeah, I think I'll do the same. I just missed a K341 from a JD on eBay... sold for $199 + $150 for shipping. I'll keep looking--I'm not sure what condition mine is in until I pull it, open it up and assess the damage.

I've not rebuilt one of these, but they don't seem to be too difficult... only problem would be if the crank needs turned or the cylinder bored out... I need to find a good shop here locally that specializes in small engines.

Regards,

Steve

#11 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 09:59 AM

You's guys are sissies where's your sense of adventure? I'll send you all the goodies as I don't need them and you could be driving it around in a few hours! To install the engine and mounts might take 2 hours tops with hand tools. ;) :)

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 11:11 AM

You's guys are sissies where's your sense of adventure? I'll send you all the goodies as I don't need them and you could be driving it around in a few hours! To install the engine and mounts might take 2 hours tops with hand tools. ;) :)

Thanks, I needed that!! (I think...)

Utah Smitty

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 11:18 AM

My briggs has a sheet metal duct that extends back from the exhaust area...I need to measure to see if that will fit inside the Ford compartment...

Steve

#14 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 05:06 PM

Lol take a picture of it so I can verify that it will work ;)

#15 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 09:00 PM

Keith

I noticed that the link for your pictures says "Mobile Photobucket". I('ve opened a Photobucket account, but they weren't any larger than when I viewed them from this site. I've copied the pictures to my computer and opened Microsoft Picture Manager--I can zoom in, but the quality goes way down--hard to make out details.

I wonder if the link is for those with a mobile phone to view pics and keeps them smaller in size so they don't take up as much memory on the phone, etc.

On another note, here are some pics of the B&S 18 hp I'm thinking of using.2012-08-24_19-15-04_144.jpg 2012-08-24_19-15-20_611.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repower, lgt 165, b&s, k341